SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is It Wrong For Christians To Watch Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
osandoval

Is It Wrong For Christians To Watch Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts?

I work with a few Christians who enjoy watching those things and have all kinds of rationalizations and justifications for it. I lean heavily toward the view that it is sinful and a symptom of lukewarmness, but I haven't really been able to make a good case biblically or persuasively. Any help would be appreciated.
Oracio

2010/4/16 17:35Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Is It Wrong For Christians To Watch Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts?

Here was a thread where we discussed this once.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32088&forum=35&start=10&19]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32088&forum=35&start=10&19[/url]

Jesus told us to love our enemies...is that not enough?

2010/4/16 18:29Profile
nasekom

Dublin,Ireland

Gen 6:11
"The earth was ruined in the sight of God; the earth was filled with violence." first world was destroyed because of violence.this 1 point is enough for me not to spend my time watching and enjoying it.

2010/4/16 20:21Profile
osandoval

Re:

thanks Areadymind. just finished reading the thread and found it very helpful.

2010/4/16 20:21Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

I was talking with a co-worker the other day. He was telling me about a program that is on TV, I think it was called Sparticus? It had something to do with fighting anyway.

He made a point about how one of the popular elements of this 'show' was the way the screen freezes in on when blood is shed? Is that right?

I wrote something down probably about two years ago. I happened to come across it the other day looking for something else. I suppose it will be alright to share it here.

The Romans used to watch men kill each other, and they called it sport. Who was it that saved us from such madness? Was it Mohammed? Was it Buddha? Or Krishna? Witchcraft? Satanism? Humanisim? Higher education, or the welfare state?

And will you find it entertaining again?

Ohh people who have heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Ohh land that has recieved His salvation for so long, will you now say unto HIm

"give us Barabbas instead"?

2010/4/16 22:33Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Ohh people who have heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Ohh land that has recieved His salvation for so long, will you now say unto HIm

"give us Barabbas instead"?

They chose a murderer and a thief.

2010/4/16 23:02Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

My husband and I used to watch boxing before I got saved. Now I can't watch violence of that sort any more. To see some guy getting his face beat to a bloody pulp is offensive to me. Also knowing that many of these men suffered brain damage is enough to not participate in it. I know Jesus went through beatings, but that is totally different than sport. How does boxing fit in with loving your brother.

2010/4/17 0:32Profile

Re:

Paul declared,

1Co 6:12 ¶ All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

So I say be emersed in the word and prayer more and one will be able to see more clearly about this subject.

2010/4/17 6:07
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

odandoval:

In your discussion with these Christians, the question of "is it wrong" is in my opinion the wrong question. The very fact that we would phrase a question in the form of, "is it wrong to..." concerns me very much. This question is basically the same as asking, "Can I legally do this without fear of consequence. Is this legally permissable?"

Does it edify me spiritually to...?
Does it tend toward more Godliness if I...?

These are to me more pertinent and appropriate questions. I desire to do the things that build me up spiritually and cause me to grow in my walk with God and to avoid the things that don't.

I don't like watching those kinds of things. But I don't think my preference is the gauge by which I measure things. I see no scriptures that plainly speak to it. But what is the benefit? Paul said, "All things are lawful, but not all things edify me."

Travis

2010/4/17 11:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Oracio,

Seems to me you got a lot of excellent points on this issue on this thread.

Mind if I take this issue one step further? In my walk with the LORD I am finding literature where violence is the accepted norm very offensive. It is where people live with it, tolerate it with no conscience against it. Some of these books are even called Christian novels. I know in order for a book to keep a writer's interest there must be some tension which is why I tend to go for children's literature. Biographies/autobiographies are also edifying. I got one this morning: "Lead, Kindly Light" by Helen Grace Lescheid. Looks like an interesting read.

Have a blessed day!

ginnyrose

2010/4/17 11:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy