SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : AM I truly savd

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
justified

AM I truly savd

The last couple of months I have been looking at alot of sermons on examining yourself to see that you are in the faith, and true and false conversions, and I am still so confused. I don't know if I have ever been saved. I though that I was but I guess I didn't have the fruits. I have always wondered why I did not have the passion for God like everyone else, I mean, I wanted to so badly to live a life that was pleasing to him. I found my self struggling with the same sins over and over again. So a few nights ago I prayed and cried and asked God to forgive me and change my heart. I want to so bad Love him and for him to change my heart. I hear so many testimonies of people that say when they repented that they felt like a new person inside and that is the work of the Holy Spirit. Well, I didn't feel anything or notice a difference in me. So do I just keep asking God to forgive me and change me. Do I wait on the feeling of a weight being lifted off of me, or do I just by faith belive that God has changed me? I will appreciate any comments. Thanks

2010/4/3 18:24Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: AM I truly savd

Dear Friend,
Welcome here on SI. God has put a spotlight on your soul. Keep on asking, keep on searching until God has revealed to you the reality of your life and His son. Do not fall short or be satisfied until you posses the truth you have heard.
This may or not be accompanied by overwhelming feelings, but do not allow false comfort from man distract you from your path until He has infused truth and life into you.

I am praying for you.

2010/4/3 18:34Profile
poet

Longview WA

In the book of acts chapter 2,
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do ?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off *, even as many as the Lord our God shall call *.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Not everybody has a feeling or super great story to tell about thier experience.

But if we repent, which means change our minds about our way of thinking towards God and are willing to live our lives into submission to His will, then we are saved.
No we are never in total perfect obedience to Christ.
No one is perfect, but we must always be in the posture of submission and confession to our failings and always ready to make changes where we can, if the lord is convicting us of something in our lives He is faithful to empower us to overcome those things if we are truly in submission to Him.
I have things that tempt me, and they are truly hard to overcome because I love that thing that which tempts me, I should hate what tempts me so that I can more easily overcome it.
The Lord is faithful to me by continually convicting me and dealing with me on this area to overcome it.
The Lord helped the israelites overcome Jericho, but after Jericho, they had to take the other citys by force and the Lord was always their to help them and give them strength to overcome the advisary. It was only willful disobedience that caused their destruction.
Keep praying and get with some solid believers and talk it out, and pray it through.
Wait on the Lord and you will see over time, months or a year, you can look back and see how you have grown in the Lord.
If you were not the Lord's, you wouldnt probably be feeling this way, so be prayerfull and seek Him.
God bless.

2010/4/3 18:48Profile
justified

Re:

Thank you, I have had feeling of refreshing before after I have prayed and repented but I don't think that I was saved back then. i am very confused.

2010/4/3 18:52Profile
justified

Re:

Thanks Poet, That's kinda what I was struggling with. I was listening to this video of a guy talking about examining your fruits and he was, in a round about way, saying that you will have a passion to do the will of God and if you don't then you need to examine yourself and I was wondering then where does dying to self come in. For example I might now always feel like getting up and reading my bible but does that mean I am not a christian? Wouldn't that be the time to beat my flesh into subjection and do it anyway even though I don't feel like it. I just pray that God will help me with this. I have been struggling so much on this issue for about 6 months and have had so many sleepless nights over it.

2010/4/3 20:16Profile

Re:

You know we use that word "saved" like tissue paper. Every day we are saved.

"He that endures to the end shall be saved".

We must continue with Him every day, salvation comes everyday when we cry out to Him. Initially He saves, but there is so much more deliverance's that need to come our way as well.

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord continually delivers us".

Your being afflicted by doubts, but when we cry out to the Lord, He hears us and comforts our unstable souls.

There is no formula of salvation, each person here will tell you how they came to find the Lord Jesus, and each one is truly saved by the blood of Jesus Christ.

I liked what Poet said in his post, just reading that blessed me. So your not alone in needing a blessing. We all benefit from one another and he is right in saying that we should be in a place with other believers and to express our concerns. But most importantly open your mouth to the Lord and tell him your pain and how you feel about this whole thing.

Fruit takes time to develop. Fruit is not a product of your own doing, the fruit that develops in you is of the Holy Spirit. All these virtues will come out of you when your not aware of it. No one here can conjure up love as if it was some law that we have to practice each day. Stay close to Jesus and talk to Him, push away all distractions, and get alone with Him.

Put the bible in your bathroom and read it there. Carry a pocket New Testament with you, you never know when your somewhere that you need to read a passage. Sometimes it's hard to read the bible. Remember the early Church didn't have a bible, they were living it out. Not everyone had a copy of the Old Testament usually they had to go to the Temple to hear it being read. So if you have a hard time reading it, your library should have a bible on cassette or cd and you can listen to it.

Or you can listen to it online.[url=http://www.google.ca/search?q=listen+to+the+bible+online&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]Google Search Results[/url]

2010/4/3 22:09
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Snufalapagus is right...and some of us, like me, will tell you that they have no idea when they even "got saved." For me this has been somewhat confusing, though I have had moments of spiritual lucidity at times...the fundamental comfort comes like he said...get in the Word, study it relentlessly. Pray as you do, study it on your knees and ask the Spirit to guide you in all truth. Sometimes men can confuse you. I too am praying for you. I honestly wish more people spoke as you do than many who are gallivanting on the wide road thinking they are on the narrow path.

2010/4/4 1:54Profile

@justified.

I hear you justified. All of us go through the same confusion (you are not alone here!)because salvation is not so clearly defined in the bible. I wish there was a step by step guide but there isn't.

And if you're listening to sermons by Paul Washer (The Assurance of Salvation where he goes over 1 John), you are going to walk away more times then not thinking you aren't saved when you might be. It's great for a backslider but it might be confusing to a guy who is trying his best for Jesus. I say take everything with a grain of salt. You have to hear both sides of the story. You have to learn about Grace. Listen to both types of sermons and go from there. Because if you listen to only one side of the story, either you will be too lax or too condeming on yourself. Neither is good.

These last couple of months, I've been listening to sermons, reading the word, reading like crazy trying to figure out the answer, just like you. A once and for all answer but I don't think it works that way. I don't think I'll ever find something so definitive.

I think we're beating up on ourselves way too much. I can already tell you are serious about this and that your HEART is in the right place, which should be the most important indicator. You should test your salvation but maybe we're going overboard.

What just hit me is the fact that if

1.God desires that none of us perish.
2.He sent His own Son to die for our sins.
3.He loves us.

I was approaching this as if God wanted to send us to hell. And alot of times that's how we approach it. I'm pretty sure God doesn't want us to go to hell.

I think the doubts hits when the common sins, especially of lust just won't go away. This is really in the grey area also.

I would take those testimonies with a grain of salt. I think more often than not, becoming a christian doesn't involve Saul/Paul like encounters and sins don't disappear overnight. A lot of conversions are rather boring it seems.

I don't have the complete answer but keep searching earnestly. just don't kill yourself doing it.

Trust me, if God really wanted us to go to hell, we would already be there. He would not have sacrificed Jesus.

2010/4/4 3:33

Hi justified

You won't know if you are saved through going by your feelings as we go through darkness at times but you will know by listening to what the Holy Spirit is saying to your spirit and if you think He is saying to you deep inside that you are not saved then listen to Him and not to others. If you are listening to Him then you are in a position of being led by Him to wherever His taking you. You are only in danger if you stop listening to Him and that could be through thinking you are saved when you are not because of the false assurance that others give.

2010/4/4 3:35
sleepless

Re:

Rom 3:21-24 But now …. righteousness of God has been manifested, …even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; …are justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;

Rom 5:1 Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

First: the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ is manifested for all those that put their thrust in Christ’s redemption. I am justified.

Secondly: because I am justified I have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. I am saved I am not anymore under the wrath of God.

This is the first step and the foundation of God ‘s gift by His grace I am at peace with God no more condemnation.
Now the word of God speak of a “complete” salvation as we grow to the knowledge of Him whom we trusted and are changed according to His image, but the foundation is the same it starts and end with peace with God because what Jesus had done for me.
The Spirit of God does not bring condemnation but conviction.

2010/4/4 7:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy