Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Desperate Need for Power

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MJones

Missouri

The Desperate Need for Power

There are two stories in Luke 8, that in spite of trying to move on from, more and more application keeps bringing me back. The stories . . . the demon possessed man and the woman with the issue of blood.

In both stories, each had been in their situations for a long time, and neither they nor anyone else had been able to bring about the help or change that was needed.

Luke points out that the demon possessed man was ‘driven by the demon into solitary places’. I thought it was interesting after he had pointed out several times before that Jesus often withdrew to solitary places to pray. It occurred to me that God draws us to solitary places for our strength while Satan drives us into them for our destruction.

In regard to the woman with the issue of blood, Luke points out that the crowds were pressing against Jesus so much that they were about to ‘crush him’; which would mean they were touching Him. But when she touched Him, power went out from Him. I have been wrestling with this question for weeks, ‘Is my pressing through to touch Him causing power to go out from Him’?

There are things in each of our lives that neither we nor anyone else has been able to change. Whether with ourselves personally, our spouse, or a family member or friend, there are some things that only He can change. The question I keep asking myself is this, ‘Should I not be pressing through to bring about that change?’, and if I am not, ‘Am I just part of the crowd?’

Have we sold the Lord short in what He is able to do? Have we come to believe that He no longer intends to exorcise His power? In the absence of this power, has the church fallen back on reform and put Christianity’s stamp on it? Isn’t that still just reform?

Jesus did not work with the demon possessed man for 3 years; He healed him. Immediately he was in his right mind. He didn’t tell the woman with the issue of blood which doctor to go see; He healed her.

I have lately been continually reminded of situation after situation that is helpless without the touch of God’s power. I am challenged by these 2 stories and motivated by the one’s before me to become one through which His power can flow.

2010/4/7 8:28Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The Desperate Need for Power

Whilst there is nothing wrong with wanting God's power, there was a scripture that came to mind whilst reading this.

Luke 15v7, "I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance."

God's power can flow through us, but God is also a jealous God.

We should want Him more than His power, which on doubt you want and realise. But don't mistake the gifts for the Giver.

Also, as we know, Jesus tells us in Matthew 7 concerning those who prophesied, cast out demons and did wonders in His name, yet He said He never knew them.

But God does know the thoughts and intents of the heart, so we know we can't pull the wool over His eyes.

Take care.

2010/4/7 9:02Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Quote:
I have lately been continually reminded of situation after situation that is helpless without the touch of God’s power.

Amen. I pray much about this. We are in deep need of "the horn of salvation," the strength, the power of salvation. Not just in word but in power. The kingdom of God-- the manifestation of the Throne of God and of Christ-- is not in word but in power.

Those two passages from Luke 8 are very convicting.

2010/4/7 10:27Profile
MJones

Missouri

In my pursuit of God, I am seeing the role power played in the early church. In my 5 years of 'extreme makeover', I am taking a fresh look at many things I used to just blow by. In these 5 years, I have wrestled many things out with God and in each case there is always something that stirs in me an unrest - something that doesn't make sense - something that doesn't add up. This issue of power, or the lack of it, is another one of those wrestling issues that I am in the middle of. I didn't intiate it, but it is there and I can't leave it until I am at peace with it.

I didn't go looking for this, but Luke 9:1,2 is there. I am not a fanatic but it says what it says. How do I interpret it? What does it mean to me today? What does it mean to the all of us today? Is it extreme thinking or does it just seem extreme because it is so far away from the norm of today?

Here's the verse. If it interest you to comment, if you have had similar thoughts and wrestled them out ahead of me, I would appreciate hearing your conclusions. Four things are mentioned there, but for the most part (understanding that there may be some exceptions) we only do one of them today.

Luke 9:1-3
1 When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2 and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
NIV

2010/4/11 10:45Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

It is true, that most Christians recoil at the very idea of driving out demons and curing diseases. Probably, and partly, because of the abuse of this ministry at the hands of those known as 'faith healers', not to mention cessationist.

However, the scripture does say what it says, irrespective of our beliefs or bias.

Sadly, with 'christianity' being what it is today, it is almost as though we have to start from scratch, to walk before we can run, as it were.

That which God can do through us, will not be, until we are what God would have us to be.

Our strong attachment to this world does hinder the work of God.

It does.

And, do we have conviction about that? Little, if any.

But brother, do seek God concerning this. It is not on your heart for nothing.

God bless.

2010/4/12 8:11Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Quote:
In my pursuit of God, I am seeing the role power played in the early church. In my 5 years of 'extreme makeover', I am taking a fresh look at many things I used to just blow by. In these 5 years, I have wrestled many things out with God and in each case there is always something that stirs in me an unrest - something that doesn't make sense - something that doesn't add up. This issue of power, or the lack of it, is another one of those wrestling issues that I am in the middle of. I didn't intiate it, but it is there and I can't leave it until I am at peace with it.

I hate to sound redundant but again my testimony is the same. At the beginning of my walk with the Lord I was powerfully baptised with the Holy Spirit three days after weeping buckets full of repentant tears over my lost condition. For several months afterwards the power of God rested upon me, just about everybody I witnessed to got saved. Well this early fire disapated over the years, now 33 of them, and I have been on a quest to find out why, what is missing, I know I am Spirit filled. I have prayerfully sought God and in just the last several months I believe I finally have my answer. He used 2 mens books. "The Cost of Discipleship" by Deitrich Bonhoeffer and all of George Warnocks books, but especially the latter.

You see there can be no power without the cross in our lives. We really don't live a crucified life, you know the sermon on the mount. We don't walk as He walked, so we don't walk in the same degree of power. We are called to do greater works than He did because of sheer numbers of Holy Ghost filled people.

I am just coming out the other side. I know that we can walk in this anointing all our days, but we haven't walked a crucified life all our days. It is time to return to taking the lowest place and humbling ourselves under His might hand that He might receive all the glory

You can read George Warnock's books free online atL\:[url=http://www.georgewarnock.com/index.html]George Warnock Books[/url]And I am sure you can find a link to read Bonhoeffer's book as well.

I started reading at the top of Warnock's list so it would build on each other, which it did. I have so much hope restored to me at this time. I am rejoicing in the fact God can still teach me after all these years. Hallelujah.

2010/4/12 15:02Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

I believe I too am just beginning to come out on the other side and believe also that He has not lead me for nothing. And speaking of fizzeling, I did much of that in my first 30 years. This time around He is making it more difficult to come by. One is not as likely to fizzle when they have had to fight and claw there way out of a hole. And in light of how much I have fought and clawed, I sure don't want to stop short. Before, I was not settled enough in my beliefs and was easily stopped. It is different this time around.

I visited a church from yesteryear this morning. They sang a song I hadn't heard for a long time. 'I will not be denied' Cool to hear again.

Thanks for each of your comments.

2010/4/18 21:50Profile
Theophila

Re:

God bless you for starting this thread.
I too have been made painfully aware of my lack of His power.
For example, a lady came into our service a few months ago who was being tormented by the devil.
It was obvious to me that i didn't have what it took to bring her to a place of freedom the way the Scriptures in the OP describe. I don't think i will ever forget it.

Mercifully, the Lord is leading me to higher ground and may it please Him, my testimony will be different.

2010/4/18 22:12Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
Four things are mentioned there, but for the most part (understanding that there may be some exceptions) we only do one of them today.

Luke 9:1-3

MJones, I think the one you say we are doing today is preaching the kingdom of God.

But in view of the fact we have so little of the other three you have to wonder to what extent we are even preaching the kingdom of God.

"For the kingdom of God is not in word but in power" (1 Cor. 4.20)

To merely preach ABOUT the kingdom of God is not the Gospel of the Kingdom. The true Gospel of the Kingdom, the true preaching of the Kingdom of God, is the actual going forth of, and manifestation of, the Kingdom of God. In POWER. How much of that do we have?

2010/4/18 23:34Profile
jimp

hi, 2 cases where no faith is involved .the lady with the issue of blood had spent every dime she had on doctors and if you gave her another 100 she probably would have been at that new clinic...she was desparate as was the demoniac.Jesus answers the call of desparate people.my question to the youth of today is...if you see someone in a desparate or even demonic situation why not be moved with compassion and pray boldly for that person and put your relationship with Jesus to a pubic test..He will move on the situation with power SOMETIME...more than if you dont act at all and complain about the weak church... if He moved often in this way in your life it would destroy you and you would be on TV with YOUR world wide ministry.jimp

2010/4/19 4:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy