SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is this not sanctification?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Is this not sanctification?

2 Corinthians 3:18 says But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

I would like some thoughts on this verse. Do you think that this is sanctification, the more we see of him, the more are like Him? It seems to go very well with Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; . Any thoughts would be helpful, thank you.

2010/5/10 15:14Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Is this not sanctification?

Not just seeing HIM; but also being a doer
of the word as James says; "But those who
look into the perfect law, the law of liberty,
and persevere, being not hearers who forget
but doers who act--they will be blessed in
their doing."
JAMES 1:25

2010/5/10 15:32Profile
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Re:

I am not saying that there will be no change in behavior.But as we see Him in His word and through communion and we are changed into what He is as we see more and more we will act more and more like him. You will never act contrary to who you are. As you are changed you will have a new way of walking. It's not the mere seeing Christ but the change that happens to us in seeing Christ. What do you think?

2010/5/10 15:43Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Is this not sanctification?

Sure, it is part of sanctification. Sanctification is a separation from...unto. A separation from use for one thing and separation unto use for a totally different purpose. It was that way with dedicated vessels in the OT. Separated from use for the mundane and separation to use solely for the purposes of worship. It is really not a whole lot different for us, but since we are living men with a choice in the matter, we must become living sacrifices and walk out the sanctification that has taken place. That is, we are living vessels that could conceivably get up, walk out of the temple, and yield ourselves to carnal use again. So 2 Cor. 3:18 and Phil. 3:10 do very much, in my opinion, speak of sanctification.

2010/5/10 17:58Profile
jerryaustin1

Louisiana

Re:

I guess sanctification deals primarily with separation. This passage would deal with conformity to the image of Christ.

What would you say conformity to the image of Christ is in relation to sanctification?

2010/5/10 18:17Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Remember, separation from...UNTO. I believe VERY strongly in sanctification. But I have seen many who have forgotten the UNTO part and only seen the from part of sanctification. As a result, sanctification to them is a very dry thing that is composed primarily of a list of things that they don't do. They have forgotten in leaving the one that they are now married to the other. So, they are very legalistic, thinking their own actions earn them relationship with God. They have missed the point that it is from relationship with God that desire to leave all other lovers comes. So, sanctification has become cold and mechanical. Conformity into the image of Christ is the UNTO part of sanctification.

Edit to add a thought. We are to be separated from the world and conformed to His image. Two halves of a whole. Without both halves we really do not have sanctification.

2010/5/10 18:38Profile

Re:

Jesus Christ is our living example whom we follow, being the Living Word of God.

Your verses are part -as the ones following- of the whole. This is just the bare bones basics being experience them daily.

Really you state the ideal, the premise to the whole process:
"Behold the Lamb of God..."

We are sanctified continually by the Word of God, the'brass laver', a mirror in which we look, we judged our self and we are changed into the likeness of Him we behold.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James 1:
19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
Chapter 2:
1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

Then we work out by faith and in our daily living the truths that we have learned in the Word.

Jesus was the first one sanctified. He is the author and our fine-tuning-expert (aka:perfecter) in this process of sanctification.
Jn. 17:17

John 1-:36 see this statement made by the Lord Jesus Christ.
There are 3 facts about Jesus each of which is a pattern for our personal relationship with God:
1. God chose Jesus;
2. He sanctified Him – set Him apart unto Himself for His purpose;
3. He sent Him to fulfill His (and now our) Father's mission.

John 17:19 – Jesus is the forerunner of sanctification.
John 17:4 – pattern – Jesus glorified the Father; this is the end of sanctification.
John 17:18 – the relationship between the Father and the Son is repeated in the relation-ship between Jesus and His disciples.

Just as the Father sent the Son so the Son sent His disciples.

A parallel relationship repeated in John 20:21, Heb. 2:11.

Then comes our response in this work He has begun through our beholding Him always:

These scriptures make it so clear that God’s choice initiated the whole process : John 15:16, Eph. 2:10.
[Romans 12:1-6 mentions 7 different works through God towards our snctification
1. Present your body a sacrifice on living acceptable onto God(’s altar in Christ Jesus). Lk. 9:23
2. Resulting in a change or renewal in your mind, your whole way of thinking changes (Phil. 2:1-11)
3. Prove what is the a)good and b)acceptable, c)perfect Will of God.
4. God has given you precisely the measure of faith you need to do His Will
5. We discover we are members of Jesus Christ’s body-we find our specific place in the body
6. Fulfill your (job) function in the body
7. We begin to exercise the gifts needed to do that job.
Acts 24:16 ; I Cor. 9:24-27.
Following Jesus is personal relationship, first with Him, then His Body, then taking it to the streets.
Sanctification is a single hearted devoted to relating with God in the task(s) He assigns each of us.

CIAO!
g
Acts 29:32

2010/5/10 19:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy