SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Against Denominations (i beg you all, please reason with me)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

The differences in our understanding of the scriptures is not the problem. We cannot be one in this manner as our understanding can only grow as our spirits develop. The divisions are caused through not tolerating others who disagree with us, so long as we are born again of the Spirit of God. Breaking the bond of love on the grounds of such disagreement is sin and only when we have the love of God in our hearts will we be able to love one another despite differences. The flesh makes us go off and form a new denomination. We can easily continue with one another despite disagrements if we do not insist on bringing things into the meeting that will divide. We can listen to the word, sit in silence to hear God speak and sing the ancient hymns together on a Sunday, then meet with others of like mind through the week if we wish, to practise whatever our own differences are. It is this refusal to meet together on a Sunday if we disagree that causes the problem.

The internet has been wonderful in bringing us together in this way despite the conflicts. At least it can lead us to see exactly how much of God`s love there is within us and maybe this has been instrumental in bring people to have repentant hearts and long for revival.

2010/6/8 1:01
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Re:

Some beliefs do not matter and may not have much practical effects. But there are some that do. Some doctrinal standpoints influence certain emphasis in discipleship. Men of the second definite sanctification group will be emphasizing the experience. Those that teach a dress standard will press that. Those that preah the baptism of the Holy Ghost as subsequent to salvation will talk of it. There may be whole sermons, even extended periods of time spent on these subjects. Imagine being of a differnt party sitting under this teaching. I am not talking about isolating oneself from other denominations but the division is indeed helpful.

2010/6/8 1:39Profile

can i share some more from my heart?

You all are literally saving my life.

i'm not kidding or being overdramatic, just fact.

as i said to Mike C, i've been staring at the SI logo for 4 hours, and listening to one of the ministries God the Holy Ghost had me doing a few years back.

i just want to say this first, in no way, am i "anti-denominational"...i don't wish to insult or argue with any good and Godly saint on this forum, i'm just so moved and heartened that there are Godly brothers and sisters who share some of my heart longings regarding letting the only sign on a Church just be The Name......"JESUS".

heartened and humbled there would be brothers and sisters
to even pray for me in regards to my sin issues.

i've made my living from creative endeavours for over 20 years, so naturally when i got saved by Jesus, i went towards that direction.

the concept of Revival intrigued me from minute one, so i did a google search and was blessed to find two websites, the just created "Sermonindex" and "fireonthealtar"

now Fire on the Altar was the ministry of a brother who went by "bought", a wonderful saint, and other believers made compilations there. In fact "bought" showed you where to get all the software tools to cut togther a compilation, words and music brought together, so i began.

i was devouring the Word, i was devouring accounts of those brothers in the Lord who's ministries i felt led to, David Brainerd, Frank Bartleman, Duncan Campbell

and i would pray to Jesus and then begin to cut together compilations, one of my first was called "Shake the Nation"

http://www.fireonthealtar.com/compilations/neil%20g/Shake%20the%20Nation.mp3

we cut this together in 2003, and i just re-listened to it, and i was so new in the Lord, but i felt his call on my life, what He wanted me to say. Shake the Nation was what He led me to say about this whole new world i was in\

Then God gave me the comp, "As We Are One", which is very similiar to this discussion we are having now:

http://www.fireonthealtar.com/compilations/neil%20g/As%20We%20Are%20One.mp3

Then God got me on the subject of how we are "formed" in Him, and how we pluck others from the fire, and we cut togther "A Wee Story" it featured Ian Paisley speaking of evangelism, i was taken with the early preaching of Ian

http://www.fireonthealtar.com/compilations/neil%20g/A%20Wee%20Story2.mp3

and i wanted to share just one last comp, its Duncan Campbell, preacher and revivalist, i dearly love telling the story about a 16 year old lad, Donald MacPhail praying down God so powerfully onto a congregation, its a wonderful story, and when i cut all fopur of those in the 2003-4 period, why cant we have this again?

http://www.fireonthealtar.com/compilations/neil%20g/Young%20Donald%20MacPhail%20Prays%202.mp3

why cant we have this again?

i believe these four compilations will bless you, I just cant believe i was getting the word in 2003-4 and in 2010 is my heart being pricked.

neil

i've done a few compilations, the saints liked that

2010/6/8 1:47
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Re:

Can there be order any other way? Are there theories on how to bring these people together? Declaring a problem is one thing but providing a solution is another. Throughly convinced I am that there is no other way.

2010/6/8 1:48Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Brother Jerry through Christ all things are possible :). I believe unity will come when we look at the object of all of our affections Christ Jesus, If we could all come together and agree in Christ Jesus and that HE is righteous and Holy and fully deserving of His Just Reward and that we are unholy and unrighteous then whether there be walls of denominations and barriers would install gates of reason and Love in Christ Jesus. I don't have to agree with you on everyone doctrinal point IF we can at least agree on the bear minimum of the Gospel message. The point of division comes when men and women of differing theologies and doctrines completely and utterly refuse fellowship with others of different doctrines yet can still agree on Christ in all the Word says about Him being the Son of God. Refusal to pray together and Work together based solely on theology and doctrines. The Solution is everyone looking to Christ and finding common ground in Christ Jesus.

I found through the years that I have noticed that God has given me Grace and has taught me to at least understand someones stand point and theological belief before casting any kind of judgment. I have found that I understand why the Catholics pray to the dead Saints and Mary yet I greatly disagree with the practice of it :)

2010/6/8 2:19Profile
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Re:

If you want to unite all under one denomination, you would have to unite them in doctrine. John Wesley and George whitefield are no doubt two of the most godly men to trad american soil. Bost knew Christ but but both were of two separate persuasions. Could they fellowship? Yes, wesley even preached for whitefield. I have a hard time believing they could have co-pastored a church. Wesley pressed second definite sanctification, while George didn't believe it. Wesley believe so much that election was unconditional that he published a work called free grace to the disapproval of Whitefield. I believe there can be fellowship in spirit but God will fix our understanding of truth in glory

2010/6/8 8:24Profile
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Re: can i share some more from my heart?

Neil,
You said, "i'm just so moved and heartened that there are Godly brothers and sisters who share some of my heart longings regarding letting the only sign on a Church just be The Name......'JESUS'.

I sure don't want this to get lost. I truly believe it was GOD who showed you that. It is His will that HIS name reign supreme. I say that because He's also done it to me, made me very aware of the idea of HIS name, not mine and no other men. I recognize something of what it does to you to see such a thing in the spiritual realm.

Grab ahold of it! I know several who are going thru this "name work" as I all it. Seek to become the LEAST!! I will pray this for you, and I do expect He will fulfill it because it is His will and He has shown it to you and you have perceived of it in some manner. God doesn't necessarily tell us WHY He wants us to do these things, but if you DO them, you will gain the understanding God wants u to have. (ps 119:100) BECOME THE LEAST, BROTHER!! Follow JESUS, who was also EMPTIED OUT. (phil 2)

Matthew 11:11-"Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. Here are a few quick scriptures, but there are probably more on becoming the least.

Luke 7:28-I say to you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

Luke 9:48-Whoever receives this child in My name receives Me, and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me; for the one who is least among all of you, this is the one who is great.

Paul also desired this. 1 cor 15:9-For I am the LEAST of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Paul. Eph 3:8-To me, the very LEAST of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ,...

2010/6/8 8:41Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

We aren't talking about copastoring anything, but fellowshiping just as Wesley and Whitefield did though they disagreed they were united in the Call of Christ Jesus. This is the unity we need that we aren't competing with other denominations but working together to reap the harvest for the Glory and Honor of Christ Jesus. Putting aside out differences to work together. I am Pentecostal but I could most certianly preach a full gospel message to a group of Baptist and none of them getting offend, Why? because who can disagree with preaching Christ Cruxified? The only ones that will get offended are the ones that take offense to the cross, and all of the baptist I have met that are God fearing don't seem to have a problem with it.

2010/6/8 8:47Profile
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Re:

I totally agree with you. All I am saying is that you would have perfect unity doctrinally. I am not against unity or felloship of brethren of other perusations as long as we all have the fundamentals right.

2010/6/8 8:52Profile

dear Jerry

hey ya dear brother,

i'm just one lonely fella, struggling saint, whatever you want to call me, i have no desire to interfere on anyone else's "foundations", meaning "one big denomination", or "anti-denomination".

in this earlier post you wrote,

"Can you imagine a pentecostal arminian preaching to a crowd of 30% southern baptist calvinist? There would be little edification because of the disagreement."

my dear brother, i STILL to this date have very little idea what the whole "Cal/Arm" debate is all about.

truly.

and for the plethora of threads i've witnessed on such, i have little desire to delve deeply into such a disagreement.

and please dont mistake my tone in what i write to you, my tone is loving, though you cant hear my voice.

one ofg the early non-canonical books on the Faith that i read and re-read was Frank Bartlemans testimony on the events of and leading up to the Azusa Street revival in LA, 1906.

it made a huge impact on me, brother Frank engaged in completely Divinely committed ministry of intercessory prayer with another brother, brother Boehmer.

i have the book online, and i'm trying to figure out how to cut and paste a pdf doc to share the parts of his testimony, that impacted me.

there was one thing he wrote that just GOT me, he wrote and i paraphrase, the minute, the mission on Azusa Street put up a sign, that read "Apostolic Faith Mission", he felt thats when the revival went south, went away......he said thats when it become just another bit of sectarian division, ecclestiastical division.

now i recognize that a body of believers cant live in that high pitched intense state of "revival", to revive means to awaken or bring back what was once dead, and i guess some folks like to "get high" on the concept of "holy ghost chill thrills", there's a denomination that plays such games, and its a sad thing to witness and watch.

some saints get mad at that, i just think its all rather sad.

todays tuesday, i may call that other Lutheran church that presumably holds the property on that little church building in Boaz, i sure would like somebody to make a 3 foot tall by five foot long sign that reads JESUS, and put His Name on that building....and then what?

i dunno, get on faces and start to pray, clear out a room in the back for cots to sleep, and say "come".

once you prayerfully ask Jesus to be the Pastor of a church, it sure would be blessed to see what He does next.

i do have Scripture for that type of meeting.

2010/6/8 10:01

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy