SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Wrath of the Lord is Peaceful.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
buttermilk80

Ohio

The Wrath of the Lord is Peaceful.

We have heard it said that the “Day of the Lord” will be a horrible experience for all ungodly. We have heard it said that the “Earth groans under the oppression of the wicked”. And we have heard that there is a place where a Holy God will act against wickedness. A man of Jesus will put this precept into it’s proper perspective.

The ungodly will say this is not fair. We do what we do by nature and there is no justice in the punishment of all peoples who do not know the Holiness of God. “We’re just doing what we know to do.” The answer to that foolishness is simple and clear: “Have you not known?” Isn’t it plain to every man, woman and child that God is more than the mind of man? He has set everything in motion by His powerful and perfect peace. God is Love. But not the love of man. God is just. But not the justice of man. As God is eternal and man is but a few years, so the wisdom of God’s love and peace extend beyond man's ability to comprehend.

What do we see at the end of this world? Is it a God venting His Great Wrath with a frown on His face? No. This is not the way The Lord of Glory will proceed with His final “wrath”. It will be with that continual face of love and peace. We read that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. And if Jesus is the exact representation of God, we will see God’s wrath as a stable individual.

When I had to spank my children, one day, I adopted the wisdom of God in the process. I told them what they had done to disobey my rule. I told reminded them that I had spoken the rule and told them of the punishment coming if they did not accomplish what I had laid out for them to do. I told them I found no pleasure in this punishment. And that I would much rather they had obeyed the rule. Then I told them I was going to deliver 5 spanks to their bottom as punishment for breaking the covenant we had established before. With tears in our eyes we moved into the next stage. We all three understood the situation and the necessity. No one was angry and no one was sad. It had become a matter of fact.

I believe we can see the nature of God in that example. The punishment has been spoken since the moment of the sin. God has warned us all of what we can expect for disobedience. Those who disobey will die. God is not unjust in the creation of hell. And we will find something else from this: In the death of the wicked, there will be billions who will be protected for eternity. It is as though a family is in the wilderness and a great bear threatens to maul them. I can tell you without a second thought, that if dad has a gun, that bear is dead. Dad won’t kill the bear with malace. There will be no anger in pulling the trigger. There will be love for his family in his finger and eye. The sights will align on the bear with a great steadiness. The explosion from the end of the rifle will be delivered in love. It will not be love for the bear. It will be love for the protection of his family and their future.

In the movie “pulp fiction” we saw two mafia hit men acting as though the murder of people were nothing more than an 8 to 5 job. And we marvel at the concept of such a calculated and cool approach to such tragedy. Consider something. A just and loving God can not be, by definition, anything more or less than just and loving. Make no mistake. Hell is prepared and the day is fast approaching. I would recommend that every man, both great and small, seek the Love of God through Christ Jesus. But for all who reject Jesus, the only pity I can find in God is that punishment is necessary. As the tears flowed with myself and my children, so it will be on that day. But, dear people, that day IS coming.

By His Grace.

2010/5/19 19:34Profile
whyme

Re: The Wrath of the Lord is Peaceful.

I think you should re-read some of the Psalms and Isaiah of what God will do with the wicked and what his state of mind and heart will be towards their rebellion and evil.

2010/5/20 8:23Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

I appreciate where you are coming from on this, but consider the following:
When I discipline my children, it is to correct their behavior out of love because I already have a father/son/daughter relationship with them. That is how God deals with His children per Hebrews 12:5-11. Your analogy of spanking your children presumes that God has the same relationship with sinners as you do with your children, but this is not the case. How do you interpret the following verses?

And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? Rev 6:15-17

And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. Rev 19:15

Try this simple exercise: Try to imagine what a persons face would look like if they were full of wrath, then try to make that same face look peaceful and loving while maintaining their sense of wrath.

2010/5/20 10:48Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

I would like to see some scripture to clarify what it is that is being said here.

Thanks.

2010/5/20 11:19Profile
buttermilk80

Ohio

Clarification of original post

I see your concerns regarding this post. Evidently, the meaning and purpose of the post was lost in the example of my children. I will try to clarify a bit. If this fails to help, I'll withdraw the example.

The point of the post was made at the first. That the people of this world blame God for being unjust in regard to hell and punishment of the wicked. The point is that God is not only not unjust, but is calmly righteous in regard to hell. It should send terror into the hearts of the wicked to realize that God is not like man that He should be angry as we are angry. His revenge is not like the revenge of man. We often see examples of man's revenge where he "loses" his temper when he takes revenge. Terrifying to the wicked will be how just and Holy God will be in the dispensing of His wrath. The examples I used were presented to paint that picture.

As for examples in scripture, we might look at how God reacted to Uzza simply reaching out to steady the ark in 1 Chronicles 13 His judgment was quick and sure. And the people were so shocked that they refused to take the ark into the city with them. But look at the calmness and love of God. How did He bless Obed-Edom, to who's house the ark was taken? And we find God's judgments in regard to His wrath consistently just and void of the anger of man.

Another, and similar, point is being made here. That wicked men want to bring the Holiness of God down to their terms. They seek a failing in the nature of God. The post was presented as a tribute to the fact that there is no shaddow of turning in the Holy One of Israel. This will cause terror as we have never seen in the hearts of he wicked.

I appreciate your responses. It is mine to paint what I read in word pictures. By the very nature of my gift I will be open to interpretation. I do respect your positions and gifts. You will often find me looking to you for help to clarify the picture I see. If my words do not do justice to the picture, then you have my appoogies. It is the Holy God whom we all serve to the best of our ability. Peace to all who seek the Father through Jesus.

By His Grace.

2010/5/20 14:49Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re: Clarification of original post

Hey,
Thanks for clearing that up, I do see now what you are trying to convey. It would be advantageous for mankind to blame God for eternal punishment if a fault could be found in His nature such as capriciousness, bless God His attributes are perfect. Thanks for clearing it up.
Joe

2010/5/21 15:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy