SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : “Blessed are the poor in spirit. Theirs is the kingdom.”

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

“Blessed are the poor in spirit. Theirs is the kingdom.”

You have to face the emptiness of your own heart. “Blessed are the poor in spirit. Theirs is the kingdom.” You have to start with letting God dress you down. There’s no other way. Only when you face the major crisis of seeing your own sin, then and only then can you really understand how much you need God.

“He who has been forgiven much, loves much,” Jesus said. Who needs to be forgiven much except those who have faced Jesus of Nazareth and gotten on their face before Him? They’ve wept at His feet, anointed Him with perfume and dried His feet with their hair. Until you’ve had that sort of self-abasement and understanding of how deeply you need Jesus and that there’s no other way, you’ll not find the power of God in your life. “Unless a seed falls to the ground and dies, it abides alone” (John 12). Until you comprehend that, and go to the cross and deny your very self as having any value—until you start there, you don’t need a Messiah.

Was reading this teaching tonight and thinking just how desperately I need HIM. I think its a very good idea to examine my own heart daily it reminds me how much I need HIM every moment of every day.

God bless
maryjane

2010/6/17 1:31Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: “Blessed are the poor in spirit. Theirs is the kingdom.”

Good word MaryJane.

2010/6/17 2:27Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Very beautiful word MaryJane.

Humbleness and brokeness simply cannot be faked. It comes from that meeting place of the cross where many tears are left daily.

God bless

2010/6/17 5:14Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

AMEN!!!

2010/6/17 9:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Amen, MJ!

The phrase "Poor in Spirit" often dogs me. It is in direct contrast to arrogance, self-esteem, pride, self-sufficiency...

The picture of Jacob wrestling with the LORD and then how the LORD struck his thigh, crippling him, requiring a cane. Ahhh...Jacob always seemed to be the person in charge and he got what he wanted - some way or another. Somehow, it seems as though his greatest strength came when he knew that his strength was totally useless, lending credence to Paul's testimony "when I am weak, then am I strong." 2Cor. 12:10

Thanks for the post, MJ.

ginnyrose

2010/6/17 10:00Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"The phrase "Poor in Spirit" often dogs me. It is in direct contrast to arrogance, self-esteem, pride, self-sufficiency."

Amen!

Most of the modern day church is not poor in spirit. If we truly saw our great need of God, we would be repenting for our own sins and the sins of our nation and crying out for revival.

"Because you say, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and know not that you are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked." (Revelation 3:17).

"I counsel you to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness do not appear; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see."(Revelation 3:18).

2010/6/17 10:46Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

There is a chapter in Tozer's book "The Pursuit of God" entitled "The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing." This chapter brings to light what it truly means to be "poor in spirit."

Here is Tozer's prayer at the end of the chapter:

"Father, I want to know Thee, but my coward heart fears to give up its toys. I cannot part with them without inward bleeding, and I do not try to hide from Thee the terror of the parting. I come trembling, but I do come. Please root from my heart all those things which I have cherished so long and which have become a very part of my living self, so that Thou mayest enter and dwell there without a rival. Then shalt Thou make the place of Thy feet glorious. Then shall my heart have no need of the sun to shine in it, for Thyself wilt be the light of it, and there shall be no night there. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

2010/6/17 11:27Profile

Re:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBAcrDiITJ0&NR=1

Will you be poor in spirit now, or do you chose as your end a beggar, when God's kingdom comes to earth?

Luke 11:2-3

Agapeo,
g
Acts 20:32

edited: comment added

2010/6/17 12:14
whyme

Re:

As the Valley of Vision prayer goes....."the way down is the way up". Another of the great paradoxes of walking with HIM. Very few folks realize that living the Beatitudes is a wonderful daily exercise for the Christian. Beginning at Poor In Spirit we ascend to true Christian experience where we experience knowing Him, the power of His resurrection life and join in the fellowship of His sufferings.

2010/6/17 15:03Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Now this is a great thread. This is so true. The only way to have true vision is to be blinded to everything else but Him.

Truly God is calling His church back to all the sermon on the mount. We we listen?

2010/6/17 15:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy