SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The "New(est)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BIGGS

Oregon City Oregon

The "New(est)

When I was younger, there were some "older folk" (that's me now) with raised eyebrows at the "new music" the new(est) Bible translation, the disrespect we sometimes showed by showing up on Sunday mornings without our necktie, or even the way we would yell “praise God” or “amen” in the middle of the pastor’s sermon. But they never questioned that we loved Jesus, there was never any doubt that our love for our Savior was so real and genuine. They were certain that we knew the only Way to the Father was through Christ.

So with all the new(est) talk of Ordinary Radicals, Emergent Theology and all those associated with the other new(est) and greatest things that young people today are into, far be it from me to be an “older folk”. There just seems to be a dangerous acceptance, an all inclusiveness that that is being taught today that doesn’t feel right, doesn’t fit with what I, and all those how have gone before me, know.

We all know that some of the “older folk” in Christendom have been neglectful in their caring for the sick, the hunger, those in jail and the community of disenfranchised people in general. Some have even seemed to be repulsed by “those people” who smelled funny or who they had to step over on the sidewalk when they were forced into an area of town they “wouldn’t be caught dead in” otherwise. But that doesn’t mean we have to throw everything we know to be True out the window because of some of those who have gone before us who didn’t seem to get it right.

That doesn’t mean that we throw the Gospel out the window and write a “New” Gospel that fits our current New “world view” by accept everyone who chants some incantation of social equality or eco-Christianity. True Christianity is an exclusive religion Loved Ones. While True Christianity is one that accepts everyone who would, it is very dangerous to accept anything that sounds like it is New and Right by accepting anyone who might. There is dangerous ground being broken with those who are teaching “another gospel” and proclaiming “another Jesus”. (2 Cor. 11:4)

We are commanded to “test everything and hold on to what is good” (1 Thess 5:21). We are responsible for our own salvation “in fear and trembling” (Phil. 2:12), not making up our own definition of what salvation should be because some believe God made them the way they are or because they think “God is love” and won’t banish them from His presence for Eternity.

It is obvious that this whole topic is very hot, and anyone who even suggests that they are not in agreement with it are immediately branded a traitor, written off as someone who just doesn’t “get it”, or worse, just one of those “older folks”. How did I get this old? LOL!

As we, ourselves “testing everything” in light of scripture, even that which is being proclaimed by the “up and coming” theologians, the “new prophets” who are telling everyone we have gotten it wrong for a long, long time and that now is the time to get it right and they are going to tell us how to get it right, we actually are growing in our own understanding of what is Truly right and growing in our own maturity to get it right in the first place.

Is anyone else concerned that Paul’s waning to Timothy about those who preach false doctrines might be a warning for us too? Are there any who are concerned that you might be so fed up with no one taking the social aspect of the Gospel seriously that you are ready to join any pack that comes along without making sure there are not wolves among you, that the Lion isn’t already devouring many who just want something different. Are there any who don’t realize that the only thing different is that your name is now on the Den’s menu?

As is very obvious that I am no theologian. Neither do I pretend to know all the answers. But this I do know, by the witness of the Holy Spirit of God, that it is not possible, just because your heart like that of God’s heart that is tender towards the lost, the hurting, the hungry, the disenfranchised, to accept everyone into the Kingdom just because we want them to know and experience the love of our wonderful Savior. There are conditions to being a member of the body and a dweller in the Kingdom.

There are requirements dear friends. Whether they seem unfair, mean, exclusive, unyielding, or any other reason, God, not us, has set the standard for Kingdom living. Although we love people God loves, it does not mean that people who practice those behaviors God has warned us are acceptable, or even welcomed, in His Kingdom. It does not mean that those who chose not to accept the requirements are acceptable Kingdom dwellers.

Although we love people who refuse to live a holy life (It would be better if they had never known the way to righteousness than to know it and then reject the command they were given to live a holy life. 2 Peter 2:21) we are commanded to “stay away from them” (2 Thess 3:14) and not accept them in the Kingdom because “they refuse to accept the Truth” 2 Thess 2:10). Likewise, we are not to accept those who preach that we are to be accepting of them.

These new(est) things are not within the framework we have been commanded to live in His Kingdom. We cannot turn our backs on what God is obviously telling us in His Word by listening to others tell us that what "He" is telling us in His Word is wrong. That He really didn’t mean to say what He really meant to say. We do not have the luxury to simply say, or listen to others tell us, “His Way really isn’t the Way it really is” or to listen to them say that “those who have gone before us have gotten it all wrong and we now know what is right.”

We have to work out our own salvation in fear and trembling by holding what is being said by the New Prophet-type by holding their words up to the light of scripture, God’s word, and asking the Holy Spirit, “is what I’m hearing right or is this wrong?”; and not just go along with it because it is something that sounds like what we also believe. We do not have the luxury of taking another’s word that what they are saying is true. Our eternal destiny is in the balance.

Neither can we afford to just simply accept what is being said because “some of it” is right, with some element of truth. “I AM” is the Truth and the Light. Not someone who says they know the truth and the light.

It is very obvious that many are starving for answers in a world gone mad. They are so hungry for the truth that they will almost accept anything and anyone who even sounds like they are getting it right. They will take what these New(est) preachers are saying as truth because it sounds good and it fits their loosely defined christianized lifestyle.

This world is so broken and so selfish and so hurtful and so mean and so neglectful and so self-self that we are starving for love and acceptance and forgiveness and togetherness and selflessness and oneness that many will praise anyone who comes along and says all the right things without anyone personally asking Jesus of the person saying all these things is truly His friend.

But Loved Ones, let us not be lead astray. This is exactly the scenario the Evil One has created to devour us, to lead us into temptation. HIS WORLD is so destitute of love that He has us right where he wants us and He is ready to snap, and has already for many, the snare. He has baited the trap with the New(est) this and the Radial that, knowing how hungry we are for what our spirit aches for. And in our starvation, the aroma of the Theology of Total Acceptance smells pretty good to our starving souls. But, the New Way this and the New Prophet that and the New Age everything else is so not the new Anything.

Those preaching the New(est) fail to remember that: “I AM” is “the same yesterday, today and forever”, not NEW. “I AM” is the Way for those who chose the “narrow path”, not the New Way. “I AM” the Bread of Life is the only food that is TRULY available for those who are hungry for the real TRUTH.

I often visualize standing in front of Jesus on That Day, wondering what it is I will tell Him about my life, like He doesn’t already know, in defense of my life. Knowing that I will “give an account on judgment day for every idle word you (I) speak” (Matthew 12:36), knowing that my tongue will not be able to lie in the presence of His True love and Holiness. And that scares the daylights out of me. That my dear friends is the “fear of the Lord”, a healthy, even happy knowing I have “tested everything”, fear that if I did not get it right by then, if I listened to the New(est) and not the “Old, Old Story”, I will not have the luxury of a Do-Over and will not spending eternity in His presence. It will be too late Loved Ones. 2 Thess 2:14

Please, “My friends, I beg you to watch out for anyone who causes trouble and divides the church (the called-out-ones of God) by refusing to do what all of you were taught. Stay away from them!” (Romans 16:17)……..lest you are so certain of their own Calling, that you would rest your eternity therein.

People who are listening to the New(est) apostles are hearing the old(est) story ever told and are being deceived buy the One who started the deception.

“But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough. But I do not think I am in the least inferior to those "super-apostles."” 2 Corinthians 11:3-5

may His Light shine thru you before others
delivered from all regard of others opinion
utterly impatient of useless routine...only for Christ

Michael

2010/4/24 0:27Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Re: The "New(est)

Thanks for your post Michael. It is true what you have said, for without holiness no man shall see God. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and it really seems as if no one fears the Lord anymore. I know I do, and those that spend time oft with Him and eat of His Word, are the ones that are more discreet in what they accept from others.

One day I know that I will stand before Him and that all the "others" that water down the Word, and preach a new and different Jesus than what I had received will not be there by my side. They will bear their own judgement.

It is far from popular to go against the flow as many follow their pernicious ways, but as I remember the likes of Noah, Moses, and Lot, I know there are few that go the narrow way. This is the way I desire. Lord, help me!

God bless brother.

2010/4/24 5:23Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy