SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Lunch meeting to evangelize

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Shamefaced

Lunch meeting to evangelize

Hello,
If you could, please remember me in prayer today, I made a lunch date for the express purpose of witnessing to a gentleman that trained my work department in self defense earlier this week. We meet today, though he doesn't know that I plan to inquire about his soul. I'm a bit anxious but also excited to have the opportunity to share the gospel.

I'll post later to let you know how it goes.

2010/4/23 11:48Profile
Shamefaced

Re: Lunch meeting to evangelize

One hour 'till we meet...

2010/4/23 15:31Profile
Shamefaced

Re:

Ok, we just had lunch so here is how it went:
This man is a lifetime martial artist and has also developed a street survival defense system. He's also, as I just learned, an hard core agnostic. It was amazing to see how his body language changed when I brought up the state of his soul, he certainly didn't maintain eye contact as much and was overtly skeptical.

It's amazing how many questions and objections he has, such as "Who created God?" "Which religion is right out of so many?" "I can't believe in a god that I can't see". "religion is responsible for more death in the world than anything else." "What proof would be good enough or me? Show me God". Amazing.

Growing up, his mother was very religious and his twin brother is a Lutheran pastor in Minnesota. He felt that religion was good in that it brought people together but it was not for him; if he cannot see it, he does not believe in it. I tried to stay true to the bible and made a pointed observation that he disagreed with immediately: He said that he would believe in God if God would show Himself to him, I stated that no proof would be good enough for him, "in fact", I said, "as long as your spirit is unregenerate you cannot believe in God, and you will not, because of sin". Of course, he doesn't believe in sin or judgment.

This encounter showed me more than ever that we do not fight against the intellect or carnal sensibilities, but a much deeper issue- sin, rebellion, depravity, and blindness. No matter what answer I gave to his questions, it wasn't enough, his sin has blinded him to any type of reason. Pray that God will open his eyes, and though I saw no fruit from this encounter, to God be the glory for ever and ever.
Semper Solus Christus,
-S

2010/4/23 17:28Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Quote:
I saw no fruit from this encounter, to God be the glory for ever and ever.

Does a farmer plant a seed and then immediately expects to see fruit the very same hour?

I am not saying that God can't produce fruit in one sitting but those encounters generally happen because someone has already planted seed and it has been given time to grow. Don't be discouraged be prayerful. My only curiousity is how well you knew this guy before you tried to talk about the "state of his soul" I believe there is a common misconception that evangelizing can only be talking about the persons soul. What we need to realize is that showing someone the love of Christ is planting a seed. We also forget that the whole process of evangelizing is God working through the Holy Spirit completely Awakening the Heart, if its not God doing the work then its just intellect and won't last or be truly fruitful.

Paris Reidhead said we as Christian have three active roles in conversion We are an Intercessor (prayer), We are an Example of the Love of Christ, and We are a Witness to what Christ has done in our lives, apart from this it has to be God's work because He wants all the credit.

I find that instead of trying to talk about the state of someone elses soul I talk about what Christ has done in me (being a Witness of His Grace). You may disagree with this but I have found this is what works for me and people I talk with.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/23 19:27Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Paul planted, Apollos watered, but God gives the increase. That encounter may have been more fruitful than you know in this man's life. You were obedient and did as God led you to do. This bears fruit in you as well.

2010/4/23 20:08Profile
Shamefaced

Re:

Thanks guldner,
I wasn't sure if I would see fruit or not on this encounter, who knows? Maybe I would be the one to be privaleged to harvest? Most of the time I seem to sow, and that is absolutely ok with me. How long had I known him? This was the third time I'd met him, first time we'd had a conversation longer than a couple minutes. Now, I know that some think that one hold off evangelism until one gets to know a person, but in this case I felt the Lord guiding me to do this. I am content knowing that I did what God would have me do, I can only guess why He wanted me to talk with him, insofar that I may never see what god does with this.

2010/4/23 21:04Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Good, good as long as you did what the Lord was leading He knows what He is doing. May you continue to sow my friend.

2010/4/23 21:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy