SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Body

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Body

I was about to reply to the recent post on the Holy Spirit, and began to think that my reply might better be considered a new topic. I thought Robert W had an awesome reply to the question asked, and it made me think of some things that God has been showing me from His word.

The work of the Holy Spirit is central to New Testament Christianity. The significance of Christ's return to the Father was the coming of the Holy Spirit of God to dwell in the believer. Christ was with them, but it was God's desire to be in them, in us. To have the Holy Spirit, to have the comforter, the paraklete, living in me and working through me is far superior to having Christ in earth in bodily form. This was the point of Jesus statements in the latter half of John 14.

Paul, in 1 Cor., gives the most detailed teaching on the Holy Spirit and of His workings in man in all of the NT. There was carnality and as a result error on the part of the church at Corinth in general, and Paul dealt with many things, giving detailed teaching as he did so.

I might say that one cannot take 1 Cor. 12 and 14 out of the context of 13, nor out of the context of the entirety of the letter. Paul deals with the workings of the Holy Spirit in the body through the entirely of the letter. I have come to realize that 1 Cor. 2 holds the same degree of influence over 1 and 3 as 13 does over 12 and 14. While proper understanding of the purpose and operation of the gifts of the Spirit in the church pivots around the agape love of Christ and our walking in and ministering from that love, the proper understanding of God's desire for the body of Christ pivots around the baptism of the Holy Spirit and what this means in the life of a believer.

Paul in the 1st chapter makes the statement that it is his desire that the whole body speak the same thing and be of the same judgment. He says that people were separating themselves into factions or we might say denominations or "non-denominational" denominations by making distinctions based on what teacher they followed. He lists himself, Apollus, Peter, and even Christ (the ones who say, "we separate ourselves from all others because we are non-denominational."). But Paul says it is God's desire that there be no division among us. If you read carefully this applies to what we teach and believe, to doctrine if you will. Some would say this is impossible. In chapter 3 Paul goes on with his teaching about this division by saying that the church at Corinth were babes in Christ and could not handle meat because of this carnality. Truly by dividing themselves based on their favorite teachers they were stunted in their spiritual growth, and their subsequent ability to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit. Could it be that this is one of the primary reasons the modern American church seems to be so devoid of power? It is worth considering.

But between chapters 1 and 3 is that chapter which, to some, seems to be disconnected. Really it is not. This chapter highlights what is arguably one of the most important works of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer. A function that, in my opinion, surpasses tongues and the gifts of the Spirit, although I believe very strongly in the active operation and use of tongues and the gifts in the church today. Continued...

2010/5/13 19:03Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Body

Paul begins by saying that His preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but was in demonstration of the Spirit and of power. Now demonstrations of the power of the Holy Spirit are not found simply in a difference in words. This is the same dunimas power as is spoken of in Acts. It is the demonstrated power of the Holy Spirit. It is the same demonstrated power as accompanied the word in Matt. 16:20. It is the same power Paul spoke of in 1 Cor. 4:19 that set the true man of God possessing the Holy Spirit apart from the man who had intellectual knowledge and enticing words. Paul said in chapter 4, we will test these guy's power and that, rather than their words, will tell us what is truly in them. It is speech anointed by and backed up by the demonstration of the Holy Spirit through signs, miracles, etc.

Paul then goes on to say that what he is saying is the perfect wisdom of God. Paul’s words were the perfect wisdom of God, the mysteries of God, the hidden things of God. The princes of the world could not know these things. Why? They are spiritually discerned (vs. 14). So Paul had some kind of an inside track, some way that he knew the hidden things of God. He was somehow able to speak wisdom that came directly from the throne. Then he contrasts what was true of old testament men without the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit with the experience of a new testament man who has been filled with the Holy Spirit. He quotes an OT passage. It is written that eye has not seen nor ear heard…BUT they are revealed to those filled with the Holy Spirit. How is this so? How can we know the hidden things of God, the mind of God we might say?

Paul draws an analogy from physical man. You don't really know what is going on in my mind. Only my own spirit knows that. Likewise it is only the Holy Spirit of God that can know what is the mind of God, not the carnal mind of man. If we have received the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit of God, we have, through that Spirit, the knowledge of the hidden things of God because the Holy Spirit knows those things.

We are filled with the Holy Spirit of God. We are saturated, baptized, immersed in the Holy Spirit. This communion with the Spirit of God causes us to know in our own spirits the things of God. 1 John 2:20 tells us that having an unction from the Holy One causes us to know all things. Not just some things, but all things. We, having receive the Holy Spirit have also received the things that are know of the Spirit of God that have been prepared for us. Paul caps this off by reiterating that we have the very MIND OF CHRIST.

How this effects our lives. The key to the church coming into doctrinal unity is allowing the HOLY SPIRIT to interpret scripture for us. Dogmatically following a teaching of man and trying to fit the word into that teaching is the antithesis of interpretation by the Spirit. If we will seek to be filled with the Spirit, and if we will cast aside loyalty to man and study the word on our knees, we will eventually begin to speak the same thing. If we have the right attitude toward our brothers, and in times of disagreement doctrinally humble ourselves and both agree to seek God and both agree that truth is more important than vindication, we will eventually begin to speak the same thing. It is NOT coming to an agreement with each other, it is each one coming into agreement with GOD!

Prayer...Oh My!!! Jesus is our intercessor, our mediator between us and God. He ever lives to make intercession. To have His mind and to thus be able to agree with HIS INTERCESSION? What power our prayer would have. We pray many things out of our intellect, but to come into agreement with the very things that are in the heart of Christ as He intercedes for His body is to truly pray prayers that avail much. I personally believe and have experienced this to be why praying in tongues is so important and powerful in my personal prayer life. It is to bypass my intellect and pray in agreement with the wisdom of God.

God desires for the manifestation of the sons of God walk this earth. John 1:12, Romans 8:14. But this manifestation cannot be fully realized without the Spirit of God dominating our lives. It is only when it can be said of me...and Travis, full of the Holy Ghost did...that I am walking where God desires me to walk. Not in my own power, not in my own wisdom, but in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Praise God!!!

2010/5/13 19:24Profile

Re:

Thanks Travis!!!

While thoughts arose to write about 1st Corinthians, rereading Robert's post made me rethink as well...then i looked to this thread here and wala!

Something about all this is beyond normal.

What do you think it could be?

Just something to add to the mix:

Jesus was given God's spirit without measure.
Paul admonishes for us to maintain the same mind as Christ Jesus.
This renewal of mind, by the washing of the water of the Word prepares us to recieve His spirit in greater fullness.
When we deny ourselves,
take up the cross
and die
the measure of the Spirit's influence in and through us
if we be completely in Christ
is ours in full annointing as well.

So many are heard praying for God's annointing though i have never been led by Him to do such.

i know from experience, by His guidance, pouring His thoughts in, through praying for Him to reveal His will (His will and testament is His Word), superceding any other consideration has always yeilded astounding results.

When this happens, (oh that i would continually ever walk in this) God pours out His spirit though me, often in so many ways i do not even realize at that point in time.

there is a cycle that seems to become more evident with each go round. though it's encapsulation isn word is not limited to these things, these seem to stand out predominant as things always occuring in this cycle:

Worship in prayer,
Focusing in on Jesus Christ prayerfully bowed down
Yeilding up these thoughts through The Word of God alive
and obedience to Him in this annointing that grows,
insight from this bears His fruit in others lives
and then He strengthens us in the further revelation(s) of this eternal covenant...
(repeat)

Though all these things are scriptural, is there anywhere that this way is so stated in scripture anywhere?

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

2010/5/13 23:59
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Body

I have been reading Art Katz lately, and he shared how God put it on his heart to re-study the bible, not from the stand-point of what he already knew or had been taught by rabbis or bible teachers, but from the foundational word itself. It revolutionized his life. He took each new study as a clean slate and prayerfully took it to heart.

Thinking about what you have written here Travis makes me think of the powerful manifestations of the Holy Spirit and power in nations like Africa. They have had relatively no teachers so take the word literally as their starting point and signs follow them that believe.

As you have said the "I am of Apollus" mentality is a road block to believing His word. Now I am not saying we can't learn from amazing teachers, like Art Katz, but we must again return to the Holy Spirit to teach us all things.

The outflow of spending time in His presence, and allowing Him to illuminate the word to us and praying in the Spirit, will cause our impact on the world around us to be exponentially more than it could ever be otherwise. We will turn the world upside-down, because it won't be our intellect, or biases, doing it, but the Spirit of the Living God.

2010/5/14 9:08Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Phanetheus: The power of the Holy Spirit working in us is the key. When Jesus explained how He was able to do miracles, He plainly said that He did not do these things out of any power of His own, but through the power of the Holy Spirit. He emptied Himself of divine privilege and operated as a man empowered by the Holy Spirit, although His identity never ceased to be God in the flesh. It is that same abiding and indwelling anointing of the Holy Spirit that gives us the power to fulfill Jesus' words in John 14 when He said that we as believers would do the same works that He did and even greater works because He went to the father. In John 16 He even said it was needful for us that He go so the comforter could come.

Goldminer: AMEN!

2010/5/14 13:04Profile
RevBenjamin

Re: What is the work of the Holy Spirit in the body.

Romans 8:11-13

11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Often I see so many think of the work of the Holy Spirit in us as duplicating and going even beyond what Jesus did in miracles.

However, when I read the great chapter of Romans 8, the chapter addressing the work of the Holy Spirit in the body, I do not see, not even once, any doctrine Paul tells us as having to do with preforming miracles.

Again I go to Galatians, another book concerning the work of the Holy Spirit in the body, and I still fail to see anything addressing our preforming miracles.

The ministry of the Holy Spirit in the Church age I believe is a work conforming us to the image of Jesus Christ. Christ formed in you. Not Christ the miracle worker formed in you. Christ in you, THE HOPE OF GLORY.

The greatest miracle of all is God himself entered our world, took on the form of a servant, was born of a virgin, became obedient unto death of a Cross, took upon HIM the sin of the world, being raised again for our justification, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. Only God Almighty can do that..not you!

The Gospel message of salvation is the work of the Holy Spirit through the BODY known as the Church.

To suggest we can do miracles greater that God, I believe is a concept taken totally out of context leading to destruction. Abide in me and I in you as YE CAN DO NOTHING without me.

Blessings,
R.G. Benjamin

2010/5/14 13:56Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

R.G.

I know that many take the scripture talking about "greater works" and say that this does not apply to what we would classify as miracles. Even if we were to agree that this statement does not talk about miracles, it is still impossible to get past the first half of that scripture. The works that I do.... All one has to do is look at the gospels and see all of the works that Jesus did. Almost without exception all of His recorded works were miracles. We will do the same.

You are absolutely correct in saying we can do nothing aside from Him. It is only the power of the Holy Spirit in and through us that allows us to effectively minister...period, be it preaching, teaching, counseling, praying, healing the sick, casting out demons, miracles, gifts of the Spirit, prophecy, you name it. In fact, careful study of what Jesus told us will demonstrate that even He did nothing of His own power or ability, but was totally reliant on the power of the Holy Spirit of God and did only what His Father told Him to do. It is the same with us. No more, but no less either.

1 Cor. addresses miracles, the book of Acts is one miracle after another. It is in the context of Acts that all of Paul's letters are written. One would not necessarily expect to find a great deal of mention of miracles in the epistles as he would in Acts, which is a history of event rather than instruction to individuals or churches. Galatians for example addresses the legalism that the judaizers were attempting to bring back into the church. The letters very purpose would probably preclude significant mention of the miraculous.

One thing we must remember is that miracles are not to exalt the one through whom they are performed. They are ministries of the Holy Spirit of God through His servants to others as an expression of His love and compassion and directed as the Spirit wills (1 Cor. 12:11).

It is absolutely true that a major work of the Holy Spirit is in transforming us and conforming us into the image of Christ. It is also true that being baptized in the Holy Spirit should bring with it an accompanying holiness that was not possible without the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. But this does not mean that God using His people in the miraculous gifts of the Spirit is not a valid and important function of the Holy Spirit.

I have seen God totally transform lives through the gift of the word of wisdom, word of knowledge, prophecy, gifts of healing, tongues and interpretation. God has used me to see the hold of a demonic spirit broken over a person (she was unconscious and unresponsive prior to prayer and had been cursed by someone involved heavily in witchcraft), to see instantaneous healing of a severely fractured ankle (the boy was out of his cast and playing basketball within the hour), and have seen scores of other miracles over the course of 30 years as a believer. I say this to say that my own experience is a witness before me and confirms the Word. These things did not lead to destruction, but rather served as witness to these people of the power of God and changed their lives.

Quote:
The greatest miracle of all is God himself entered our world, took on the form of a servant, was born of a virgin, became obedient unto death of a Cross, took upon HIM the sin of the world, being raised again for our justification, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. Only God Almighty can do that..not you!

Oh how true this is. Christ was uniquely qualified to do this for us. Without this, there is nothing. All other discussion becomes empty. Praise God for this unspeakable gift! Amen.

2010/5/14 17:24Profile

Re:

Thanks Travis, i needed that.

Sometimes these experiences are so powerful:

Completing the simultaneous prayers and His scriptural revelations through worship of Him...

-( i've come to see clearly rhema as:
not just a word of 'special(?)' revelation,
but even my eyes being opened to things from His word<--scripture coming to life in front of me] applicable at the point of another's needs seen and ministered to)-

...leads us onward in just another small step towards becoming as Jesus Christ was and is.

Out from the prayer closet expectations are to experience the power of His salvation manifest through His Spirit.

He knows me, and i am growing to know Him more and more. Man and wife cannot even compare to this intimacy...
and 4 spiritual laws doesn't cut the mustard.

I don't go out looking for souls to win. They just show up seeking.

I don't go out looking for miracles in praying prayers ov faith. They just seem to be a natural result of this relationship in Him.

Early early a couple of mornings ago, upon awakening from a very lucid dream. Relative to it, i began thinking about what Jesus had said, when the sent 70 disciples upon return had been jabbering about: all the great works that had been done. He said not to get all excitedly worked up about how the spirits must obey obey you, but rejoice instead because your names are written in heaven
(that's Lk. 10 : midchapter)...

...so it was wondered... thinking, "why do these things happen????"

Alot of people are being 'pickled' so what is the hinderance?
Sin?
Flesh?
WHAT IS IT???

Need for reformation?
For Revival?
Submission to God in humble praise?

WHaAT IS IT?

Whatever it is, the physical does not match the Bible as promised.

We can't be content thinking "oh, some just just don't believe as they should yet.

Such a pet answer seems so cliche'.

------------------------------------------------

Entering his presence that morning, it was scarier than usual. My body was getting weaker by the moment, i wonderd if i should even dare ask the "why".

i never got up the nerve, and strength was fading fast. Breathing grew heavy and then shallow.

At that moment sprung out verses to my mind...

-(and the verses still won't go away. Do you think just mayhaps there is more to be revealed in the next episode? i don't know how much of that this body can take. Your mind stays in a dither too, only able to focus on what happened)-

...Isaiah 65:

21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.

22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

23 They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them.

24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent’s meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

Then realized was walking in God's government (Mt. 6:32-33), though it has not yet happened in the whole earth, in His faith(fulness) He does more than we ask or even think of (Is. 65:24 above) ...or even consider possible.

What can anybody do but bow down to He who answers before we ask?

This body was so exhuased from that short encounter a deep sleep overcame like the speed of lightning, and out like a light bulb.

i woke up totally invigorated... refreshed.

Thinking the day had been slept away, running downstairs to the kitchen a pot of coffee was put on. A bath was drawn because of being drenched in sweat and then koncking out.

Looking out the window, it was still dark.

The thought was, "oh good, there's still plenty of time."

Shaving, the actual time was wondered about.

After shutting off the bath, the last gurglings of that fresh steaming wonderfully scented hazelnut coffee drew me kitchenward.

The clock on the coffee pot was confusing. The wonder was if somebody had unplugged it the previous night. Checking the clock on the stove, it showed the same time.

From the time of wondering to sak, to the time that first cup of java warmed this carcass was only 27 minutes.

Now how can anybody in the world not be thankful for things like that?

( Then pondering about prior to this eventful early morning, a watch that had quit working was going to be a simple little prayer request...and it started with it's beeping alarm going off...before the 3rd word came out in request:
"Oh Heavenly Fa___ ...beep ...beep ...beep...).

Reflecting on these things, a special thanks went up that my name is written in heaven and now How, through His Spirit, he answers before we ask.

The Bible was set to rest with a cup of coffe on the dining room table.

Reading time that day began in the 'minor' prophets.

The Bible was opened to Daniel and one verse, after finishing that book, then continuing, was sticking out like a sore thumb: Dan. 11:32.

Now i do not think i really know God that well... but we all are learning with His Holy Spirit's guidance, in thoughts and through actions.

CIAO!

g
Acts 20 :32

"The kingdom then is not for weaklings, waverers, and compromisers... It is not for Balaam, the rich young ruler, Pilate, and Demas... It is not won by means of deferred prayers, unfulfilled promises, broken resolutions and hesitant testimonies. It is for strong and sturdy men like Joseph, Nathan, Elijah, Daniel, Mordecai, and Peter... Stephen... and Paul. And let us not forget such valiant women as Ruth, Deborah, Esther, and Lydia"
~William Hendrickson~

--------------------------------------------

Ok now, all you sticklers for context, who adhere to exegesis and exposition giving little credence to the other 3 methods of Bible insight, explain this:

The only Italian prophet in the Bible, pronounced: "ma-lah'-chee" :
EDIT: (because there may be readers who might be unclear about this , that's a joke)
Malachi 4:5

...and then Jesus speaks regarding this:

Matthew 11:
11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come. 15 He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Anybody wanna' take a stab at explaining that?

edited for typographical stupidities

2010/5/14 22:22

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy