SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : John 14:15...wondering?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
wind_blows

John 14:15...wondering?

Is there some teaching on John 14:15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

I have wondered why there seems to be so little teaching on this, I have not come across much on the matter. So many times I get asked questions about what a Christian "should" do or "must" do; it always makes me wonder why is it a "should" scenario, I mean if we love the Lord doesn't it only seem that we would want to do all that He asks of us. The word "should/must" implies that one is being obligated to do what they are asked. IF we truly love Jesus, isn't it a privileged, a joy even to do what He asks of us. What about the love He has for us and we have for HIM isn't that enough to draw us and cause us to want to obey HIM?

in Him

2010/4/19 0:37Profile
Ethan

Dubai

Re: John 14:15...wondering?

you are right brother. this love compels us to follow Him, who died for us. it is not making a list of laws what to do and what not to do, but to simply obey whatever he tells you to do. the next verse says He will give you another helper - who will help us. Jesus goes on to say Helper will glorify the Lord Jesus. isnt ironic we sometimes miss the point? if we love Him, we will keep His commandments becuase the Holy Spirit will lead. if not, He is not leading and we are grieving Him as paul says.

God bless you
Ethan

2010/4/19 3:35Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: John 14:15...wondering?

Love is the beauty that shines from the
Soul of the Crucified. Love is a lesson.
We must learn to express that love when
life is hard, when people are unkind,
when we are misunderstood. May the
beauty of HIS wonderful love be expressed
in your heart and life today!!

2010/4/19 10:45Profile
whyme

Re:

Wow,

If Christ says that the one who loves Him will obey Him and He throughout Scripture (through the Spirit of Truth)gives His various and often specific commands, am I making too big a stretch to suggest that we should obey those specific commands ( "laws"). Christ also says that the one who obeys Him will abide in Him and also, of His own life on earth, said that the Father loves Him because He obeyed the Father exactly (John 13 ). Is not a command a law or am have I got this wrong?

2010/4/19 14:19Profile

Re:

Yes, you are right in saying a command is a law.

To 'keep' in this verse, and those following (vv. 21,23), means that we should "continually keep them before our eyes, filtering the way we percieve things to be according to our senses, so that we will observe to do them BEFORE any physical considerations taint our faith(fulness) towards God.

Jn. 5:26-27
Jn. 8:15-16

The Judge of all the earth, as Abraham called Him-Gen. 18:25 is the one and same Law giver, who wrote the ten commandments --[in stone (twice), for Moses to give to the children of Jacob,]-- finding their resting place in the ark of the covenant.

I Peter 1:
17 And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; 

18 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, 

19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. 

20 He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you

21 who through Him believe in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

Many think it's legalism and therefore not of grace to obey God's commands. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Disobedience is no way to gain God's favor.

If one reads through Deuteronomy 8-12, it clarifies that the intentions of the law are so that God can show himself strong in the earth through his people: that those who are not in covenant with Him will fear YHVH who makes you strong.

Obedience to this purpose is to bless and be blessed.
Rom. 7:12

Jesus said if you

------->LOVE<------
live-and-breath-for me,

------------>KEEP<--------------
ever-observe-so-that-you-will-do

my

COMMANDMENTS> ἐντολή [entole /en·tol·ay/] AV translates as “commandment” 69 times, and “precept” twice.

1 an order, command, charge, precept, injunction.
1a that which is prescribed to one by reason of his office.

2 a commandment.
2a a prescribed rule in accordance with which a thing is done.
2a1 a precept relating to lineage, of the Mosaic precept concerning the priesthood. 2
a2 ethically used of the commandments in the Mosaic law or Jewish tradition.
(Showing Every Word of the Text of the Common English Version of the Canonical Books, and Every Occurrence of Each Word in Regular Order. Ontario : Woodside Bible Fellowship., 1996)

There is quite a difference between obedience because of this kind of love, and working the Law thinking i will be made righteous before God because I do this.

One is born of a love relationship.
Eph. 2:4-5

The other is a burden bourne (i.e. 'works')which no man can keep (without this love relationship).
(i.e., legalism)
Gal. 2:16

Why is little teaching heard on it?

IDOLATRY!

CIAO!
g
Acts 20:32

2010/4/19 17:52

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy