Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Types

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Types

The apostle Paul, and many of the other Biblical writers were quite fond of using types to interpret Old Testament prophecy. I was wondering if anybody out there knows where in the Old Testament the inspired writers based this method of interpretation on. Such as, what verses out there led them to say "I can interpret with these cool things called types."

2003/8/30 6:35Profile
MarkG

Florida USA

Re: Types

Hi PTC

I'm alittle suprised that you have not got a answer to this post. It has been said that if someone calls themself a teacher of God's Word and they don't know bible typology, don't listen to them.

A picture is worth a 1000 words and that basicly what a type is. A word picture to look at and see truths. You are not to make doctrine out of them. They are meant to bring out deeper truths or confirm doctrine.

I see types as a family lanugage. (one of many ways that God speak to His chrildren) Most friends and family speak with types. If a family member says something about uncle Joe, then anyone that knows uncle Joe will understand much more deeply what is being spoken of. If you don't know him then you will probably not understand much of what is being said.

One more point about types is that they are OT pictures of NT truths. All true bible types point to Christ.

This is a big but important subject. I believe that typology is only the beginning in learning to unlock the deeper truths hidden in God's Word. I would be glad to answer any question that you have.

Take care, Mark

2003/9/1 17:55Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Mark,

I agree with what you say. I'm a little shocked myself that I haven't had any feedback yet. I'm familar with bible types, and sometimes the Holy Spirit will show me when I read the OT, that something is a type. For example, I can remember a few years ago when I was reading the story of Abraham preparing Isaac for sacrifice, and it being said "God will provide the sacrifice." After I read this, I immediately believed that this somehow tied to Christ. I found out after a little while that other Christians have believed the same.

However, if I had to explain to a unbelieving Jew why typology is a good method of interpretation, I'm afraid I couldn't show them such from the O.T Scriptures the validity of this method. Such recently occured to me, and I thought, that perhaps I should come across an unbelieving Jew one day, and wished to show them Christ through Types, they'd probably just look at me in bewilderment for using such a method. They might ask me what Biblical basis in the O.T. I have for such an interpretation, and I would not be able to answer.

So, any insights you or others might have on the matter is greatly welcomed.

2003/9/1 18:15Profile
MarkG

Florida USA

Re:

Hey PTC

If you were to speak about types to a Jewish person you would start by speaking about Midrash.

If he or you don't know what this is then there will probably be little real knowledge pass. Kind of like the uncle Joe thing.

I did a "study in types", inwhich I tell about Midrash, on another board. I will post (a new post) it here and we can go over it if you would like.

Mark

2003/9/1 18:39Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Mark,

I've had a bit of a flirtation with the Midrash, but not much more than that. I have "The Classic Midrash" on my book shelf, but have not been able to get around to reading it. I can't say I have much understanding of it, and if memory serves me correctly, the Midrash is simply a way of repackaging the stories of the (Old Testament) Scriptures for various purposes e.g. liturgical, modern application, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong :) Please feel free to post your link and we can go over things.

2003/9/1 20:42Profile
revivaltheology

Re:

With many preachers in my church background, "typology" was a very big deal. I think in many cases people "see" types that simply aren't there. As to the NT writers, it seems to me that the Holy Spirit showed them what was a true "type and shadow" of things to come in the OT. I think a very real danger in emphasizing typology is that it is in some cases too close to allegorizing scripture. I have no problem affirming the OT types that are clearly shown to be such in the NT, like the tabernacle, feasts, etc.

2003/9/1 21:45Profile
Jason

Exodus tells us that Moses made the tabernacle "according to the pattern which he saw on the mountain."

This indicates that the tabernacle was a mirror or shadow of the things that Moses had been shown on the mountain rather than the real things in themselves. This shows that the real substance is not in the things (or practices) but in what was seen on the mountain. Since Moses was with God on the mountain, it is clear that he was seeing spiritual things.

That is probably the quickest route to understanding the origin of types. There are other examples of this (for example, Ezekiel constantly uses "like" or "as" words indicating that his descriptions of his visions were similes for something of more substance -- again pointing to a spiritual application of his words), but this is probably the easiest.

Hope that helps.

2003/9/1 21:52Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

With many preachers in my church background, "typology" was a very big deal.
I think a very real danger in emphasizing typology is that it is in some cases too close to allegorizing scripture.

Indeed. And sometimes some people outright confuse a type with an allegory... though there are some parallel's. The most common confusion I've seen on the issue is when they quote Galatians, where Paul talks about Hagar and Sarah as an allegory, yet many confuse this as a type... and will even quote it as a type.

The main difference between an allegory and a type is that a type is always a foreshadow of things to come through an object-lesson. Whereas an allegory doesn't point forward to anything, but rather, just has a symbolic meaning. The type always gives way to the "anti-type." The type can be fulfilled, the allegory cannot. That's not to say there isn't some parallel, for without a doubt, both have in common the concept of symbolism.

Paul's example in Galatians was not to show a foreshadow (a type), but to simply show that those born according to the promises of God, they are children of freedom, whereas the others are children of slavery. He was speaking in purely symbolic terms, and not trying to show us a type.

2003/9/2 7:07Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

This may be one that is well-known by many of you, but God actually just taught me about types this past week. In the book of Ruth, Boaz (kinsman-redeemer) redeems both Naomi/Mara (Israelite) and Ruth (Gentile). It's a type for Christ's redemption of both Jews and Gentiles. :-)
And Abraham's near-sacrifice of Isaac was a type of God sacrificing Jesus on that same spot many years later. And we're familiar with Moses' holding up of the snake is Christ on the cross.
Learn something new everyday. :-D Thanks be to God!!

2003/12/5 0:40Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Typeology, as best as I can tell, can be seen in the patterns and the customs of the time at wich a certain scripture was written. The message that was conveyed then is still valid today. The typeology is also a foreshadow. The Bible is a process of progressive revelation, so by its nature it's going to be filled with many foreshadowings. Gen. 3:15 is called the "Proto Evangeleon" or the first gospel. Here we are given the first prophecy of Christ. We are only given a small glimpse of what the messiah would do. Later writers would progressively give us more information about what Christ's life and ministry would be like on earth. From our position in Redemptive History, we can look back and see the types and shadows that the prophets were writing about as they unfolded in the life of Christ. We can also see how people responed to God in faith or lack of it and compare that to ourselves and how we respond in life.

There is another type of interpretation called alleghory. One of the few problems I have with Augustine is his use and reliance on alleghory to interpret the scriptures. Alleghory can over-spiritualize the text and can give a person great liscense in how he/she derrives the meaning of a particular passage. Read Augustine's interpretation of the parable of the man on the road to Jericho for a good example of alleghory.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters up too much on this subject.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2003/12/5 1:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy