SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Your Experiences of Suffering et al

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Your Experiences of Suffering et al

"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body."

II Corinthians 4:8-10

Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

No wonder we need Joy. In order to go through that we need Joy.

Hebrews 12:2-3

2] Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the JOY that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
[3] For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

That the life of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

Hebrews 2:10

[10] For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation PERFECT THROUGH SUFFERING.

I was reading Hebrews 12:2 over and over again, especially the latter part. I am not looking at the historical aspect of what Paul and the early brothers and sisters went through, not even looking at it as knowledge, but something that we should be experiencing that the life of Christ might be made manifest in our body.

I feel inadequate in expressing what I am seeing here.

Without getting into the theology of this, can others elaborate how they feel about it? Are there others here that can liken their own experiences to these verses, even if you consider it to be small.

Thank you

2010/5/22 20:00
KathleenP

Maine

Re: Your Experiences of Suffering et al

Brother, when I began to seriously grow in the Lord, I commenced to experience great trials of pain, and also humiliation. The suffering of humiliation is mentioned as part of our walk with the Lord as well.

I became confused, and questioned whether or not I was in sin, and that would be my first thought as others seemed so much more victorious and free from great conflict.

As time went on, and as I would cry unto the Lord for answers, I found they were all in the same place; His Word.

I Corinthians 15:19 states that "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

I began to understand that the Word was speaking directly to all of us, and that if we are not experiencing great afflictions often, then we might question why. He that suffers in the flesh has ceased from sin.

I Peter speaks almost exclusively about suffering. It is the mark of having the Spirit of grace resting upon you.

These were hard words for me to receive, especially when professing saints began to whisper about me concerning some of the trials. Many were convinced that I was somehow being judged.

I do not say any of these things for self pity or boasting for that matter. All who live godly in Christ will suffer persecution and great trials. We have been fed so much of the "feel good" gospel that when we begin to experience what true Christians such as our brethren in the world suffer, we become offended and refuse to drink of that same cup. Did we not realize that although persecution and martydom have not yet reached this nation, that the Lord would have other means of refining us here?

It is a life with much weeping, and you are often brought to despair. I have days sometimes where I feel as if I can't continue on, and yet He allows in me what He knows best.

Although I often feel as if I will never have a respite, I sense a wonderful work being done in me that only enduring afflictions can perform. One of the key fruits is patience.

These are just a few thoughts dear brother. There is no need of listing the things that I have gone through and am going through. I know we all have an appointed cross to bear, and I know you were pondering these scriptures because deep down inside, you know that is the "true" Christian experience.

May the Lord utterly prepare His people here. May we bear in our bodies the marks of the Lord Jesus Christ.

2010/5/22 21:08Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy