SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Putting God First....What does this exactly mean? HELP!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
carly49

Ontario

Putting God First....What does this exactly mean? HELP!

Hi:

This is a subject that I have a hard time understanding! I don't know EXACTLY what putting God FIRST in our lives means.

God says He is a jealous God! We are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, strength and mind. Jesus says that many people love their wives, husbands, businesses, homes etc. more than HIM!

When I first wake up in the morning, I always say good morning to the Lord and bless Him first before I even say anything to my husband, but I dont think that's enough.

I had been in a backslidden state for some time till very recently. I know that the Lord has once again called me back unto Himself. Thank you Jesus! I WANT to get it RIGHT this time, while I still have the chance, with the help of God and people that love the Lord and know Him personally like YOU!

What do I physically and or spiritually have to do to "PUT GOD FIRST IN MY LIFE" so I can receive ALL the BLESSINGS that He has for me?????? You can quote scripture, but I still need to know what to do?

Carly
:-?

2004/10/17 10:55Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: Putting God First....What does this exactly mean? HELP!

Quote:
What do I physically and or spiritually have to do to "PUT GOD FIRST IN MY LIFE" so I can receive ALL the BLESSINGS that He has for me?????? You can quote scripture, but I still need to know what to do?

So.....if I'm to take this quote right, the reason you want to put God first is to receive His blessings? You want to put God first not to receive His blessings, but because He is worthy to be given first place in your life.

Question: How do you define "Blessing"?

If you listen to the sermon [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=282]Ten Shekels And A Shirt[/url] I think you will find your answer. :-)

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/10/17 11:48Profile
carly49

Ontario

Re:

Of course, I want to put God first just for who He is and Has done for me at the cross. But, since God wants to bless us, I do indeed want to receive all the blessings God has for me. Don't you? or Have you so many blessings that you don't have room for any more? I think not.

A person cannot receive God's blessings fully when they are not walking with Him and not serving Him. Amen?

Carly

2004/10/17 14:08Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Of course a person is blessed when he serves God. But according to your statement: ""PUT GOD FIRST IN MY LIFE" so I can receive ALL the BLESSINGS that He has for me??????" the soul reason for your wanting to put God first is so that you will be blessed.

Of course we are told to remember all God's benefits in Psalm 103.

The blessing in the Christian life has it's part in self-sacrifice. Not an ascetic self-denial, but in considering one's own life to be crucified to the world and alive to God. The Christian's life is hid in Christ and will not be found in accumulating "things" in this world.

Mat 10:38-39 ESV
(38) And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
(39) Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Gal 2:20 ESV
(20) I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Luk 17:5-10 ESV
[b](5) The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"[/b]
(6) And the Lord said, "If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.
[b](7) "Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and recline at table'?
(8) Will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink'?
(9) Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded?
(10) So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.'"[/b]

It's interesting that Jesus said this second part after the disciples asked to have their faith increased.

Gen 15:1 ASV
(1) After these things the word of Jehovah came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: [b]I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.[/b]

Is God not enough of a blessing?

How do you define "Blessing"?

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2004/10/17 14:53Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:

The last sentence of your statement that I have quoted above is a bit confusing to me. The only true way to knowing what to do is found in Scripture. You must search it out yourself;

[i]Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.[/i](Proverbs 2:3-6)

[i]And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.[/i]
(Jeremiah 29:13)

You can follow the greatest example ever of putting God first by prayerful study of the life of Jesus Christ in the four gospels. If the blessing of God ever rested upon a man it was Him. God gives grace to the humble, carefully consider the humility of Christ as you read about His life on earth.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/10/17 15:11Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Dear Carly,

First off Praise God! Just the admittance of hunger pains ought to be somewhat telling. That there is a concern within that this is not the case and you want to actually do something about it.

Think Hulsey's advice is good in part. One of the main thoughts in that outstanding message is that 'blessings' are a by product not the prime product and this may all be point moot if this is already realized.

You'll likely hate me for being simplistic here, but do you spend much time in scripture? In prayer? There is certainly a discipline necessary to often times make ourselves buck against our natures before that nature becomes more subjective to the desires that have over taken them...That's a ridiculous way of saying we become what we [b]set[/b] our desires upon.

I don't think putting ourselves into a guilt trip is the answer nor is being passive and waiting for the Lord to just bowl us over with some 'experience' or the other is going to do it. It does take some work, [i]Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that [b]he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.[/b][/i]

Without knowing more of the details this may be just speculation, but maybe some 'shock treatment'...For me, death is the topic that keeps me 'on track', that as well as the fleeting temporal existence that we are presently experiencing. Eternity is a long time without time. What could be more important than to know God at least as much as we can from what He has revealed of Himself through His Son, through scripture, through the Holy Spirit living within us, guiding us into all truth?

Maybe just a change of perspective would be beneficial. We can get bogged down in doctrine sometimes or on certain emphasis's and a change of thought can be eye opening.

Been reading, actually listening to a lot of the Old Testament lately, starting with Jacob and going on through Deuteronomy at the present and it really brought back the fear of God and while I am at it need to interject a comment on that. Beginning to wonder if there hasn't been a whole lot of soft-peddling the idea of 'fear' meaning 'reverence', I understand that to a point, but whatever happened to "[i]putting the fear of God into them"[/i]? I guess what I am getting at is the seriousness of all that the Lord God is, His Holiness, His 'otherness' and just where we rank in the scheme of things, very humbling yet also producing a real sense of awe and worship. That instead of squashing us like the bugs we are, He chose to love us and save us from His righteous wrath, putting it all on His Son in our place. Amazing grace indeed!

Sorry for the digression there. There is just so much to learn and grasp and it seems the more you get to know the Lord the more your hunger increases. It may depend a lot on 'where your head is at', the circumstances that surround you right now. What is your outlook on life and faith? Do you see the world in a biblical worldview, I mean do you tend to see things in day to day operation as being guided by a unseen hand? Do you talk to the Lord throughout the day? Asking for His help and guidance? Praying for others and for situations that come up before you?

The harder questions are we being honest with the Lord and others? ([i]'Are my hands clean?'[/i])Nothing escapes Him and admitting that to Him and ourselves is the first step in our healing. Remember He is seeking those who will worship Him in Spirit and Truth, but with that notice who is also doing the seeking, He is after you and want's to be more than 'first' but 'all'.

Here is a couple of items that may be of some help:

[url=http://calvarychapel.com/library/Tozer-AW/PursuitOfGod/0.htm]The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer [/url]

[url=http://www.ccel.org/l/lawrence/practice/htm/i.htm]The Practice of the Presence of God: The Best Rule of Holy Life[/url] By Brother Lawrence

Hope you only take what may be of help and disregard the rest.

2004/10/17 15:28Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Gotta check out the diet...

I understand where you're at. I suggest you focus on prayer and the Word and set all the other stuff aside.

Then I would categorize each area of my life and ask yourself honestly. Is Jesus the Lord of this area of my life or is it my flesh? Then take your list into your prayer closet and seek His face.

He (i.e. the Holy Spirit) will lead you and tell you where to go and what to do. If His grace is sufficient for someone like me, He certainly will be sufficient for you as well. Peace be with you.

Joh 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Just remember that the power of the blood of Jesus can break every idol and give you victory in this life. Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb... (May Jesus give you victory over sin.)

2004/10/17 20:21Profile
dohzman

Dear sister Carol; I heard a talk show host on christian radio sometime ago where a caller was in some kind of unrest about following Jesus.Unfortunitly the radio host gave some hyper spiritual talk about walking in the spirit or being lead of the spirit.It didn't satisfy him---it had no backbone--no substance.So here's a real practical answer to your question/concern.The Word of God... Just read and do the Word of God and keep your mind or the focus of your attention on Jesus as to prayer and communion and the rest will take care of itself.Amen...

2004/10/17 22:55Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

First of all, I will pray for you sister. I think one of the most encouraging things is to know that you're a part of a family of God who cares about your spiritual state and relationship with Him.

Second, I can tell you that I know how you feel concerning wanting God to be [i]truly[/i] number one in your life. I have always said that and thought I lived that, but that was put to the test this past year and I sadly failed. I put a relationship above my love, devotion and faithfulness to the Lord. A verse that has encouraged me recently is, [i]"... you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works..." - Revelation 2:4-5[/i] At this point, for God to be truly number one in your life, I would have to say that you have to be willing to give your heart over to Him for restoration, conviction, and healing. [laughs] I can tell you it's not fun. But the dirt, the filth [i]must[/i] be exposed! Even just this weekend I felt strongly and deeply that I needed to start cleaning house (the idea comes from many accounts in the Old Testament where the good kings cleaned out the temple of [i]all[/i] the idols that former, ungodly kings had put there). Just physically get rid of anything or anyone that's going to hinder me from drawing closer to my beloved God. He deserves all of me, and slowly but surely over time, He'll be faithful to show me one by one the things He wants me to willingly and trustingly give over to His capable care.

I hope I didn't babble on too much. It's hard sometimes to put words to your deep and personal experiences. But I hope this has encouraged you anyway. Take heart and respond to God's calling and woeing.

2004/10/18 13:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy