SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question Concerning Head Covering:

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
4GIVEN1

Manitoba Canada

Question Concerning Head Covering:

What does the bible teach? Is it important? If so, why? If not, why not? Please share your conviction on this matter.

2010/4/28 9:54Profile

Re: Question Concerning Head Covering:

Paul makes it clear in scripture that God has given the woman her long hair as a covering. However, if someone wears a head covering because in their heart they are honoring God by doing it, go for it.

1 Corinthians 11:15

Personally, I don't think it's a sin either way. It's a heart issue.

Krispy

2010/4/28 11:04
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings 4Given1

This topic has been discussed in past threads, if you are interested you could also do a search and pull up the older threads as well to read through:)

Krispy: after reading what you posted about a woman's hair being her covering I got to thinking, do you think then it would be sinful for a woman to cut her hair? I mean if it is her covering? This is a question that has been on my mind and that I have thought about.
God Bless
mj

2010/4/28 11:06Profile
4GIVEN1

Manitoba Canada

Re:

5But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

then what do these verses mean with hair being the covering?
they sure dont seem to imply that hair is the covering

2010/4/28 12:16Profile

Re:

4given... you ignoring how Paul wrapped up his discourse... which is in verses 15&16. Context. Context. Context.

Krispy

2010/4/28 12:38

Re:

MJ... how long is long? How short is short? I think each person needs to seek out the Lord on these things and do what does not hinder your relationship with God. If your conscience bothers you because you have short hair... grow it long. If you have shorter hair and you are in a right relationship with God and you feel no gumption to grow it long... then let no one judge you.

Thats a Biblical principle that Paul taught as well in other places.

Krispy

2010/4/28 12:41
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

4GIVEN1,

I understand your point and agree.

In the history of the church it was understood to be this way. Headcoverings were worn by Christian women regardless of denomination. It has only been in the recent 60 +/- years that this practice has been abandoned by Christian woman. And with its abandonment it has exposed females to all kinds of grief.

ginnyrose

2010/4/28 12:48Profile
RoseM

Hazelton, BC, Canada

Re:

I started covering my head a few months ago. The first two articles that you can find here <http://www.bible-researcher.com/headcovering.html> really helped my husband I see that head coverings were appropriate for this day and age.

The first article is an expository look and the passage and the second article goes into the historical use of head-coverings in the first century.

We found the articles not overly biased in one direction. It seems as though the author carefully looked at the facts and came to conclusion that woman were to cover their head today.

2010/4/28 16:27Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Re:

If you read the verses more closely, it says " when praying or prophesying" twice. I had never read this until a couple of months ago. It gave me such peace and now I know if I'm praying or prophesying what to do!

Krispy, I know what you mean about context. So many have been in agony about wearing dresses, but when you read the scriptures concerning this, ( someone help me please with the verses), it also points out that men are not to wear women's apparel as well. When I read the entire thing, I realized that it was in reference to dressing as to appear as a man or woman by the opposite sex which is an abomination. We must remember that people have been sinning in this manner for a long time. There is nothing new under the sun!

I wear woman's clothing, and also needed peace about this because I am a mail carrier and had to wear slacks for this job. My route is my ministry so this is important.

Alas though, the Word says, "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." Please forgive me if I have gotten this scripture a bit off; I'm just home from work.

The most important thing is that I fully respect anyone for the choices that they make and have peace with. If I am round anyone that wears a headcovering or skirts, I will abide by their desires. I have a very dear sister in the Lord who is a Mennonite who insists that I dress as I feel, only with modesty.

I hope this blesses someone.

2010/4/28 16:54Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Question Concerning Head Covering:

My suggestion is to read the text in 1. Cor 11 with the intention wanting to observe what is says. The text is not hard to understand, you do not have to be a theologian or greek scholar. If you want to contextualize it before you want to obey it, you will not understand it properly. I do believe head-covering is an ordinance that expresses a biblical understanding of headship. God is the head of Christ, Christ is the head of man, man the head of women. It is a small commandment, not meant to oppress women, but a privilege.

My wife observes it and I do not judge all the others in our church who don't. It does not make her more spiritual.
Here is an extensive study about it from G.W. North

http://mp3.biblebase.com/pdfs/signofauthority.pdf

2010/4/28 17:07Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy