SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Family situation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

If the Lord is leading you, follow the Lord.

Blessings on what ever you decide sister.

2010/6/15 0:18Profile

Re:

Maryjane, you wrote........

"Sadly no there would be zero chances of sharing with anyone of my siblings at this service. They have all made there wishes known and clear. They are closed off completely. "

Well sister, I have to disagree with that :) There is nothing impossible with God and He can reach hearts that seem completly closed off. What you should never do is violate your concience. If you search your heart and you can honestly say that it has nothing to do with the complexity and possible unpleasantness of the situation, then that is good.

I was raised a Catholic and know the troubles it can cause, especially when it comes to rituals. Take First Holy Communion and Baptisms for instance, I personally would never attend such events for some of the reasons that you stated. I have attended Catholic marriages of friends. I also attended the marriage of an Episcapaleon friend but stayed in my seat when it came to communion. Amazingly, out of that large crowd she noticed this and did not speak to me for about six months, which of course is her perogative :) There is a price to pay for the truth.

Let your heart be pure before the Lord sister and walk in the peace that comes from walking in His will. He will lead and guide you and also convict you when He will. I pray that the lies of Catholicism would be crushed in the hearts of your family members and I pray that you would indeed get opportunity to share about the reality of actually knowing Jesus. I pray also that you would be a living epsitle that your family can read and that everytime they look at you, they see Jesus.......Frank

2010/6/15 0:29
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
"Sadly no there would be zero chances of sharing with anyone of my siblings at this service. They have all made there wishes known and clear. They are closed off completely. " Well sister, I have to disagree with that :)

You are right of course. God can change a heart. When I was writing that I was thinking about my dad, he held on to his faith and trust in the RCC right up until he died. He never did see his need for Jesus all his hope was in the church and the deception he had always held to. I still pray for my mom though. I pray for my brothers and my sister but I should clear up that I have next to no contact with most of them. They stopped talking to me years ago. My oldest brother who is arranging this whole thing has not even spoken to me in over ten years. This correspondence is the first I have heard from him and his plans and wishes he made very clear.

You are correct in saying that there are a lot of complexities in this situation but none of those issues is keeping me from going. I simply feel I need to walk in what the Lord has shown me this evening.

God bless you
mj

2010/6/15 1:07Profile

Re: Honour your father

Will not going bring honour to him for the fact of being your father?

2010/6/15 4:12
rainydaygirl

Re:

Quote:
Will not going bring honour to him for the fact of being your father?

I don't see how not going dishonors him? I also don't see that you can honor or dishonor a person who is already passed away. The definition below states that to honor a person is showing them respect how can you show respect or not show respect to someone who is no longer living? This just does not make sense to me. Its not like the person who has passed away can receive or acknowledge being shown respect or honor?? Honestly this idea that MJ would somehow be dishonoring her dad by not going sounds like a tactic used to make her feel guilty. Just not seeing it I guess???

honor, hon·ored, hon·or·ing, hon·ors
a. To hold in respect; esteem.
b. To show respect for or to.

2010/6/15 10:31Profile

Re:

I had plenty of reasons to stay away from my mothers` funeral but I went because I did not want her to be the subject of gossiping. For the same reason I remained in contact with her through her life though it would have been much better for me not to. I`m not trying to make you feel guilty, just pointing something out that may occur to you when it is too late.

2010/6/15 10:52
learn

Re: Family situation

My advise would be to ask you to pray and see what God wants you to do.

There may/may not be a chance for you to witness there--only God knows and He decides. If God doesn't want you to go but you go because of advise to show love to others,to honor your father and there may be a possibility for you to witness to them--will that be right in God's eyes. No. Will you succeed in what you hope to do. Most likely no as its not what God wants you to do. Most likely the opposite will happen.

And vice versa.

This case is not as clear cut as some others (eg: should one go to an occult event--which answer is clearly no) and is a major thing.

As for my family's case,my sister did not attend my grandmother's burial because the rites were done in another religion. However,whether its because that's what she felt God ask her to do, I do not know.

Edit to include: God can use both situations to His glory ie God can use your going for His glory. Similarly God can use your not going for His glory also. We should not limit God on what he can do when we do not go just because we can't think of what good it can do. I personally can think of a few. One was that when my sister did not go--it gave me an idea that she was certainly serious in her faith and that's 1 of the thing that I respect about her (now that I am a Christian and I am recalling that situation). This could very likely happen to one of your family member also. And maybe when they are in a bind or want to learn about Christianity, they may just look you up because they have more confidence that you are a real Christian and walk the talk.

So, my sister pray--pour out your confusion, your uncertainties and ask God to tell you what He wants you to do. Not what you want to do or what you hope to achieve if you are going/not going. I will say a prayer for you too.

2010/6/15 10:55Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Quote:
I`m not trying to make you feel guilty, just pointing something out that may occur to you when it is too late.

Krautfrau

I did not mean to imply that you personally were trying to make maryjane feel guilty I was referring to her family members. I think she mentioned her brother said something about this not honoring her dad if she doesn't go.

I only commented because I don't see how you can dishonor a person who is no longer living??

rdg

2010/6/15 11:35Profile

Re:

You can bring dishonour to a persons reputation after they are gone.

2010/6/15 11:53
learn

Re:

Krautfrau's quote : You can bring dishonour to a person's reputation after they are gone.

Krautfrau,
We need to take this up in prayer and do what God wants us to do, not what we think will happen if we do not go.

Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple

If it so happens that God doesn't want her to go for reasons that we are unable to understand now, will not God also honour her. Will God allow her father's reputation to be dishonoured. No. Maybe in the short term, there may be some pain etc, but in the long term, God will honor those who honor his wishes.

2010/6/15 12:13Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy