SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is this ok?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

Is this ok?

I attended a church, that was having a dedication service for a baby. It was held on a Saturday rather than Sunday because the church was closed Sunday.

We had the service, attended by many.

But it was what happended after that bothered me, and I can't put my finger on it.

After the service, using a video projector and a laptop, they watched the soccer world cup, in the church. It was projected onto a big screen.

Can't say I watched. Its not something that interests me.

But, I felt it was wrong to be watching this, just after having a service, in which God was supposed to have been honoured.

Is this ok? Is it acceptable to switch from God to any entertainment?

If not, why not?

Don't know if there will be any replies. But if there are, could you please use scripture to show your position.

There is a scripture or two that comes to my mind concerning this, but I don't want to influence people, so I won't mention them yet.

Thanks.

2010/6/24 4:52Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Re: Is this ok?

I so hope Enid that you read the Word much and pray. You already have the answer.

I John 2:20 says, "But you have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things." This is a declaration from the Word that you have the Holy Spirit telling you when something is wrong. When we first bear witness to it, it is very strong. Then, when we begin to reason and ask others their opinions, our initial witness begins to fade.

James 4:4 declares that is we are friends with the world, we are enemies of God.

I guess maybe you had a picture of where the hearts of the people were. They wanted to serve God and then set up the idols afterwards. It is worldwide now. It is so sad.

We must simply choose to come out and be separated people. Every idle word we speak and everything fruitless deed is being recorded even in heaven.

God bless and give you wisdom in all of this Enid.

2010/6/24 5:17Profile
jer78

Re:

Well, I think you're on the right path Enid, and actually letting the Holy Spirit guide you about areas of ministry that become unscriptural, worldly, man centered ministries. I would think that your objections to this and the feelings of this not being right are not mere opinion or feelings. I believe the Holy Spirit convicted you of the necessity of something not being right. Seriously, if you wanted to watch the world cup, you could go to the local bar, Tgi Friday, etc, not in church. Very sad, when the only place left in society to hear the truth proclaimed, and lives changed the local New Testament Church becomes a place of carnality and cheap entertainment. I would align myself as quickly as possible with a church that preaches and teaches the truth of God's word without compromise and do not feel bad if you question. Remember in Acts 17:11, there was a group of people who "searched the Scriptures daily" to see if what they were being taught was right. What a challenge. Keep the faith and I think you're on the riht path to objecting to that type of behaviour in a ministry. God bless you.

2010/6/24 6:31Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

There was a scripture that came to mind when all this took place.

In Matthew 21, Jesus drives out those who were using the temple improperly, for it was the be a house of prayer, but rather had been turned into a den of thieves.

Maybe they were not stealing, but they sure were not praying either.

Also, it tells us in 1 Corinthians 11v1 to imitate Christ.

I fail to see how the Lord Jesus Christ would do something like this in a place that is supposed to be used for prayer.

The flesh wants this, the spirit doesn't.

2010/6/24 8:20Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i am not religeous at all and believe that we are the church and that the building is nothing but a building.jimp

2010/6/24 8:51Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Enid, I agree with your sense of unease. You know? sometimes something just does not seem right and we may be at loss to fully explain it, but it is there...we do well to listen to it - this is an act of faith. At some point the reasons will become clear.

God bless you
ginnyrose

2010/6/24 9:11Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Maybe a building is just a building. But if so, Jesus was being overly religious when He drove the moneychangers out of the temple?

What was the temple for? Didn't Jesus say it was for prayer?

So when we use a church building, do we use it to play pool, watch soccer, play air hockey?

What is the church building for?

Hmmm. Maybe, its for the church?

2010/6/24 9:31Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Are WE not the church? Do we not have lives outside of praying at the church? Watching football at church is not a sin people, it is the heart in which you do it.

2010/6/24 10:40Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Since when do people go to church to watch football?

Is that why we go?

Why kind of comment does, 'it is the heart in which you do it' supposed to mean?

I don't understand that comment.

I used to think Christians met at a church building to worship God.

I'm wrong.

2010/6/24 10:45Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

I want to be careful in what I say. If the Lord is convicting you of these actions in your church, then it is not my place to say that it is right or wrong, regardless of my personal feelings on this. As I know you do, follow the leading of the Lord :-)

I like your statement before of "a building is just a building". That is all a church "building" is, it is a building. People can create an idol out of a church building just as much as they can out of football (soccer to us Americans :-)

The heart issue is just that, a heart issue. If you are doing something out of of a sinful heart, then it should not be done, regardless of where ever you are located. If you are doing it out of a heart of pleasing the Lord, then why does it matter where you do it, as long as it is done with a heart to glorify the Lord. If your church is doing this sinfully, then it is to be stopped.

I lead a House Church. Our House Church is held in my personal home and is considered by some to be a church when we meet. Am I now considered sinful if we do anything else in my home besides worship? Where is the line that we draw and why do we draw lines where we do? Is it because of "church tradition", or is it because of a sense of holiness that we feel can only be found in a church building?

A bunch of House Churches that we are affiliated with meet in a "church" building for Sunday worship. In this building there are many different activities that this building is used for outside of Sunday worship. Here are some of them...

Home School workshops/activites, birthdays, receptions, graduations, mens/womens groups, youth groups, day and night pray, conferences, missionary speakers, music practices, New Years eve movie night for families, trainings, etc... As you can see, not all of the activites that are held in the "church building" are directly related with prayer, but are used to glorify the Lord. Do you believe that these activities should cease?

Blessings my friend.

2010/6/24 11:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy