SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are you seeking a medium...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

Are you seeking a medium...

...King Saul did.

1 Samuel 28v6, 'And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets'.

With the level of deception that is manifest in so many churches, one has to wonder, are they not hearing from God?

Is it that, because we are not hearing from God, not getting an answer, that any answer, from any source, will do?

King Saul had sunk to a low point, and was desperate.

What do we do when we are desperate? What do we turn to?

We might be against what King Saul did, but we might seek anything other than God too, if we don't hear from Him when we want to.

Job wanted to hear from God, but it was months before he acutally did.

If we are desperate, our best route is to stay the course.

God will answer.

Just my thoughts.

God bless.

2010/5/19 9:41Profile

Re: Are you seeking a medium...

I have often thought this about churches that emphasize prophecy. Prophecy is abused and faked almost as much as tongues are. I think both gifts are for today, but I do not believe they are nearly as prevelant as people want us to think they are.

Why don't people clammer for the gift of hospitality?

I think all these people giving "personal prophecies" have about as much to do with Biblical Christianity as the fortune teller down the block... and probably less accurate.

Krispy

2010/5/19 12:26

Re:

2 Kings 5:8 And it was so, when Elisha the man of God had heard that the king of Israel had rent his clothes, that he sent to the king, saying, Wherefore hast thou rent thy clothes? let him come now to me, and he shall know that there is a prophet in Israel.

We have been so down trodden by false preachers that we really don't know who we are.

Here is a prophet of God under the Old Testament mind you and he has no trouble saying, "Let him come unto me".

We should be able to come to anyone that has a gift, even Krispy's Hospitality, and bid them to stir up the gift that we may go away satisfied.

But we think it's humble by saying, "Oh, poor me, I don't have anything, Jesus has it all".

And Jesus has it all certainly, but we have the bread in our freezer that we are waiting to hear from God when God is speaking through those that are in need without the house, crying "give us bread".

Matt 25:37-40

2010/5/19 17:15
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Krispy: I have seen both sides of the coin on this one. You are right, there are those who abuse and fake. Sad. There are also those I have known and respect who are very accurate and led of the Spirit. You are also right that among those who look to the gifts as a way to set themselves apart for spectacle there is rarely such a strong desire for other things such as the gift of hospitality. These gifts are no less in God's eyes and should be valued by us just as much as the more "sensational" gifts.

I do think that personal prophecy does have a very valid role in Biblical Christianity, and in Paul's opinion a very important one at that. Consider 1 Tim. 1:18. Paul told Timothy to use personal prophecy as a weapon to war a good warfare. Although subjective, prophecy is still the word of God and is valid as such. It must always be weighed in the balance of the written word, and if found wanting, rejected, but if found accurate, accepted as God's word to us.

2010/5/19 17:46Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

As it is, for some Christians, the word of God is not enough. God isn't enough. Or so they would make it appear.

They balance the word of God in one hand, and the darkness in the other, and the darkness comes out the winner.

The Bible is tossed aside. Maybe not literally, but certainly disregarded.

When we don't hear from God, we might just listen to anything. And the more it appeals to the flesh, the better.

Isaiah 8v20, 'To the law and to the tesitmony. If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them'

2010/5/20 9:15Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Enid wrote:

"When we don't hear from God, we might just listen to anything. And the more it appeals to the flesh, the better."

No truer words have been said....

ginnyrose

2010/5/20 9:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy