Discussion Forum : General Topics : Five Vows for Spiritual Power

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote:
If this is carnality, I really don't know why.

Vows cut against the old human nature.

They introduce the cross into your life. And nobody ever walks back from carrying his cross--nobody, ever. When a man takes his cross he's already said goodbye. He's pulled the roll top shut on his desk and said farewell to his wife and children.

He's not coming back. The man with the cross never comes back.

Remember: They introduce the cross into your life, they strike at the heart of your self-life and there is never a place to go back to. And I say, "Woe to the triflers"

2010/6/16 13:07Profile
passerby

Re:

Is it not rather in carnality that we readily make vows and oaths when the Lord Himself had admonished us to do the opposite. Is this not trifling with God's word.

Making vows will not make any of us, more faithful, more responsible, more firm in our resolve_ nor will they make any of us man of integrity or man with word of honor. Integrity will be manifested in our character as we faithfully and humbly yield to the leading of our Lord.

2010/6/17 9:31Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Great souls are ones who have gone reverently to God with the understanding that in their flesh dwells no good thing. And they know that without God's enablement any vows taken would be broken before sundown.

Nevertheless, believing in God, reverently they took certain sacred vows.

This is the way to spiritual power.

2010/6/17 9:54Profile
passerby

Re:

Some vows or oaths will be forced upon us especially by the state as we seek to effect certain status or conditions in our lives. Examples are oath of allegiance to our flag and sworn statements related to civil transactions, duties or obligations.

It is however highly presumptuous or speculative for us to commit ourselves to vows of our own creation.

2010/6/18 7:58Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote:
It is however highly presumptuous or speculative for us to commit ourselves to vows of our own creation

Sorry for the delay in replying as I was traveling...

Anyway why do you say the above quoted statement?

2010/6/23 8:04Profile
VaHam

Re: Five Vows for Spiritual Power

This is a classic sermon by A.W. Tozer. I first heard it about 55 years ago, and it has impacted my life down through the years to this day. There is some debate in this forum about vows. In the original message Tozer gives a Biblical defense of vows. They are intentions taken in view of the need of God's enabling grace. For many years, I viewed these as absolutes, but today I am of the mind that they serve as good general principles or guidelines but not absolutes. That is another discussion.

2018/11/1 13:25Profile

©2002-2018 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy