SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: ridiculous absolutely ridiculous

It's senseless to argue about styles of music! God gave you and I desires, likes and dislikes and different personalities to go with it and He called us GOOD. Imagine that! Now you people come along and tell God what He created is evil.

You guys that are against this music are of the same spirit as the worst pharisee; adding laws upon laws to that is not in Scripture and twisting it to fit your certain "take" on Scripture.

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves. Matthew 23.15

Right here is exactly why no one is dangerous in the Spirit anymore. Too busy arguing this piddly stuff on your computers.

We need to be about the Father's business - outside the computer rooms - healing the sick, praying for unsaved, backslidden, and hiding in our prayer closets seeking His face for what else needs to be done. (edit: Surely, God is not done!) The Father's business is edifying the church and helping them grow, this thread is NOT. My heart aches that our eyes have been drawn away from the Prize.

I am reposting appolus's thread, "Oh that God would make us dangerous!": (edit: CAPS are my emphasis)

We are so utterly ordinary, so commonplace, while we profess to know a Power the Twentieth Century does not reckon with. But WE ARE "HARMLESS," and therefore unharmed. We are spiritual pacifists, non-militants, conscientious objectors in this battle-to-the-death with principalities and powers in high places.

Meekness must be had for contact with men, but brass, outspoken boldness is required to take part in the comradeship of the Cross. We are "SIDELINERS"--coaching and CRITICIZING the real wrestlers while CONTENT TO SIT BY and leave the enemies of God unchallenged.

The world cannot hate us, we are too much like its own (bickering, whining, complaining, arguing). Oh that God would make us dangerous!

... Jim Elliot (1927-1956), Shadow of the Almighty: the
life & testament of Jim Elliot, Elisabeth Elliot,
Harper, 1958, p. 79

2010/6/25 18:52Profile
swimmer

Re:

I posted the original questions to get some opinions on what music is
God honoring and what is not . Obviously there are mixed feelings on it, and the Scriptures do not speak directly about the style of music (correct me if I am wrong about this). God please grant us the wisdom and discernment to see into the very heart of this matter and do that which is pleasing to you.

2010/6/25 21:46Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: Apology

I must humbly apologize for my outburst earlier and I'm just going to share a story with you about myself.

Quote:

Good music must be pure.
Good music cannot be worldly.

Let me explain my view from another angle... Fact: Lisa cannot drink alcohol, I also don't listen to country dance music or secular hip hop, reminds me of my former life. (When I say I don't listen to it, I don't make a lifestyle out of listening to it everyday or even every month!!), now I also don't drink any beverage or coffee creamer that is reminiscent of mixed drinks that I loved drinking.

Can I take a pina colada or an irish cream beverage and call it impure and worldly??? Not Biblically!!! You probably enjoy those flavors and they do not bother you at all. (edit: this is purely fictional) But along comes Lisa who's written a rather long essay and publish a book on the evils of alcohol flavored drinks in the home and in the car and blah blah blah and if I were a betting woman, I'd say I'd have an army of Christians eventually on my side, fighting my cause against alcohol flavored drinks and we could almost make a religion out of it and have new LAWS to add to the Bible. What do you think?

Are you following me? (I'm going to be bold enough to say, if you are honest with yourself, you are.)

In conclusion, The Bible steers clear on the exact "rightness" or "correctness" on any of our sacred cows (i.e. pre/mid/post-trib; OSAS; this music subject and of course the KJV vs NIV). We can have conversations ALL day long about "our" opinions but here is my major POINT ***** -> ->

When we begin teaching these 'new laws' we've come up with to other converts as hell or heaven issues, I submit to you that we have crossed the line and have begun to teach "ANOTHER GOSPEL," one that Christ never died for and in the end, you will have to stand and give an account of adding to "this book."

I don't know about you but I think that is something to consider.

God bless us as we do our best to live for Him,

2010/6/26 0:24Profile

Re:

Amen Lysa... you hit the nail on the head. You are exactly correct.

The only thing I would caution you about is your comparison of this debate about music to that of the KJV vs NIV debate. That issue is a little more black and white and cuts to the very heart of the Word of God. It's apple and oranges.

But other than that, what you just posted is exactly what I have been trying to express on this topic of music for years. We decide we don't like something... and we transfer to that God and decide God must not like it either.

Ya know what... I hate traditional Chinese music. I don't get it, I don't understand it, and it annoys the tar out of me. But I am guessing there are some folks over there in China who love the Lord and sing His praises in that style of music, and I'm guessing if it's done with a pure heart it is a beautiful thing in the ears of God.

I'm guessing when Blind Willie Johnson picked up the guitar in the 1930's down there in the Delta of Mississippi and started singing about Jesus in the only style of music he even knew (blues...) on the street corners... it was sweet in the ears of God. Even though he was black, and therefore condemned by the white folks for singing about Jesus with "race music"... I'm thinking God loved it.

Why is it ok for Christians to enjoy bluegrass (a style of music I would guess would sound horrid to people in China)? People are quick to talk about the lifestyles and lyrics associated with rock music... but ignore the fact that the lifestyles of many secular bluegrass artist are just as sinful. And I know plenty of bluegrass songs that were about cheating, murder, etc.

And country music. Oh. we love our country gospel. But country music has always been associated with drinking, cheating, etc.

Why do we ignore that?

Classical... not all composers back a few centuries ago were like Handel. Mozart was an unsaved wretch. Why do we not condemn classical musical?

Why is it that rock music seems to be the musical form that God can not redeem? Perhaps He is not strong enough? Perhaps it's the "jungle" beat? (hmmm... not racist, you say?)

There is so much duplicity and hypocrisy when it comes to this topic.

Ivory towers... they are so much fun to sit on.

(by the way, someone sent me a private message about all this and assumed I am black because of my statements about this topic. Just for the record... and am white. Not only that, I am a good ol' southern redneck. But I can not stand racism... and early on in this debate 50 years ago racism was at the core of it. We can deny that all we want, doesn't change the facts. Maybe today that isn't the core of the debate, but thats where it started and it continues today, it's just very well hidden.)

Krispy

2010/6/26 6:53
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Swimmer,

Here are a handful of musicians that have really blessed me in the last few years. Some of these may be beyond the grasp of a 12-year-old simply because of the depth of the lyrics, but you can decide that prayerfully. These artists could probably be considered folk music, but there are some pop and rock influences as well. Their desire is to create quality music and to glorify God. Most, if not all, of the these artists can be found on youtube or myspace so you can sample their music at no charge and some have free downloads on their webpages or at noisetrade.

Also, Greg Gordon mentioned the music posted on sermonindex. If you like hymns, the McCoy Family singers are really good; they sing a capella (w/o insturments).

So, without futher ado, here are some suggestions for you and your family: (After Michael Card they are in no particular order.) :)

Musicians:
Michael Card
Rich Mullins
Andrew Peterson
Randall Goodgame
Caedmon’s Call
Steve Bell
Nathan Clark George
Mark Heard
Jason Gray
Wes King
Carolyn Arends
Sara Groves
Jill Phillips
Sandra McCracken
Megan Isaacson

Hymns (Artist and Titles):
Michael Card – Hymns, Starkindler
Sandra McCracken – The Builder and the Architect, In Feast or Fallow
Jill Phillips – Kingdom Come
Fernando Ortega – The Shadow of Your Wings
Buller, Balzer & Aichele – The Hymn Project
Todd Murray – Beyond Amazing Grace

(Most of these hymn cds are the more commonly known songs with the expection of Sandra McCracken who has selected much-less-known hymns)

Instrumental hymns:
Eric Wyse

Here's a sample of one of Andrew Peterson's songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXv9Otxep4

I hope this helps.

Yours in Him,
Matthew

2010/6/26 7:39Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re: Christian music

I've been keeping up with the thread. All I can say is listen to your son's music. If the purpose is to glorify God and not man I don't think you have anything to worry about. Listen to the music. Also, I've been waiting for someone to mention a band called Leeland. I've really enjoyed their music. And since nobody wanted to mention them I had to post.

http://www.leelandonline.com/

2010/6/26 10:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Christian music

swimmer,

Your desire for your son to listen to godly music is commendable.

There is so much out there that is NOT godly and how is one to discern?

Below I will post some scripture for you to think about. Most have far-ranging applications, not just music. When making decisions one always need to consider what does the WORD say? If you are led by the Holy Spirit He will bring Scripture into your remembrance to teach you and guide you - whatever the question is at hand.

So consider:

Colossians 3:15: And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."

II Corinthians 6:14
"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

Romans 12:1 - 2
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

2 Timothy 2:15 -16
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane [and] vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness."

Matthew 7:16 - 20
"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them

Romans 1:28-32
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over, to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

On judging:

Matthew 7:1-5:

Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother,Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

COMMENT on this scripture: Notice these verse are directed to hypocrites, not godly persons who are discerning. Discerning is fundamental in distinguishing right from wrong - it is found throughout the entire scriptures (which is what led to Adam and Eve's downfall). When we take care of sin in our own lives we will be able to discern sin wherever it appears. Now read the following verses:

Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. Read Ephesians 5:1-11.

1Corinthians 2:14,15
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:for they are foolishness unto him: neither, can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

In conclusion, I would urge you to ask the LORD for the gift of discernment. This ability is essential to living victoriously over sin and temptation AND to be able to discern the motivation of forces that pressure us.

God bless you in your pursuit of Holiness...

ginnyrose

2010/6/26 11:41Profile

Re:

When I get practical... the debate stops. :-)

Krispy

2010/6/26 19:40
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Krispy,

The issue is not of preferences/taste of music. It goes much deeper. Obviously, you did not read all the posts written to point out the dangers of rock music. Those of us who did write about it barely scratched the surface of this issue, particularly the scientific angle.

If you will hear me, you will know I do not promote preferences with any passion. My person friends know this. The only thing that will warrant passion are those things that are so very important.

I am well familiar with the different genre of music. On the personal level I enjoy a great variety; some I find amusing - which I doubt few could understand - but it is not an issue of righteousness vs sin.

May I suggest that those of you who are convinced this discussion is one of taste vs conviction that you be careful. There may be a struggling Christian out there that will be offended. I have heard the testimonies of many males who struggled with moral failures and their music of choice was rock, and they said they had to let it go. Oh, they still liked it, but they said the devil used it to prevent victory in their lives.

Be careful, is all I can say...God is still on the throne and he will judge us all one day and then we will all have to give account.

ginnyrose

2010/6/26 22:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy