SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How do you interpret Mark 10:30

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rbanks

How do you interpret Mark 10:30

Mark 10:29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
Mark 10:30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life

2010/5/22 23:07Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: How do you interpret Mark 10:30

I have heard this interpreted as, as a disciple of Christ your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ would be as family, and as you travel about going from house to house it will be treated as if not being apart as a guest but as a close relative and thus your own household. So in leaving their households and families for Christ Jesus sake they would be gaining this hundredfold.

2010/5/22 23:24Profile
rbanks

Re:

Jesus said to his disciples as the Father hath sent me even so send I you.

Also Paul said in:

Romans 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

1 Corinthians 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

2010/5/22 23:39Profile

i don't know about interpretation, but this is one of those verses (though from what has been experienced, it's true for everything in the scriptures) any promise occurs as it is trusted of the Lord to do.

i have seen missionaries return from missions and recieve as said, WITH PERSECUTION.It has been seen to happen like Matthew says...
it has been seen to happen like matthew said upon returning from missions, and it has been seen to happen to the missionaries recieving exactly as their state of existing substance on the mission field.

I would interpret it accordingly:
what do you believe God has promised to you in these verses?

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

2010/5/23 0:09
Ceri

Notts. England.

Re: Mark 10:30

Jesus here assures his disciples that even though they will face persecution, they would also receive whatever they lose or give up for his sake, many times over, including a new family in Christ - brothers, sisters, mothers & children.
The 'houses' represent Christian hospitality - homes opened up to them.

'A hundred times over' is that what is gained in following Christ far outweighs any losses suffered.
God is no mans debtor - He believes in compensation for losses! Look at Job, a verse from here spoke so much to me after my experiences in life - Job 42 v 10 'When Job prayed for his friends (yes, the friends who had so badly let him down at a time he needed them most) 'when he prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortune. In fact the Lord gave him twice as mich as before!' and in verse 12 - 'So the Lord blessed Job in the second half of his life even more than in the beginning.' (Amen to that!)

The following verse to Mark 10 v 30 blesses me so much too - v 31: 'But many who are the greatest now will be the least important then, and those who seem the least important now will be the greatest then! - how wonderful!

2010/5/23 13:24Profile
rbanks

Re:

good posts everyone!

Ceri,

Thanks for your excellent post and I don't believe it could be said any better.

I agree with it 100%.

Blessings to everyone.

2010/5/23 13:57Profile

first blush? (actually thought about this a lot)

if God CALLS you to intinerant witness, far afield, say Sumba Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumba_Island)

either you are unmarried or married, and if your married, maybe your wife and children can make do on Sumba, OR maybe they can't, in which case wisdom prevails and you go with another brother(two by two, right?)

But the KEY element, obviously, is the CALL, and the only way to clearly discern the Divine Call, as opposed to the deceit of the flesh is much much time alone in the prayer closet, weeks or months, i dont know.

and if your wife is One with you in the Lord, and cant do the trip, she would exalt at that you GOT the Call.

Thats why it might be profitable for young unmarried nen on fire for Jesus, and a fearless wandering foot to do as such, or for wive's to bone up on how to live outside the grid, where the roads are dirt, and you need to sleep under a net at night.

that's what i believe Jesus meant, forgive me for presuming the Mind of the Lord, amen.

2010/5/23 14:03
rbanks

Re:

Good challenging post Natan.

Caused me to think of this passage:

John 21:15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
John 21:16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
John 21:17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
John 21:18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.
John 21:19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.
John 21:20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
John 21:21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
John 21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
John 21:23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

2010/5/23 14:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy