SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Can we pray to "bind Satan"?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Silo

Can we pray to "bind Satan"?

I'm a little confused when Christians pray something like, "Satan...we bind you in the name of Jesus."

I guess I pray it to now but can someone clarify on what this exactly means. And it is it the same thing as

James 4:7

2010/6/21 11:40Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Can we pray to "bind Satan"?

I believe the phrase is taken from the scripture in Matthew 16v19.

However, in Jude v9, it tells us the archangel Michael said, 'The Lord rebuke you'

That's all I'm going to say on this subject for now.

2010/6/21 11:45Profile
Silo

Re:

So I guess if were praying it in the name of the Lord and reckognizing it's God, then it's fine.

I guess it's just different lingo we all use but as long as we believe God binds satan and we just use the word to emphasize it or repeat it.

2010/6/21 11:51Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

For the believer, Satan was bound at the Cross. We have the whole armour of God, Jesus Christ. He is like our coat of many colors, but we have to put it on for it to become effective.

Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Ephesians 6:10-16 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

Where is our strength? "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."

We have it, don't bind satan by prayer, Put it on, by Faith and His, the might of Jesus Christ rebirthed in us, this is the ability to stand against the "wiles of the devil".

IN,IN,IN,IN,IN, for ever as the Holy Spirit is in us also and the Father. Satan has no effect over this kind of Faith. Satan must flee. In Christ, Phillip

2010/6/22 12:30Profile

Quote:
I guess I pray it to now but can someone clarify on what this exactly means.

I would caution you to not pray things if you don't know what they mean.

Krispy

2010/6/22 12:46
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

If we are going to pray to bind Satan, when is it that we tell God it is OK to unbind him?

2010/6/22 14:30Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

We resist the devil by standing firm
on the Word of GOD and holding fast
to His Promises. Our authority comes
from our standing and position in
Christ; our victory comes from faith
in HIM!!

2010/6/22 14:33Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i think the phrase has been misused a lot, and many may misunderstand and interpret it differently what it means.

Myself do not use those words, but i meet people i consider walk much closer to the Lord then me pray this. But i think our hearts may have the same longing/desire to see God move in a certain way but we utter it different, the word says we are not unaware of his schemes, it does not say we should pray exactly those words, but we know what he is up to and we pray for Gods will in a specific situation, and some situations we know satan is against, so we pray to "bind" him, hinder him or we may use words like "do this Lord" or "move Lord" or similar. Why i think many "react" to the phrase is when we see these "preachers" on tv praying this on their shows with all the things going on these shows.

We know God looks at the heart in prayer, some may stutter and have a hard time articulate what their hearts burden is, God will hear them. some may pray very theologically right and wonderfully articulate and God does nothing

I am sure we all prayed things that is no where to be found in scripture. Used words , phrases etc.

just some thoughts, prayer is a divinely burden put ina limited fleshly human heart trying to express eternal things in the limited way or words. Its not always easy to draw a line what is good or wrong.

Prayer is a mystery, we are commanded to pray, yet God is not dependent upon them, yet he promised he would hear our prayers and that he will act on them. Its wonderful!

2010/6/22 15:22Profile

Re:

i never have commanded or prayed to bind the adversary.

i have cast out demons before, and the binding thingy just seems so unneccessary. Isn't the authority we have been given by Jesus blood and the power of His name enough?

Why bind him when you can, through the authority vested in us by Jesus, just tell him to "git!"

For myself, it seems that resisting him is all that is neccessary: he runs.

ALL authority is in Jesus and not what is spoken, unless words are by His Holy Spirit's leading.

g
Acts 20:32

2010/6/22 18:19
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

We have to remember that prayer is not magic, and that there are no special buzz words that do special things. After all, prayer itself does nothing, but God does. It is my conviction that binding and loosing isn't something done in prayer. I find no Scriptural evidence for this. Rather binding and loosing happens simply as we walk in the realities and authority of the kingdom of heaven. Such may include acts of prayer, but is not limited to such.

2010/6/22 23:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy