SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Can a woman teach???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread

Can a woman teach???

1 Timothy 2:12 (New International Version)

12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.

I know that Debra was a judge, prophetess and led an army into victory .It seems that if a woman can speek the oricals of God that this is definetly teaching.

Secondly if Jesus destroyed the works of the enemy and man ruling over woman was a result of the fall this condition should of been rectified through Christ sacrifice???

Also the prophet Joel said in the last days God would poor out his spirit on men and women. They would see visions and dream dreams. If visions and dreams are given to serve the body the woman would have to teach men what the spirit showed her????

I am getting conflicting messages about this subject. Please bring some clarification !

2010/4/22 10:46

Re: Can a woman teach???

Dear me, what a can of worms thou hast opened.

I feel sorry for Paul.

2010/4/22 10:54

Re: thanks

thank you for you comment.

2010/4/22 11:06
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Indeed a can of worms has been opened. :)

um I don't really have much of an answer but I do know that when the first churches started it was really one of the first times women could be around while such matters occured and so since their knowledge of scriptures was limited they would ask tons of questions while the Spirit was flowing and interupt the flow of the Spirit, which is why said if women have a question they should wait until they get home and ask their husband. You can precieve this intereptation as any woman who isn't qualified to teach should be silent. At least that is what I have been told. I expect this answer is common and will probably get grilled by someone of the other camp which I am okay with. :)

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/22 11:08Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

I honestly have no convictions against
women teaching from the Word of GOD.
I know of several women gifted in this
area of ministry; Beth Moore, Kay Arthur,
Joyce Meyer just to name a few.

2010/4/22 11:33Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

No, women can not teach in the public gathering of the saints (1 Cor 14). However, they do teach in other contexts, such as teaching other women, or evangelism.

Also, woman's submission to man is not a result of the fall. Authority/submission existed within the Trinity for eternity past with the Son submitting to the Father. The concept of submission is not a fallen concept, it was God's original intention for man/woman even before the Fall.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2010/4/22 11:50Profile

Re: Because

Genesis 3:14-16 (Amplified Bible)

14And the Lord God said to the serpent, Because you have done this, you are cursed above all [domestic] animals and above every [wild] living thing of the field; upon your belly you shall go, and you shall eat dust [and what it contains] all the days of your life.

15And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her [a]Offspring; He will bruise and tread your head underfoot, and you will lie in wait and bruise His heel.(A)

16To the woman He said, I will greatly multiply your grief and your suffering in pregnancy and the pangs of childbearing; with spasms of distress you will bring forth children. Yet your desire and craving will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.

The word because seems to indicate that this was a result of the fall. I do however know that the Lord wants us to be submitted to one another out of reverence to Christ.

2010/4/22 12:08

Re:

Joyce Meyer is a gifted teacher?? Uhhh... she's a heretic and a crook.

Anyway, women are not permitted to teach men or "usurp" the authority of men in the church. Period. Thats what the Bible says. There is no debate beyond what the Bible specifically says.

This is not saying she cant teach outside of the local church. Kay Arthur is not usurping mens authority. Her books are there... if you want to read it, read it... if you don't then don't. But the local church body is to be pastored and eldered by men. Leadership.

Debra is not a good example to use because she was a judge... not a priest. She did not serve in the Temple... the male preists did. Everyone brings her up, but she did not serve in the same capacity as so-called "women pastors". Apples... oranges...

Krispy

2010/4/22 12:22

just when i thought it was safe to go back into the water..........."money", this topic, among a half a dozen turgid others has plowed, and hashed, re-hashed, shredded, pulped and composted here, again, and again and again and again, to very little profit.

But you can get Brother Don Courville's "Desert Survival" teachings here for download, or listen to the wonderful preaching of Duncan Campbell, who was blessed enough to be counted faithful, to witness the Hebridean Revival, thats the real onus of this wonderful website.

I dont mean offense brother.

2010/4/22 12:34
hoohoou

Texas

This is a good topic of conversation. I think the biggest issue with these verses is what most of us have been taught in school and through society. That is, women can do anything a man can do and to say otherwise is ridiculous. Once a man begins to seeek to be a whole-hearted disciple of Christ however he must commit to obey scripture. This one is tough to swallow because it feels "mean" to most men (in my experience). But the fact is that God has told us that a women should not have authority over a man. We can't simply explain that away with the old explanation that women were just talking too much in the early church services.

This is something that the Lord has placed on my heart. I think that scripture is very plain on the issue. It's just that we don't want to accept it. My wife and I have talked about this and she agrees with me. Neither one of us fully understand it, but if God felt the need to mention it twice we might want to obey. The key in it lies in the spirit behind it. Just my thoughts.

2010/4/22 13:00Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy