SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Support : Conversion of cassettes to MP3s

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Conversion of cassettes to MP3s

I'm contemplating converting messages from our church from cassettes to MP3s. What is best way to do this in terms of quality? Thanks!

2004/10/21 8:07Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Conversion of cassettes to MP3s

Hey Ed,

Sure you could use Nero to do this quite easily but might want to wait for another geek to come along with more expertise, I mean someone with more technical knowledge... :-)

2004/10/21 8:21Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I'm contemplating converting messages from our church from cassettes to MP3s. What is best way to do this in terms of quality? Thanks!

"but might want to wait for another geek to come..." did someone call me?? hehe. Hi brother Ed, you could always hire me on the church staff to be the offical tape convertor. Ok seriously, you will need a half-decent tape deck, good cables to go from the tape deck to the sound card, you will need to get a half-decent sound card most will add noise to the recording unless you start to get sound cards in the $150-200 range. Software wise you could use a free pacakage called Audacity, or purchase one like: Soundforge (I use this one). Also I use total recorder to do the conversion of wav to mp3 and to record other things sometimes. So totalrecorder is a cheap software alternative. Let me know if you have more questions at all! :-)

2004/10/21 10:42Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re:

Ed,

It takes forever, but the quality is good...we used to simply record them from tape to cd in the sound booth at church. If you're set up for it, that's an easy way where you won't lose alot of quality (plugging the tape deck directly into the cd writer deck).

2004/10/21 11:47Profile
garoak

Ireland

Re: Conversion of cassettes to MP3s

Hi I use a program called audacity you can download it from "nonags.com" free! it is very easy to use all you need is a tape deck ,and stereo to steroe lead, here it is green on both ends. put in your audio tape into the cassette player plug in the stereo lead into the headphone socket and plug the other end of the lead into back of the sound card of your computer "socket looks the same as headphone socket usually at the back of your computer" Then open up audacity program select "line in" press play on your cassette player and then the record button on the software program. It then records it onto your program. It really is very easy to use you can then convert to mp3 and various other files .the program does not come with mp3 coverter but it will guide you in downloading one also free!

2004/10/21 12:34Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Thanks for all of the comments. Would a boombox work? I don't have a desktop but have a laptop would that matter at all. I'm not sure if my sound card is good enough in terms of the quality.

I thought about purchasing a CD recorder and hooking it up to my stereo. That option seems a little pricey. Unfortunately, we rent the church where we have service and I don't believe using their equipment is a real viable option.

Thanks again for the comments.

2004/10/22 11:32Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Thanks for all of the comments. Would a boombox work? I don't have a desktop but have a laptop would that matter at all. I'm not sure if my sound card is good enough in terms of the quality.

Brother Ed, yes it could work does your boombox have a "line out" ? and does the sound card in your laptop have a "line in"? ie (microphone). get a cable that works between the line out on the boom box and the line in with the sound card and you should be fine. Thats how I started out at SI recording stuff that way. The quality wasn't perfect but it got the job done. ;-)

2004/10/22 12:15Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Thanks Greg

Yes it does. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Ed

2004/10/22 14:58Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: Thanks Greg

Bless you, Ed. Let us know how it all turns out.

2004/10/22 23:54Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

I bought an external sound card called Instant Music from a company called ADS Tech and then connected a tape deck to the sound card and then connected the sound card to the laptop. It works pretty well and the quality is quite good. Cost about $70.

Still learning the best way to do this. The best thing is that I get to hear the sermons again! The software came with it and it's Audio Editing software from Nero. I also got a six foot cable. Not a bad deal I suppose.

2004/11/10 21:51Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy