SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does anyone know of any good pentecostal theologians?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
EverestoSama

Re: Does anyone know of any good pentecostal theologians?

Jacob Prasch. A Jewish convert to Christianity. Besides being able to read both Hebrew and Greek, he's from a Jewish back round, so he's able to bring out even more or the original flavor of the texts. His website has a bunch of free sermons to listen to, so you can check him out for yourself. Because of the rules of the forum I will not post his website, however if you google his name I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find, or that of his ministry Moriel. Give it a shot. -Grant

Edited for grammar nonsense.

2010/5/17 10:33Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

Quote:
by KrispyKrittr on 2010/5/17 21:44:16 Joseph Smith.

His understudy Brigham Young was actually more fluent in "Modern Egyptian", so I think it would be better to start with some of his work first. His discourse on the 1000 year old Quakers who live on the Sun and the Moon is quite enlightening.

Also.... just kidding.

2010/5/17 10:39Profile
RainMan

Greatest Pentecostal theologian of All time

If i was going to pick the greatest pentecostal theologian of all time id have to give it to the Holy Ghost. But he is the greatest pentecostal teacher there is. I mean he inspired the bible who else to spend hours of tutelage under than the one who inspired the bible. Sometimes he might lead us to do a little home work by reading many great authors of Christendom but this is only cause he wants to expand our knowledge so he can reveal even more to us in the scriptures. Too many times i have ignored his tutelage in favour of the works of great thelogians this is almost a lustful desire to acquire knowledge but if he is the spirit of truth and he is with us to teach us all things then regardless of what the pope says or doesnt say regarding pentecostalism, regardless of what carter conlon says the truest conviction i have is that which is born out of fellowship with the spirit of truth. Allot of thelogians (regardless of denomination) will have that 3% of personal opinion in thier thelogy. That is why we must really seek to get to know the holy spirit. I have studied some thelogical topics for months and when i try to share it with my wife she says "yeah i kinda of knew that already" i laugh because what i had spent months reading via theology my wife who has little or know interest seems to be able to grasp by herself. That in itself has been a witness to be to pray more and have a deeper level of "KOINOIA"

PS: Thanks for this post i have been procrastinating on reading some of Gorden Fee stuff especially his exegeisis on old and new testaments.

pps: And lets not forget the good old people over at SI a big god bless you as well

2010/5/17 11:05Profile
EverestoSama

Re: Greatest Pentecostal theologian of All time

Quote:
If i was going to pick the greatest pentecostal theologian of all time id have to give it to the Holy Ghost.

I agree with you on this one. The sad thing however is that we live in a day where people don't have any healthy fear, and are not afraid to sign His name on their own ideas.

Even browsing through the forums, you don't have to go too far in the back catalog to find people posting conflicting ideas, but everyone claiming to have prayed about it and obviously implying that the answer came from the Holy Spirit.

I'd like to see a healthy fear restored, where people would be literally scared for their life to put God's name on anything, lest they be 100% positive (literally staking their life) that He had genuinely spoken.

2010/5/17 12:25Profile
RainMan

Re: EverestoSama

Spot on again. Was it Ananias that "stretched the truth" and dropped dead for doing so. The greatest struggle i have had growing is learning when the Holy Spirit was speaking and when it is just my own personal opinion (for example cessation or non-cessation beliefs). There were times when i wanted the scriptures to say something they dont and if im honest i probably still do. Allot of the times the Holy Spirit would correct me directly and if i am too stubborn then it may come in the form a rebuke from somewhere else. Im glad we all get things wrong from time to time that way God gets all the glory. But you are absolutely right we should reverence the Spirit allot more than we do.

2010/5/17 12:42Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

It should be noted that F. F. Bruce, though technically not a "Pentecostal Theologian," definitely had Pentecostal leanings and sympathies. I know he was officially Plymouth Brethren in his association, but, in his commentary on the book of Acts he definitely lays out what appears to be a very Pentecostal interpretation of the book.

2010/5/17 12:55Profile
osandoval

Re:

Probably the best one volume Systematic Theology is Wayne Grudem's work, which happens to be "Pentecostal" when it comes to the Holy Spirit. Grudem says he was influenced by John Wimber(Founder of Vineyard movement) regarding his views on the gifts of the Spirit.

2010/5/17 14:12Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

Both Peter and Paul were thoroughly Pentecostal... they turned out to be pretty fair theologians it would seem. Paul even gives us insight into his use of tongues beyond those in the Corinth church! :-)

In our moderm times I would have to agree the Grudem is stellar. Stanley Horton has also written a great deal from the classic Pentecostal position as a long time AoG faculty member.

2010/5/17 16:18Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

It should be noted that Wayne Grudem wouldn't technically fall into the Pentecostal camp. With John Wimber being an influence on him, he would fall much more into C. Peter Wagner's "Third-wave movement," or even the "charismatic renewal movement," than Pentecostal. It is common to lump all three groups together because of their belief in the gifts of the Spirit. But these movements when closely examined, are different. There are many in the Pentecostal movement who handle the charismatic renewal and third-wave movements with a bit of apprhension and caution. Some even condemn them outright. No doubt, there is some overlapping, especially once you toss in the "Word of Faith movement" in there. But, at least at the academic level, these are considered very distinct movements, with very different historical roots.

2010/5/17 18:10Profile
Giggles

Re:

Huh, I would have considered Grudem primarily reformed before anything else.

2010/5/17 19:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy