SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ten Reasons for not Repenting from Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gideons

Virginia

Ten Reasons for not Repenting from Sin

My pastor delivered a powerful sermon entitled "Wasting Away in our Sin" on Thursday night. He talked about ten excuses for failing to repent from sin and refuted the excuses in the Word.

[b]Here are the ten excuses and I've included them all in the first person:[/b]
1. I don't know how to repent (or it could be stated I can't repent).
2. I don't have time to repent.
3. I just have a sinful nature.
4. I'm just waiting on Jesus to repent.
5. I can't repent because of my circumstances.
6. I can't repent because my health is poor.
7. I can't repent because I have a hard heart.
8. I just didn't know any better (i.e. ignorance).
9. It's God's responsibility to make me repent and if I haven't repented it's His fault.
10. I don't need to repent.

One of the scriptures, he closed the sermon with was Psalms 106:43 which says " Many times he delivered them, but they were bent on rebellion and they wasted away in their sin." This is what happens when we fail to repent or make excuses for not repenting.

Let's not waste away in our sin any longer.

2004/10/16 12:06Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: TRUE REPEENTANCE is more than just being sorry!!!!

I just got this in my Email from InJesus.com.

TRUE REPEENTANCE is more than just being sorry!!!!
James McClay
Oct 16, 2004

Mark 1:15 .. "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

What does it really mean to REPENT??? Strong's Greek Word 3340 means

1. to change one's mind, i.e. to repent
2. to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

This word 3340 (Metanoeo) is from two other Greek words 3326 (Meta) which means "with, after, behind" and Strong's Greek word 3539 (Noeo) which means "to perceive with the mind, to understand, to have understanding" or "to think upon, heed, ponder, consider"

Paul told us that God would have to grant repentance (2 Timothy 2:25) to us, but Jesus told us that we must REPENT and BELIEVE. That is because there are TWO parts to us repenting. The first part is us CHOOSING by our own wills to BELIEVE ONLY what God says. To do that we have "to think upon, heed, ponder, consider" ONLY what God says. We can be "sorry" for our sins, but that is only the first step.

2 Corinthians 7:10
For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.

If we are just "sorrowful" for our sins without BELIEVING that God has set us free IT WILL ONLY PRODUCE DEATH. We should all want the LIFE of JESUS and we can ONLY get that if we BELIEVE that He has set us free at the Cross.

2 Corinthians 7:8-13
8 For though I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it--for I see that that letter caused you sorrow, though only for a while— [It is not God's will for us to ALWAYS be in pain. We will all experience pain as we suffer together with Him to be conformed to the image of His son, but OUR EYES MUST BE ON JESUS if we are to finish this course and allow His Way in our life.]

9 I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance [We can be sorry for our sin and EVEN HATE OUR SIN, but if we do not take the Word of God and allow God to purge us, ALL WILL BE IN VAIN.]; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God [What is the will of God – OUR SANTIFICATION … 1 Thessalonians 4:3 .. For this is the will of God, your sanctification], so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. [God wants to give us the RICHES of HIS GLORY, but we must ENDURE this time of suffering together with Him for that to come about in our life.]

10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret [God MUST do the work in us. We CHOOSE the Word of God, but it is He that ESTABLISHES that Word IN US. In other Words, KEEP BELIEVING … KEEP STANDING and allow Him to do that work in YOU!!!!], leading to salvation [That is the ONLY way we will be saved – BY ENDURING THE CROSS], but the sorrow of the world produces death. [We can be sorry for our sins and hate the things we do, but we MUST BELIEVE the REPORT that we have been set free. Simply believing that our sins are bad and wanting to be free, but never really taking God at His Word will PRODUCE DEATH in us]

11 For behold what earnestness this very thing [Earnestness means to give diligence or strive after something. IT TAKES EFFORT to KEEP STANDING and KEEP BELIEVING and KEEP COMING to the THRONE OF GRACE. DON'T GIVE UP – JUST KEEP COMING until God does His work in YOU!!!], this godly sorrow, has produced in you: what vindication of yourselves, what indignation [You better HATE the garment spotted by the flesh. ASK GOD TO HELP YOU HATE EVERYTHING HE HATES and KEEP STANDING on the Word of God until it is done in YOU], what fear [You fear God because you BELIEVE His Word – If you are not HOLY you will be DESTROYED], what longing [It does not matter how long it takes – KEEP STANDING on what God has said – YOU HAVE BEEN SET FREE!!!], what zeal [Take the Word of God and KEEP COMING TO THE THRONE OF GRACE], what avenging of wrong [You are VINDICATED when God casts the DEMON POWERS OUT!!]! In everything you demonstrated yourselves to be innocent in the matter. [Why were they innocent – BECAUSE THEY OBEYED the Word of God]

12 So although I wrote to you, it was not for the sake of the offender nor for the sake of the one offended, but that your earnestness on our behalf might be made known to you in the sight of God.

13 For this reason we have been comforted. And besides our comfort, we rejoiced even much more for the joy of Titus, because his spirit has been refreshed by you all.

2 Timothy 2:20-26
20 Now in a large house [This is HIS CHURCH] there are not only gold and silver vessels [Those being purified and made HOLY in the furnace of affliction], but also vessels of wood [Wood is CONSUMED in the fire. Many in God's Kingdom will fall in these last days because they have not taken God's warnings seriously and prepared themselves for JUDGMENT. Testings come because of the Word and EVERYONE who calls upon the name of the Lord will be tested. If you have not been practicing thinking and doing ONLY THE WORD of God – YOU WILL FAIL THE TEST] and of earthenware [These are vessels made of clay. THEY THINK ONLY IN THE NATURAL], and some to honor [because they THINK ONLY THE WORD OF GOD] and some to dishonor [because they have not been faithful to OBEY HIS WORD. When they are tested they will become REJECTED SILVER].

21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things [What things?? READ THIS ENTIRE CHAPER], he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work. [Get that "PREPARED for every good work." You better start NOW to take this Word and say "Lord HELP ME' "LORD DELIVER ME" "LORD CHANGE ME" or
YOU WILL NOT STAND IN THE DAYS AHEAD

22 Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.[How do you do that? You have a pure heart when ALL YOU THINK ABOUT IS THE WORD OF GOD. Keep coming .. Keep standing .. and allow your thoughts to ONLY THINK THE WORD OF GOD – I (say your name) HAVE BEEN (past tense) SET FREE (from all sin) at the Cross (as I stand in what Jesus has ALREADY DONE]

23 But refuse foolish and ignorant speculations [Don't listen to what the powers of Hell are saying. They will make EVERY EXCUSE why this is not true for you. Tell them to GO TO HELL and keep standing on what Jesus has said], knowing [How do you KNOW something – you KEEP THINKING IT and disregarding every other thought that might come in your mind] that they [demon powers] produce quarrels [They will argue with you in your mind, "Look at you. You sinned again. You just can't overcome. Jesus set you free, but you must be doing something wrong. God doesn't love you. You are going to fall. You have been cut off." ETC. ETC. ETC..

DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2004/10/16 15:54Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Ten Reasons for not Repenting from Sin

May I add another one, a general derth of word in the believers life.

You cannot read the book humbly and not be challenged/changed by it.

2004/10/16 16:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy