Discussion Forum : General Topics : Aplogetics: The Theology of Time Travel

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Aplogetics: The Theology of Time Travel

#
Romans 5:6 KJV
For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Read Romans 5 | View in parallel | Compare Translations| Interlinear view
#
Romans 8:18 KJV
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

With Doctor Who and other theological questions, how would you answer the question ? If Time Travel was possible, how would it affect the fundamentals of the Christian Faith?
Could Dr Who affect Paul?

I have been thinking of ways of counteracting this is that as God knows everything, he would know everything anyway!

2010/4/17 6:36Profile

Re: Aplogetics: The Theology of Time Travel

HI Dom,

Men will never be able to time travel, that would be one of the bounderies that God would put in place I believe. Only God is the master of time. Time exists for His purpose alone, He created time. Interestingly enough, there is no time outside of the reality that God has created for us. In His place, one day is as a thousand years. He is the same yesterday today and forever. Its an interesting theory that as each one of us dies, we come before the seat of Christ because time only exists in our realm. So there does not have to be any waiting..........brother Frank

2010/4/17 10:35
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Aplogetics: The Theology of Time Travel

I like what Frank said. God knows the end from the beginning because He is outside of time itself in the same way that a painter is outside of his own painting. The creator of time cannot be bound by time as it is His creation.

I know it is crude, but I have pictured it this way. If I build a maze from wood and place mice in the maze to try to find their way through, I can see the entirety of the maze from above and can see the twists and turns and the end from the beginning, but the mice can only see the passage they occupy at any one moment. God did not put us in a rat-race maze, but you get the picture I hope.

So I guess when I die I will time travel in this sense. I will step out of time and into the timelessness of the creator's frame of reference. (Sounds a little like general relativity doesn't it).

Travis

2010/4/17 10:41Profile
Giggles

Re:

Not sure I understand the original question, simple as I am, BUT I will say I believe time travel is perhaps possible.

2010/4/17 10:50Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
Men will never be able to time travel, that would be one of the bounderies that God would put in place I believe. Only God is the master of time. Time exists for His purpose alone, He created time. Interestingly enough, there is no time outside of the reality that God has created for us. In His place, one day is as a thousand years. He is the same yesterday today and forever.

I agree with what Frank said here.

God bless
mj

2010/4/17 11:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Not sure I understand the original question,

Giggles, have you ever read "Alley Oops" the comic strip? Or seen "Time Changers"? Both deal with time travel. The theory is when you step out of the current time frame into another era. Make sense? No? Well, it doesn't, but is a fun thing to play around with, apparently, because some people market this in their story line.

I also agree with the brothers who posted their take on this issue.

Hope this helps..

ginnyrose

2010/4/17 11:23Profile

Re: Apologetics: The Theology of Time Travel

Well, we know of at least two men who have; Moses and Elijah. They appeared on the mount of transfiguration and communed with Jesus; Moses 1500 years ahead, and Elijah perhaps 8 or 9 hundred years in the future. Did you ever wonder what they discussed? What did these men need to know? I'm sure they weren't counselling Jesus.

Do you think they said something like; "this is the coolest thing...this time travel word!"..."Could we see the Red Sea collapse on those Egyptians one time...!"...."The Flood! Yea!"...or, "Take us to the Garden to meet Adam!"

Perhaps for those itching for the fantastic time voyages, He decided to just bottle the whole thing out of our memories.

Isaiah 65:17
[ New Heavens and a New Earth ] "Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind."

Even Doctor Who?...That seems cruel, but I guess I'll get over it.

2010/4/17 11:40

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy