SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do you feel the Warm Tinglies?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Do you feel the Warm Tinglies?

So I was listening to Paris Reidhead the other day and he said something that I thought was kind of interesting, He talked about Soulish Blessing and Spiritual Blessing, focusing on the Soulish blessing being the times of emotional experience and warm fuzzy feelings we get when the "spirit is moving" as I have heard it said before many times especially among Pentecostals. The question that I seek to find the answer is has the church been longing and searching for Spiritual Blessing and in search of it found Soulish Blessing and got the two confused as being the same thing.

We had a prayer meeting and things were going as normal but then our pastor went outside to the big back lot of our church and took one of our christian brothers back there and started telling him of all the wonderful things that would happen back there if we built the building my pastor seeks to build. My christian brother said he felt warm and tingly and took this as a sign that this building thing was from God. My dad and I saw through this though, God can send us warm tinglies if He chooses but basing a call and push from God based off of getting warm tinglies doesn't seem wise.

My fear is that we have lost the discernment between the two may we seek to find the hidden things of God in His Word not warm tinglies or happy feelings because for all we know it could just be gas :) But in all seriousness let us pray for this discernment again. Any thoughts or comments to add to this would be awesome as well and the message by Paris was The Hidden things of God part 1 I think.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/5/18 2:04Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Do you feel the Warm Tinglies?

1 Thess 5v21, 'Test all things...'

If we were to treat all goosebumps as a sign from God, then what would be our response when sinners get goosebumps?

Simply because interest and excitment at the prospect of a future building ensues, does not mean it is a 'sign from God'.

Discernment is so missing in this day and age of anything goes.

If only we would go to the word of God.

2010/5/18 3:30Profile

Re:

When i recieved salvation through Jesus, my sister asked me about an hour later if i felt good now that that had happened. She talked about her tingling feelings and a great feeling inside.

i did not, so i said, "no".

She phreaked out; but that was taken in stride being more than sure the regeneration process was in effect.

Actually, i felt worse, yet things definitely were percieved quite differently: very clear about when i even stepped towards sin, first realizations that without Him i will bring my life 6 feet under, Jesus talking to me more than ever after that-->(God had been guiding, leading, protecting, and talking with me for years before ever any decision was made), and eyes opened like never before to the scriptures.

Since that time, i have clearly recognized that feelings do come...and leave as well. Jesus doesn't.

Sometimes i get rilly bothered by those proclaiming such things as, "i can feel the presence of the Lord...the power...the annointing of the Holy Ghost" and so on.

Sometimes i wonder if these think He is gone when nothing is felt.

Feelings usually change through circumstance.
Relying on them in any way is sewing to the wind and will reap the whirlwind.

Feelings may be present or not...and do change.

God is always with us.
He never changes.

We can only build hope on things that cannot be taken away:

For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the redound to the glory of God. For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
~II Cor. 4:15-18

Agape,
g
Acts 20:32

"The kingdom then is not for weaklings, waverers, and compromisers... It is not for Balaam, the rich young ruler, Pilate, and Demas... It is not won by means of deferred prayers, unfulfilled promises, broken resolutions and hesitant testimonies. It is for strong and sturdy men like Joseph, Nathan, Elijah, Daniel, Mordecai, and Peter... Stephen... and Paul. And let us not forget such valiant women as Ruth, Deborah, Esther, and Lydia"
~William Hendrickson~

2010/5/18 7:57
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Do you feel the Warm Tinglies?

Matthew, pick up a copy of "The Latent Power of the Soul" By Watchman Nee. It expounds upon this discourse so well, you might just find yourself reading it over and over and over again.

-Jeremiah.

2010/5/18 8:40Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Have read Latent Power of the Soul.

Might read it again.

2010/5/18 8:51Profile

Re:

Quote:
Matthew, pick up a copy of "The Latent Power of the Soul" By Watchman Nee. It expounds upon this discourse so well, you might just find yourself reading it over and over and over again.

I've been meaning to get a hold of this. I think when I searched for it last I was only able to find it as part of a virtual collection, and it was rather expensive. I assume you've read it. Care to give a brief overview on this work? I'm quite curious.

2010/5/18 8:53
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I have heard of the Latent of the Soul, my dad read it and then passed it on to my head pastor who read it and said it was a boring read and planned on reading it later, that was about 6 months ago though :) so I will just have to commendeer that book from him :)

2010/5/18 8:56Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

That book is anything but boring. The implications for understanding the spiritual nature of our service on God's behalf is staggering. Watchman builds a case for truly understanding the difference between soulishness verses spiritual work. My Pastor has read it dozen's of times, and I might just follow his example, as the issues Nee deals with are probably more important by exponential degrees than it was even in his day.

I have actually thought that this little book needs a follow up book to develop the thought process further and amplify it in the light of our day and age. It would be awesome if some more of you guys read it so we could discuss its implications a bit. I read it in two sittings so it is easy, and I had a real hard time putting it down the first time.

-Jeremiah

2010/5/18 9:05Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Everest, I am a bit busy between now and tomorrow night, but I will try to write a synopsis of the book for you here before the end of the week. I would hate to be quick about it because the case he builds is so important I would not want to butcher it.

2010/5/18 9:08Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

I believe it was Charles Finney that described the great change in the operation of the Holy Spirit once a person truly surrenders to God. When a sinner is in a convicted state they are feeling the weight of their sin, conviction, etc. However, when the person truly surrenders to God there is no need to continue bearing down upon them. The same Holy Spirit that was pouring on conviction of sin is now pouring in the joy and love of Christ. There can be an excitement that accompanies the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

I heard the testimony of a young man once that told of going home under great conviction all night long, etc. He wept through to 'repentance'. Never really spoke of joy. Many lauded this as a great salvation- but when we went back a year later he was 'backslidden' (obviously had never front-slid). But there was a rejoicing because the expectation was that a person must receive a good spanking from the Holy Spirit before they can be rightly saved. I found that it don't mean anything necessarily.

One of the great reasons why folk are tied up and in a stalemate with God is because they have already conceived what is and is not acceptable as to their reaction when God comes. David once danced before God with ALL of his might and he was under an Old Testament construct devoid of the New Testament experience that John the Baptist preached and never partook of. Why? A testament is not in force until after the Testator is dead. So neither David or John Baptist knew the level of joy and possibilities that we can experience today- and yet still David danced before God.

Too many Michals around. What did God do when she rebuked him? God shut her womb up. Why? Because God made sure that spirit never saw the light of day. Be careful how you judge people experiences. God is watching. You may end up with a barren ministry. Why? Read about it. It's VERY serious business.

If we form an expectation then we will lean that way. Let God be God. If you are changed and feel the urge to get excited- Heaven is rejoicing. Excitement is not spirituality and neither is deadness. What matters is a new creature. Watchman Nee's book has some interesting info but I would read it with caution. Men went into the world to change it in an wide range of emotions and demeanors. You think a lost world was looking for a somber demeanor in exchange for the oppressiveness of sin? They were needing the Joy of the Lord. It's what we all need. Not a wild excitement always as David had (that when he lost he sinned and in Psalm 51 begged back), it could be a slow burn. Who knows what David 'felt' when he saw the Ark coming into town. How do you think he would reacted if the Ark had came into HIM?

2010/5/18 9:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy