SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Tactfully handing false teaching

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Saik0

Miami, FL

Tactfully handing false teaching

Before I begin I'd like to say that Campus Crusade for Christ is a ministry I work with as a student. Typically they teach solid Biblical principles, and little more. They are an interdominational ministry, and though it creates amazing unity among the body, it does have some flaws.

I went on a fall retreat with Campus Crusade for Christ this weekend. The speaker Bob Boyd had alot of very questionable doctroines that he preached. For insatnce, he titled his 'talks' on prayer "Unleashing God's Power." [As if God's power is a force we can use. How foolish to think that through prayer we can use God when it is God who uses us]

He nearly stated that prayer + evengelism = success. And that you should "pray on God's promises" and "expect Him to come through" [As if the Christian walk can ever be formulaic!] Two pieces of scripture came to my head. One was when Christ was being tempted to jump and angels would fly down beacese God promised that none of His bones would be broken, and He resopnded with "Do not tempt the Lord your God."

Another was in the Old Teastament somewhere when a king of Israel was afraid of losing a battle, he brought in the Ark beliving that God would not let them lose. If anybody knows what I'm talking about please, please remind me of where it can be found. So I suppose my main questions is if there is any more Biblical insight you can give me on this topic.

He did touch, though alot lighter, on some other distorted doctorine and some of that liberal Evangelicism that focuses far too much on man. I feel the Spirit moving me to talk with the other people on our campus about what Scripture says in contrast to what Dr. Boyd said. But I'm not sure how I could do that respectfully, specifically becase of another student who leader said he was really touched by the speaker and wants Him to come to our campus. Not to mention the fact that Campus Crusade for Christ is an interdemoninational ministry. I dont want to devide anybody, escpecially leaders, becasue my beliefs are more Augustinian. So confused...I've spent much time in prayer, and could really use some counsel.

Much Love,
Joel

2004/10/17 18:52Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Tactfully handing false teaching

I'm not familiar with Mr. Boyd or his ministry but it sounds like the emphasis is on success. The question is whether it is success in mans eyes or in God's eyes.

What kind of gospel does he preach? Is he just concerned with numbers, preaching an easy-believism, or is sin exposed and repentence toward God stressed?

In Christ,

Ron

2004/10/17 19:41Profile
Saik0

Miami, FL

Re:

It seems to me to be a worldly measurement of spiritual success. The gospel he preaches does lean slighty on the "cheap grace" side. This guy wants to come to our campus and preach using something similar to "How to have the greatest sex" and has spoken to teams about "Performing at your peak" etc etc etc

Columbia College is a very very liberal arts college in the heart of downtown Chicago. I do belive that the Lord could use a message like one he would preach, but I'm not sure if that is what our school needs. I fear people would reject the gospel because they would feel as if they have been fooled into coming to hear this guy talk about that awful word 'religeon.' I dont want people to feel as if are attending a gospel sales pitch. I belive that if the Lord's will for Columbia is a spiritual awakening he is going to do it through the love of Christ as displayed through His children. On another side, even if 99 people rejected Christ and 1 accepeted Him, than it would be better than having 100 people who never heard the message at all, right? 99 people would have chosen to reject Christ out of their own free will....I really dont know but my heart is in deep unrest about this.

2004/10/17 22:06Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
On another side, even if 99 people rejected Christ and 1 accepeted Him, than it would be better than having 100 people who never heard the message at all, right? 99 people would have chosen to reject Christ out of their own free will....I really dont know but my heart is in deep unrest about this.

Brother don't shrug off these convictions that you are feeling. The FULL gospel of Christ must be preached to this lost generation. There are many half-gospels, half-truths, many messages miss the emphasis of Judgement, Holiness, Sin, Repentance, the Life to come, most appeals are to the flesh and our comfort in this life. God is the one that converts an individual by the Spirit of God, man cannot give them a formula to agree to! God must bring the working of the conviction of the Holy spirit to break up the fallow ground of the heart. The process of making the heart new and accepting Gods spirit, being "born-again" is totally of God, the best method is to preach the truth of Gods word and allow people to be converted by God Himself.

2004/10/17 22:20Profile
dohzman

I'll keep you in prayer my brother,asking God our Heavenly Father to give you wisdom in this situation.Now we know that wisdom is the proper application of knowledge, specifically the knowledge that comes from God's Word.You were there----You need to press in to the WORD OF GOD and hear Jesus' voice for yourself.I'll pray that The Lord will give you the boldness to be obedient to His Word to you.God Bless /Love in Christ Bro.Miller

2004/10/17 22:42Profile
Shamgar

Re:

Quote:

Saik0 wrote:
On another side, even if 99 people rejected Christ and 1 accepeted Him, than it would be better than having 100 people who never heard the message at all, right?

But if that one conversion is based on a misconception of God's truth, that will not stand the trials of the christian life, then what is the point?

Only through the conviction of the Holy Spirit can repentance and conversion be attained. The Gospel must be preached truthfully.

2004/10/17 22:47Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
Another was in the Old Teastament somewhere when a king of Israel was afraid of losing a battle, he brought in the Ark beliving that God would not let them lose

[i]1Sa 4:1 And the word of Samuel came to all Israel. Now Israel went out against the Philistines to battle, and pitched beside Ebenezer: and the Philistines pitched in Aphek.
1Sa 4:2 And the Philistines put themselves in array against Israel: and when they joined battle, Israel was smitten before the Philistines: and they slew of the army in the field about four thousand men.
1Sa 4:3 And when the people were come into the camp, the elders of Israel said, Wherefore hath the LORD smitten us to day before the Philistines? Let us fetch the ark of the covenant of the LORD out of Shiloh unto us, that, when it cometh among us, it may save us out of the hand of our enemies.[/i]

...and following

2004/10/17 22:52Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy