SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Will God forgive and relieve someone of a foolish vow?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Will God forgive and relieve someone of a foolish vow?

Foolish vow can be one that we cannot keep. Also a vow if we were to keep it, hinderance would be the result.

2010/5/27 2:52Profile
shadyg

Re: Will God forgive and relieve someone of a foolish vow?

James 1:5

2010/5/27 3:03Profile

I have tried to avoid making vows through out my Christian life because in my early years I understood that I could not keep them even if I tried. I made one vow in foolish haste and yet God enabled me to keep it. He actually intervened and caused a certain circumstance to take place, by His Spirit, and put the fear of God in me and because of that that vow has been kept and maintained by mutual cooperation. I have to believe that God wanted me to make that vow so I would be kept in line. It hasn't been easy, but He has been faithful, even when I have tried on many occasions to purposely break the vow to no avail, all my scheming attempts were futile.

I believe God can forgive us when we make a vow, nothing is impossible with God. However, there are ones that He may hold you to, as in my case, because the vow will actually do you some good. It can actually be used as means to chasten us. But I would highly recommend not making them....ever!!

2010/5/27 9:19
Santana

Re:

I've heard it said that if you make a promise to God, he will make sure you break it. Because then it will be you keeping it, not God. Then you might think you have enough strength to do it yourself.

If you break the vow, is it a specific sin that you would be committing or is it a personal thing with God?

2010/5/27 9:26Profile
verilyverily

Matthew 5:37

2010/5/27 9:31Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Romans 1:31
Rom 1:31: Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

Covenant breakers:
ἀσύνθετος
asunthetos
as-oon'-thet-os
From G1 (as a negative particle) and a derivative of G4934; properly not agreed, that is, treacherous to compacts: - covenant-breaker

Implacable:
ἄσπονδος
aspondos
as'-pon-dos
From G1 (as a negative particle) and a derivative of G4689; literally without libation (which usually accompanied a treaty), that is, (by implication) truceless: - implacable, truce-breaker.

To break a vow is serious. Just like one person quoted: "Let your yea be yea and your nay be nay..."

2010/5/27 10:10Profile
verilyverily

Re:

Acts 23:12-13 a group of 40 or so devout Jews vowed not to eat or drink until they had killed Paul. Their plan failed. Would they be hopelessly lost if they ate or drank again? Would God forgive their foolish vow if they repented for making it?

2010/5/27 11:27Profile
verilyverily

Re:

Adam Clarke commentary on that verse:
That they would neither eat nor drink, etc. - These forty Jews were no doubt of the class of the sicarii mentioned before, (similar to those afterwards called assassins), a class of fierce zealots, who took justice into their own hand; and who thought they had a right to despatch all those who, according to their views, were not orthodox in their religious principles. If these were, in their bad way, conscientious men, must they not all perish through hunger, as God put it out of their power to accomplish their vow? No: for the doctrine of sacerdotal absolution was held among the Jews as among the Papists: hence it is said, in Hieros. Avodah Zarah, fol. 40: “He that hath made a vow not to eat any thing, wo to him, if he eat; and wo to him, if he do not eat. If he eat, he sinneth against his vow; and if he do not eat, he sinneth against his life.” What must such a man do in this case? Let him go to the wise men, and they will loose him from his vow, as it is written, Pro_12:18 : “The tongue of the wise is health.” When vows were so easily dispensed with, they might be readily multiplied. See Lightfoot.

2010/5/27 11:47Profile
rbanks

Re:

of course he can brother!

1 John 1:7-9

It sounds like you are contrite and humbled by your hasty decision. Never make a vow or sin of any kind to big for God's mercy and grace.

I have quit making foolish vows as I believe you will by seriously repenting before God.

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us and not in our own strength.

We are to walk in the Light as He is in the Light and we will have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.

We all, as we walk with God, will experience more light and have need of the blood of Jesus to cleanse us from those sins revealed to us.

All we need to do when the light comes is to humbly confess those sins to God and be willing to obey the leadership of the Spirit and depend on Him.

Blessings to you!

2010/5/27 11:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

QUOTE:
"Foolish vow can be one that we cannot keep. Also a vow if we were to keep it, hindrance would be the result."

After looking at this statement and thinking about it more, I am left wondering what you are trying to get out of? Some vows are meant to be kept, whether foolish or not. "Foolish" sounds like a human evaluation.

Some people would say it was foolish for me to marry this man or woman and now we have nothing but trouble. So will God forgive me if I divorce him/her? We were young and foolish....perhaps.

jerry, it might be in your and everyone's best interest to share more info lest one encourages you to sin.

2010/5/31 9:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy