SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Seeking some helpful advice for a friend

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Seeking some helpful advice for a friend

Greetings

I have a question about blogs, facebook pages, and twitter. My question is this, I have a friend who set up a blog page a couple of months ago and she has been posting different things to it. She invited several from her fellowship to visit her blog and they were really critical of her for it. They thought because she posted recipes, things about her daily life, stories about her children and family as well as some very inspirational teaching about Jesus that she was being frivolous with her time in the Lord.She said she was told that unless she is doing a blog only about Jesus then she is seeking attention for herself and that is sin on her part. I was wondering how many who have these kinds of accounts use them only to share Jesus with others? Do you share other kinds of things like family events and things the Lord is doing in your life as well?

I think my friend was very much enjoying writing her blog entries but said now she feels very guilty and wonders if she should close the whole thing down?

God Bless
maryjane

2010/4/11 11:35Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Seeking some helpful advice for a friend

I have facebook. I use the account 75% of the time to post scripture. The other 25% of the time I use it to keep relations up with either believers or non-believers.

Is it sin to talk to others about themselves, or to share things that you have done/made with others??? Not at all. Preaching the gospel to folks doesn't mean that we always have to brow-beat them or Bible thump them. Sometimes it is the witness of a "My family really enjoyed this dish, maybe yours will like it too" conversations. Many more doors are openned to non-believers when they know that you care about them AND are a real person.

As for her friends, shame on them for trying to turn her and others blessings into a curse? I would ask them to please show me where in the Bible does it state that we are only supposed to talk to others about Jesus? I mean really, how in the world would ANYTHING get done in this world if people just sat around and talked about Jesus, AND didn't pick up the plow. Have them read Proverbs.

I think that if someone doesn't share the blessings that the Lord has given us, they would be pretty close to being in sin. The blessings that the Lord gives are usually not to be kept to oneself. The dish that your friend prepared sounds like it could be a blessing to others. Her kids sound like it could be a blessing to others.

So in closing, I would say tell your friend to listen to her friends and give it to prayer, but unless the Lord convicts her and tells her to stop, she should keep being a blessing to those on these other sites.

2010/4/11 12:02Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
I would ask them to please show me where in the Bible does it state that we are only supposed to talk to others about Jesus?

I shared your response with my friend(her name is Janie) she said that she was told that what she is writing and doing would be considered idle words and is talked about in the Bible as being sin. I personally always thought that idle words were the same as gossip? Not talking about your family and sharing recipes? According to the definition they are giving words that are spoken that do not further the kingdom of God are to be considered idle?

God Bless
mj

2010/4/11 18:45Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

I agree with Miccah. It is awful that her friends have made her feel so negative about something she is enjoying doing.
I use Facebook and am in contact with Christian and non christians - such as work colleagues. We love sharing photos and private chats about things we are going through in life.
Everyone knows I'm a christian but I have never 'bible bashed' or brow beaten anyone. Push too hard with people and you can push them away.
My brother quotes a favourite preacher of his - I think it might be Tozer, who said something along the lines of 'always be ready to preach and if necessary use words!'
Our life may be the only 'Bible' that people will read so what is important is how we live everyday life!
Should the occasion arise I will share a point of view on issues and answer questions and then leave the ball in their court, at the end of the day it is their personal decision. We are called to sow the seeds - but it is God that works on the heart and gives the increase.
Tell your friend to keep it up, don't be brow beaten by the opinions of others - you will never ever please everyone! You enjoy it and are doing absolutely nothing wrong.
It is an outlet which can then lead to opportunities to share a testimony, as and when God does something in her life she can share with others about.

2010/4/11 18:47Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

Re:

MaryJane, I agree with you here - Idle words are words of gossip and also 'busybodying' in people's lives - which ironically is what her friends are doing here!
There is something very wrong here if sharing recipes and stories about family & children is considered 'idle words' and a 'sin'! No! No! No! - that is too far!!
I consider their attitude towards your friend to be oppressive, bullying and 'busybodying' in her life!
I strongly advise her to rise above it and take no notice of their 'idle' words!
Live life and enjoy it - it is a gift from God!

2010/4/11 19:04Profile
longsuffer

canada. SK.

Hi MaryJane.
Just thought about a saying that goes
Don’t be so heavenly minded that your
No earthly good. Me personal I don’t think
She should close the whole thing down because
I like to get Ideas that way it’s a good way of sharing
Recipes and other good Ideas .She should just be herself.
and keep at it by all means.that's my opinion.
Longsuffer

2010/4/11 20:15Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

If idle words are any words spoken that do not further the Kingdom, then we would all have to stop the following few examples that is not considered Kingdom talk/actions:

--Do not attend a sporting event, albeit your children's event, amateur or pro.
--Do not ask someone how there day is, unless we are ready to give a biblical response back on how to live a Godly life in that day.
--Do not talk about non-work related items at work to anyone under any circumstance. You would not be giving 100% at work and thus sinning.
--At the grocery store, do not ask an employee their opinion about which ingrediant is best to use in a dish.
--Do not talk on the phone, or immediately hang up if the conversation is not about Jesus.
--Yard work? Cutting/watering the grass?

There are so many examples of things that are not Kingdom work, but are everyday functions.

Also, how would her friends interpret this verse?

[b]2 Timothy 4:2[/b]

Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

What is their definition of in season and out of season?

2010/4/11 20:21Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Thank you for the replies. I will be sharing them with Janie. I think it will be encouraging to her to keep sharing as she feels the Lord leading her to.

I think for her she especially enjoys keeping in touch with her family that are out of state.

God Bless
mj

2010/4/11 21:18Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

MaryJane, maybe Janie needs to find new friends?

ginnyrose

2010/4/11 23:36Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings ginnyrose

I am not sure that they are friends. Janie said
that they were ladies from her church fellowship.

EDITED: I talked with Janie again and she said that these ladies are people that she fellowships with from her church. It is rather a strict group that she is meeting with she said, they do have lots of accountability to one another. After talking with her some more I think that the questions that they were having with her blog had more to do with her posting about movies she had seen and some non christian books she has been reading. She also said that they were concerned with the way she was posting about so many worldly things, like clothing styles, hair styles, and things like that. One post in particular she did go on about the dresses she bought her two little girls for Easter. Janie said that two of the ladies were concerned for her because of the influence that some of the "friends" she was meeting may be having over her. I told her that nothing stood out at me as being sinful, but if she feels that these ladies are in authority over her because of their fellowship that she should pray about what they have shared with her. I believe if she is in sin the Lord will show her. I do think there is room to question the amount of time that she(we) spend on the internet whether its on a blog, or a game, or even SI. I agree with what all of you here have shared to though that having a blog and sharing your life )done with Godly wisdom) can be a really great witnessing tool to others.

God bless
mj

2010/4/12 1:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy