Discussion Forum : General Topics : 

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
allensmith

2010/6/7 5:24Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: God's Economy

Interesting. I have actually thought about that greek word a few times and even wrestled over the usage in that exact passage. I never quite saw it that way before. Not that I have an understanding of the idea of an godly economy, but I have something I have been asking God for wisdom on for months now because of a few passages of scripture.

Revelation 3:18, "I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich: and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of they nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see."

(Now I know Jesus was speaking to the Laodiceans whom were famous for their eyesalve, so Jesus is actually making a slight bit of a joke if I can be so brash, but the context of Laodicea has never helped me understand the "purchasing power" of a heavenly economy.)

I have been wondering exactly how you "Purchase" anything from God. Is it simply responding to His chastening as the next verse admonishes? Or is it a stand alone statement that the passage in Revelation 3 leaves completely open?

The only other passage of Scripture I felt there was a clue was in 1 Timothy 6:10-11, where Paul contrasts the love of money with following after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. And I wondered if these were the currencies of heaven...

I am not trying to answer your question Allen, as much as I am adding more questions to your question...lame, I know. I would say though that the explanation for that verse that you are mentioning does make far more sense than some of the other ideas I have heard.

2010/6/7 8:22Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

I think of wise King Solomon after he
had finished the building of the temple.
I'm sure it was a marvelous sight and
a wonder to behold; but Solomon's
thought was that this place was to be
the dwelling place for the glory of GOD.
Who has given or offered anything unto
GOD which is not rightfully HIS??

2010/6/7 11:23Profile

Greetings

Quote:
subject of God's Economy

I have many times heard the phrase 'in the economy of God', used to explain that He knows how best to provide for us. It sort of flows over from the idea of God's providence; of God providing for His children. This would fit with the necessity that God is head over His own household (Then are the children free. Matt 17:26) and has servants such as Moses, (Heb 3:5, Gal 4:1 - 7), whereas the Son is going to inherit all things, and we also, in Him.

2010/6/7 12:57
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Allen: Seem you answered your own question brother. We fall so short of God's plans and purposes when we make salvation only about escaping Hell and going to Heaven. It was about the sons and daughters of God coming into the fullness of relationship with Him. It was about His power and presence being made manifest through them to minister to the world. It was about the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit abiding in man. Christian was originally a term of derision, but it was so appropriate. God desires to see "little Christ's" full of His power walking about. It was about bringing an end to the enmity that was revealed through the law and restoring right relationship. I think Nee really understood this truth. I have never read Witness Lee, but I like what Watchman Nee had to say. He has some real revelation.

2010/6/7 22:32Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Areadymind: Here is just a thought. I once heard a minister make this statement. "Money is the medium of exchange in this world for good and services. The medium of exchange in the Kingdom of God is obedience." I won't tell you who said this as it might draw fire in this post, but what the man said was absolutely true. The point he was making is that God's economy is different than man's. Sure we can "buy" things of God. Remember He said, "If any man would come after Me he must first deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me." So what do we "purchase" in exchange for this sacrifice? I say a LOT. We come out by far on the better end of that deal. Just a thought.

2010/6/7 22:38Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

"God's Economy" - I love the concept. To me it is more a description of what God does with whatever exists: He will make use of it, nothing will go to waste.

One can see this principle demonstrated throughout the OT. He used Jeremiah to warn the people but they persisted in their own stubborn ways. God then went through with his warnings and the Jews were exiled to Babylon. What happened then? You had Daniel and his three friends, Nebuchadnezzar eventually acknowledged God as being greater then he; you had Esther deliver her people...

Look at modern day events. The holocaust was horrific. But was God in those concentration camps? Sure was. Remember Corrie ten Boom?

The question that confronts us moderns when we see bad things happen is "how can God redeem a bad situation?" He does - we may not always see it immediately but it will be forthcoming - eventually.

"All things work together for good to those who are called..."

My understanding of God' stewardship of his creation.

2010/6/7 22:49Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Travis, I would venture to say that I am inclined to agree with your suggestion. As without faith it is impossible to please God, and all of my study of the word has force me to conclude that there is a very imperceptible difference between faith and obedience. They are like two sides of the same "coin." To make a thread pun...

2010/6/7 23:14Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
by Areadymind on 2010/6/7 19:14:18 Travis, I would venture to say that I am inclined to agree with your suggestion. As without faith it is impossible to please God, and all of my study of the word has force me to conclude that there is a very imperceptible difference between faith and obedience. They are like two sides of the same "coin." To make a thread pun...

When James was speaking of faith he made the statement that one may say he has faith without works, but James would make proof of his faith by his works. I have hears all sorts of teachings on these works from the vague generality of proving that we are people "of a faith" by doing good deeds to the idea that we cannot be saved without some sort of works. Both totally miss it in my opinion. If I have true faith, it will be evidenced by some corresponding action on my part. Those corresponding actions will be actions of obedience. i.e., God will lead us to do something that is beyond our own ability to do. He will lead us somewhere where we cannot see the end of the thing. It will require faith to obey. Our act of obedience in stepping out is the proof that we have genuine faith.

In God's economy this obedience leads to the blessings that come as we walk by faith. Faith - Obedience of faith - Results of obedience of faith. There it is, your almost imperceptible difference. Faith and obedience are so intertwined because the latter is the result of the former unfeigned.

Like the pun.

2010/6/9 15:55Profile
RainMan

Re: Faith and Works

Faith and Works

it is often said that james and paul differ in theology over faith and works. In my opinion james and paul are in agreement. The context of faith in james shifts between a context of profession and to belief. If i profess christ as lord and savior and have no corresponding fruits of the spirit then my faith is dead. I can wear the t-shirt but without fruits of the spirit my profession is useless. The fruits or works are evidence that my faith is alive and maturing as dead creature can bear no fruit. So in a sense profession on its own is not enough. Likewise if i say i "believe" and trust God but my actions suggest otherwise do i truly have a living faith. I believe that Works / Fruits are produced by and intimate mature koinoia with the holy Spirit. Likewise i also believe works can be dead when the source religion and not form a renewed divine nature.

God's Economy
I believe that all of creation is without excuse when it comes to believing in him as nature itself testifies of his Glory. In the universe God created the law of cause and effect is all around us. Actions have consequences Good or bad physically, mentally , emotionally and even spiritually.
ultimately as a sinner i look at Gods economy in two major ways

1. Grace
2. Obedience

Man disobeyed God and became a servant of sin and spiritually dead (although some will argue man has freewill but how is a mans will free if he is a servant of his sinful nature). God died in our place and paid the price for our redemption with his blood even though we really didnt deserve such grace. Once released from serving sin we serve our new master and lord (or at least we should) who has given us in his words instructions as to what do do to obtain a crown of glory when we are fully promoted from servants to hiers with christ when we overcome this world.

Our obideince and works/fruits seems to be the method of exchange in Gods Economy by which we lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven.

Ps: I have also wondered about scriptures in revelations. There is allot of allegory and metaphors in revelations so it really takes the help of the holy spirit to rightly divide. So people like me need to spend more time in prayer and study before being able to understand properly.

Question
How do i reconcile Gods sovereignty with Gods Economy in this world? Please PM answers

2010/6/10 6:31Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy