Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : falling away from the Lord

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

falling away from the Lord

I have seen recently some very dear brothers and sisters who at one time seemed to have such a love for the Lord and the things of His Kingdom now living for self and chasing after the things of this world. I am not sure what to think were they never truly followers of Jesus, were the seeds planted never allowed to take root, or was the lure and attractions of this world so great that they have turned away from the Lord and returned to living for self?? I don't know the answer but I am praying for them to see their need for Jesus, to cry out and repent, and to take up their cross and boldly follow Him.

Someone shared with me about a young man who was once following Jesus with all his heart but now has chosen to abandon their first love and return to the world. When asked why this young man said that the cost was to high. When I think of all that the Lord has done, when I think of Jesus and what He has done I don't understand how anyone could say those things.

Maybe there is no real answer that I can understand but I wonder what makes so many fall away?

God Bless
maryjane

2010/5/18 11:01Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: falling away from the Lord

As it is, I've seen the same thing you are talking about.

However, scripture tells us there must be a falling away.

2 Thess 2v3, 'Let no one deceive you by any means, for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition'.

It's scary.

How do I know I won't fall the same way?

Next week, next month, next year, it could be my turn.

Do not be haughty but fear, Romans 11v20.

God bless.

2010/5/18 11:07Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
It's scary. How do I know I won't fall the same way? Next week, next month, next year, it could be my turn. Do not be haughty but fear, Romans 11v20.

For awhile I have actually found that I was so focused on "self" and disappointments in life that I pulled away from the Lord. I stopped reading my Bible and when I did it was more just going through the motions. I was not praying and I was just allowing self to wallow in pity and depression. I just know that God has been showing me and is showing me how important it is to walk the narrow path with Him, never staying from His covering and protection. I know its by His strength that I won't fall away but I also know that I must choose to walk and live in HIM daily. The one thing that I have noticed is there seems to be such a hardening of the heart is some..

God Bless
mj

2010/5/18 12:10Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Many will lose their passion and zeal for
the LORD when they realize the demands and
sacrifices HE requires of them!!
Also; only AlMighty GOD has the power to
keep in His grace and to save us to the
uttermost!!

2010/5/18 12:20Profile
learn

Re:

I think that we are forgetting something very important here and that is there will be times of darkness where some will seem to be falling away (as they seem to be chasing the worldly things) but yet are truly saved and will return to the Lord.

We need not look further than King David who slept with another person's wife and later killed him to hide his own wrongdoings. Same goes with King Solomon who strayed and married many wives that are detestable to the Lord and worshiped other Gods too.

There will certainly be some false believers, but there are also true believers in those that we see that are falling away.

2010/5/19 15:29Profile
learn

Maryjane, you wondered what makes so many fall away.

There are a variety of reasons. Sometimes its the lure of wordly riches etc (for false believers).

However, for real believers, they can fall away for a season due to many reasons eg:

1) wordly temptations (wealth, fame etc)--but God is faithful and powerful to save and He will bring them back.

2) Extreme suffering/hurt/other reasons
Example : There's a real case where around 2 missionary couples went to a village and was not allowed to minister or talk to anyone there. Only a boy was allowed to sell them eggs and/or chicken. Thus, this boy was the only one that they could talk to. Finally 1 missionary couple left. The missionary couple that stayed behind --well, the wife died of illness and the young baby girl that was born had to be given up for adoption. The husband went back bitter and hurt --leaving God. Many years later, that young baby girl married and went on a quest to find her real father. On her quest, she met up with this boy who sold eggs to her parents and was now fully grown up. He had converted the whole village to Christianity. Then later she found her real father. Her father had remarried, was abusive to current family and a drunkard and cursed God etc. He would not see her. Somehow she did manage to talk to her father and related the story of the boy who sold them eggs. It was only then, that he wept tears, repented and was reconciled back to God.

There are many cases where people had been extremely hurt when they followed God and thus 'depart from God' but God will bring them back. God allowed them to go through this journey to sanctify them and also allow them to minister and help others as they have the experience to share/relate with others.

(Of course also, there are also real believers that did not 'fall away' for a season).

Many times, we cannot experience/understand it because we have never been in these people's shoes. These people suffer to be used by God to help others and also to be strengthened by God.

2010/5/19 15:43Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

learn wrote:

" There's a real case where around 2 missionary couples went to a village and was not allowed to minister or talk to anyone there. Only a boy was allowed to sell them eggs and/or chicken. Thus, this boy was the only one that they could talk to. Finally 1 missionary couple left. The missionary couple that stayed behind --well, the wife died of illness and the young baby girl that was born had to be given up for adoption. The husband went back bitter and hurt --leaving God. Many years later, that young baby girl married and went on a quest to find her real father. On her quest, she met up with this boy who sold eggs to her parents and was now fully grown up. He had converted the whole village to Christianity. Then later she found her real father. Her father had remarried, was abusive to current family and a drunkard and cursed God etc. He would not see her. Somehow she did manage to talk to her father and related the story of the boy who sold them eggs. It was only then, that he wept tears, repented and was reconciled back to God."

Learn, I read that same story somewhere but do not recall the names of these people. Mind sharing with me that info? or where I can find this story on the web?

Thanks!

ginnyrose

2010/5/22 22:02Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

learn, I found the story, much to my surprise! All I did was google "2 missionary couples".

Their names are David and Svea Flood. It can be read here plus lots of other places as well:
http://www.epm.org/artman2/publish/missions_true_stories/A_Story_of_Eternal_Perspective.shtml

Thanks for referring to this inspiring story.

ginnyrose

2010/5/22 22:20Profile
learn

Re:

Hi Ginnyrose,

Sorry that I did not reply to your question as I just saw your 2 posts today and found out that you already found what you were asking.

Eternal Perspective--hmmm, I think that's Randy Alcorn's site and I really like him a lot.

2010/5/25 17:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy