Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : pain and God's guidance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
live4jc

pain and God's guidance

Dear brothers and sisters,

The past few weeks have been pretty difficult for me. As I've mentioned in some earlier posts, I had jaw surgery, 15 years ago, to correct an overgrowth of my jaw and this provided a bit of relief. However, nothing the doctors have done have afforded significant relief that is lasting. With the pain comes insomnia and it becomes challenging to maintain a positive outlook. I continue to look to God. He really is my only hope- in this life and for eternity.

Could you please pray that God will give me guidance, as I'll be seeing another dentist this week ? My situation is complicated with an artificial joint etc, but then God knows and understands it better than any dentist can.

I believe that my 'happiness' should not be dependent on whether or not this condition is ever fixed. Please pray that I count it all joy, during this time and that I truly rest in the confidence that the Lord is at work and that he is still there for me, even though my feelings of comfort may fade at times. Also, I want to be open to anything that God is wanting to teach me, during this time.

Thank you so much for your prayers. It means a great deal !

In Jesus,
John

2010/5/2 18:45Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: pain and God's guidance

John, I never heard of this condition. What is it called?

In any case will pray for you...I know well the problems insomnia bring to a person - it will exaggerate any other problem because for lack of rest.

I suppose you asked the LORD if there is anything YOU can do to alleviate the situation? I am sure you have done this, but it gets to be taxing, I know. God bless you...

ginnyrose

2010/5/2 19:11Profile
live4jc

Re:

Hi Ginnyrose,

It's a TMJ (Temperomandibular Joint) problem that I have. The overgrowth of my right jaw is called 'Condylar Hyperplasia'. The surgery did stop my right jaw from continuing to grow, but the overgrowth has left my joint discs crushed. The cartilage discs inside the jaw joint are like shock absorbers for your jaw- so I avoid bumps on the road. Some people ask if I set off the alarms at the airport (due to having a metal implant in my jaw). Not yet :) There, I can smile more easily online. It kinds of hurts to in real life, because of the muscle spasms in my jaws.

Thanks for your prayers ! I desperately need them, and appreciate them a ton, since God is definitely the only one who can truly sort this out.

In Jesus,
John

2010/5/2 19:33Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Re:

Hi John,

If I can encourage you brother in anything, it would simply be to know he somehow gives us grace through these things. I have dealt with chronic pain in my back for a number of years now, and to best describe it, I feel as if there is a sharp object piercing me inside. It is almost always continuous, and I often am weary from lack of sleep and the outright exhaustion from bearing it.

I also am a mail carrier.

Some would ask why on earth I continue, but it is because He gave me the job to be a witness and I choose also to receive the cup He has chosen for me. Like you said, either way, you want to accept His will.

I have found that alot of my character has changed for the good by this. I am more soberminded and very observant of others that hurt as well.

So, I do so pray that there will be an end to this particular trial for you, but am glad that you know He is in it for a purpose. May you be strengthened until the end brother.

Whether or not I am healed myself, He does grant me brief periods of time where I can somehow catch my breath and enjoy a reprieve. I try to picture it as His way of mimicking persecution and the pain endured during that. We don't have it yet as they do in other countries so I consider it an acceptable form of it. We live in a nation that flees from pain.

I hope you at least can somehow relate John. I would so love to be healed, but this truly keeps me close to Him.

Blessings, Kathleen

2010/5/2 20:29Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I try to picture it as His way of mimicking persecution and the pain endured during that.

Interesting observation...I have often thought of that, especially in how we react to pain: we want it stopped NOW and no later and all for good reason. But this is not the case, always. So how we we react? Then I think about all those Christians that endured torture and wonder whether I could withstand it?

When I have to endure severe trials I wonder whether I am now learning the lesson well that God is bringing my way. Rebelling against it means I have not learned it - yet. Yet, one never welcomes pain, for good reasons.

God bless you...
ginnyrose

2010/5/2 22:27Profile
ChrisMo

Re: Healing

I just recently read a book by Charles Price (I will paste the link below) it has helped me alot as I have 2 life threatening conditions. It talks about us looking to Jesus the author & perfecter of our faith. It takes the pressure off us trying to have faith & makes you realise that it is in Jesus that all things are possible.

http://www.enterhisrest.org/history/the_real_faith.pdf

2010/5/2 22:51Profile
live4jc

Re: pain and God's guidance

Thank you brothers and sisters for what you've shared with me. Kathleen, I can relate, in seeing how your physical trial has caused you to lean more on the Lord. I am also thankful, because without mine, I would not have moved out West, where I met my wife. I think that makes a lot of sense, how we should see our trials in comparison to what others other going through in countries where Christians are experiencing persecution. As Ginnyrose mentioned, we need to make sure that we are not rebelling against whatever trials God is bringing our way, but are submitting to them and looking at the good God is bringing our way through them. I always like to share with others that verse from 2 Peter about the trial of our faith being "more precious than gold that perishes", and need to heed this myself in this instance. Chrismo, I appreciate the link and will check it out. I imagine you are going through a lot with 2 life threatening conditions. God bless you ! Kathleen, you talked about how God can use our trials to make us more sensitive to the needs of others. It seems to me that God is doing this through you and through others. Praise His name for how he works through his servants. I'll pray for those of you who are going through some similar things in the physical realm.

Thanks again for the encouragement. Sometimes that can make a big difference, even when our situation remains the same. Am renewed in my desire to see God glorified, whether or not the condition is improved !

In Christ's love,
John

2010/5/2 23:25Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Re:

Praise God for your response John. Sometimes just simply knowing you are not the only one enduring great affliction is so encouraging.

I see very FEW professing saints suffer in the flesh, but he that suffers in the flesh has ceased from sin. The few I do know are filled with a sweet savor and I love being in their presence. Most are oblivious to their conditions, and one poor lady had been guilt ridden for years because she had been scolded for not having the faith to be healed. I say, "Where was their own faith to pray for her?" How sad.

Anyhow, keep us posted dear brother, and may you be a picture of peace and patience to each one you meet even as you are being treated.

God strengthen and keep you John.

2010/5/3 5:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy