SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Can the Real Christians PLease Stand Up! Jonathan Lewis

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Can the Real Christians PLease Stand Up! Jonathan Lewis

PREFACE: I can already see the comments forming below. I am not doubting anyone's salvation. I am not targeting a specific church. I am not targeting a specific people or people's. This is a general observation.

1 Kings 18: 21 "And Elijah came unto all the people and said "How long halt ye betweeen two opinions? If the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, the floow him. And the people answered him not a word."

Allot of Christians that I see today are trying to ride two horses into heaven. The horse of the world and the horse of Jesus. They have their hand's raised in the air on Sunday worship and they have their hands wrapped around a bear can on Friday night. Their hand's are typing out their love for Jesus on their Facebook status's but those same hands punch out the text laced with profanity to someone who they feel has wronged them. Their eye's are looking at a pastor on during his sermon and looking at their Boyfriend or girlfriend undress any spare second they can get. The same leg's that march into their church are being used to march into that drunken party. The same laughs that they exclaim at their pastor's jokes are being exclaimed while watching Jesus get mocked on Family Guy and South Park. The same lips that sing to the Lord in worship spread horrid lies about your Brothers and Sisters in Christ when they are in private.

Why has this become almost the norm for Christians today? Why has it become the norm for Christians to not live like Christ? Becoming a Christian was not intended to be your "get out of hell free card", nor was it intended to be a strict set of rules to prevent you from ever having fun.

There is a program at my church called Reformers Unanimous to help those who have addictions. One of the first things that they try to tell those in the program is if God is against it then we should be against it. Become Christians means agreeing with 2 Timothy: 16-17. I am love the way that the NIV puts verse 16: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,". Everything in the Bible is there because God want's it to be there. It is his word. Is is not used to bind you. That's what sin does. It is used to teach you how to have a better life. It is used to tell us what is right and what is wrong. It is used to teach us how to be more like Jesus! But then I want to give you the King James translation of verse 17: "That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." Jesus Christ came because there could be no sin in Heaven. God gave us grace through the blood of Jesus Christ because he knew that once you had sinned just one time that we would be unable to get into heaven. He KNOW'S that we will never be perfect sinless people. But on that note, I feel like people are hiding behind the fact that there are "no perfect people" to justify their sinful lifestyles. Being a follower of Christ means trying to live like Christ. It does not mean living like you want and being able to go to Heaven when you die! It means reading God's word and LIVING the Bible.

The world should be able to LOOK at us and we should be like salt as Jesus said in Matthew 5:13. The Christian community is starting to loose its "saltyness". Jesus said "is the Salt have lost his savor, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men". He is saying once you as Christians have become so much a part of the world then how are you of use to him? How can you be used for Jesus if you live for the world and not him. You will end up being stepped on by the world and being trampled if you live your life for them and not Christ.

Jesus goes on to say that we are the light in a dark world in Matthew 5:14-16. Think of it this way. We are the lighthouse on the rocky shore of the earth. We are people where the rocks are so that the rocks will not destroy them. Because the world is sneaky. Just like the rocky shore it is impossible to see before it is to late without the light of Christians shinning to guide people away from the danger. Why are we helping to take part of that danger and not prevent people from it? Why have we shut down or light houses to go and play on the rocks?

Yes, Jesus Christ did come to save us from Hell and give us a chance to go to Heaven. But he also came to set us free. He knows that the lifestyles of the world are just hurting people and pulling them down. The New Testament of the Bible is not a set of rules. It list stuff we have been and can be set free from through the power of Jesus Christ. We are living in times where we are told that there is no defiant wrong or right. I am here to tell you that there is. And that right and wrong is dictated through God's word, the Bible. It is not just the job for your pastors and church leaders to try to live in Jesus and set the example. We as Christians ARE the example.

What example are we showing the world around us?

If you think that God is God then worship God with everything that you have. If you think that the World, bale, is who you want to worship then worship the world and all of its temporary pleasures. Stop ridding two horses. Get on one are the other. And above all, let's not be silent about it.

Revelation 3:16
"But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth"

2010/6/21 22:02Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy