SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Christian preachers/teachers who have most influced your life?...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Christian preachers/teachers who have most influced your life?...

I am filling out an application for a bible college (I will give more details to SI later) but they had another very hard question to answer for myself:

[i]Please list the three Christian preachers/teachers who have most influnced your life[/i]

[b]Leonard Ravenhill
A.W. Tozer
John Wesley[/b]

It would be interesting to hear what yours are?

2004/10/20 10:40Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Christian preachers/teachers who have most influced your life?...

1. Leonard Ravenhill (I consider him my spiritual father)
2. Keith Daniel (though he's pretty recent, he shall surely prove to be such)
3. Charles Stanley (Had I not listened to him, I probably would not be saved today)

2004/10/20 10:48Profile
Rahman

Other than Jesus (i have to say this because it pricks my conscience if i don't) ... But ...

Watchman Nee -
Because his were the first writings the Lord led me to when i first got saved ... i used to drive my pastor/teacher crazy with the depth of my questions from this man of God ... Nee's writing opened up the heavenlies for me!

Leonard Ravenhill -
i can't say enough about brother Ravenhill, and i too feel as though he's my spiritual senior (grandfather in fact) ... i love his love for Christ, his fire for the word of God, his no nonsense view of purity and holiness, and his quips! ... But what i love about brother Len is that when i first came to the knowledge that Christ had called me to a phophetic ministry, and no one in my circle believed me, brother Len in a very short telephone conversation said to me, "If you believe that God has called you to be His prophet, then do what God tells you to do" ... As my Dad used to say, "Cut, dry, and to the point"! ... i've since followed brother Len's advice ...

Charles Stanley -
Now this man i'd have to call my spiritual father, for he is the only man that i ever got a direct word from the Holy Ghost on ... The Spirit said to me a long time ago, when i first got saved, "Whatever you do, don't stop listening to Charles Stanley" ... And i havent, to this day, over 20 years later ... Stanley espouses the most clear cut pratical application of the truth of God's Word to my everyday living, as no other preacher i've known/seen in my entire Christian lifetime thus far ... i pray for him much, because he hasn't looked to well to me lately ... i love the man!

2004/10/20 11:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Other than Jesus (i have to say this because it pricks my conscience if i don't) ... But ...

Yes even when I was filling out the form for the bible school I got the same pricking of the heart and wanted to put: Father, son, Holy Ghost.. or maybe Paul, Timothy, Luke :-P but there is a principle in the bible where the apostle paul says to the people if you cant follow Christs example follow me. He means in that follow the example of Christs life in me in my words and actions. I think its still valid we all need other people in the faith to look up to. But obviously the Holy Spirit is our MAIN teacher of spiritual revelation in Christ.

2004/10/20 21:59Profile
kathleen1

Three Christian Preachers/teachers? My first thought was the Holy Spirit first and foremost, second, was the Written Word of God, my Bible, and third, my Pastor, Rev. Joe Devotie. Of course I have to add Bro. David Wilkerson and Bro. Carter Conlon, for their ministry has greatly enriched my spiritual growth and understanding.

In Christ and thankful to be,
Kathleen

2004/11/2 1:30Profile

Re:

Three preachers? Heres four, in order.

1)The Unknown Preacher. A preacher who took the time to come into my jail to show us we were truly heading for hell. I don't know his name nor does he even know I was listening, but my life was forever changed!

2) Matthew Hains who worked at the Rehab I was born-again at. He was the one to first explain to me the gospel when I was 15. Sad that it took so long before I really heard the truth. He never did any "follow up" with me once I left rehab, but as someone who was a genuine convert, he didn't have too.

3) Ray Comfort. If it wasn't for Ray I don't believe I would be giving out tracts, preaching open-air, and maybe witnessing to the lost at all. I was turned on to Ray shortly after my conversion.

4) Leonard Ravenhill. Nobody preaches like Ravenhill. Through his sermons and his writtings I have been deeply moved. I don't know if GOd has used anyone more then he has used Ravenhill to encourage, inspire, and convict me.

2004/11/2 6:22
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

In alphabetical order (surname):

1. Ron Bailey
2. Martin Lloyd-Jones
3. John MacArthur

2004/11/2 6:47Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Oh my...

Again, just three?
That's way to narrow for me...

It is impossible to put ranks or listings that could even begin to express the gratitude I have for so many.

So I will bypass the question and you all can ignore my indulgence.

To hear how Charles Stanely has affected some here warms my heart..'are you listening? Say Amen!' One of my favorite quotes I believe he got from his Grandfather or mentor was; [i]"If God tells you to run headlong into a brick wall you obey Him and expect Him to make a hole in it before you get there."[/i]

As I began this I realized that this was about to get really, really long in the tooth and have another idea for a different but similar topic.
Coming soon...:-)

So I recant.
For starters;

1)A.W. Tozer
2)Sermon Index (See "Downloads")
3)The brethren at Sermon Index and all their influences, experience and other helps...

2004/11/2 9:47Profile
PastorEdP

Clinch Mountain, Virginia

Re:

1. Jesus Christ.
2. A. W. Tozer
3. J. Glyn Owen
4. Ray Stedman

2004/11/2 10:01Profile
laholmes

Re:

(In no particular order)