SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : prayer for our brother, John Piper

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
steffie

prayer for our brother, John Piper

This is my first post.

I feel deeply convicted to ask prayer for and to pray for John Piper.

Please pray diligently for him, his family, and his ministry.

Discernment. Pray he will seek discernment.

May his leave be productive for Christ in a magnificent way, in that he will clearly see the enemy and take a stand.

2010/3/31 7:27Profile

Re: prayer for our brother, John Piper

what's going on?

2010/4/14 8:31

Re: Quote from John Piper @ 8 month sabbatical...

For your interest:

The following is an excerpt of the written explanation that Dr. Piper has given for wanting this “breakaway” from his ministerial duties:

"I asked the elders to consider this leave because of a growing sense that my soul, my marriage, my family, and my ministry-pattern need a reality check from the Holy Spirit. On the one hand, I love my Lord, my wife, my five children and their families first and foremost; and I love my work of preaching and writing and leading Bethlehem. I hope the Lord gives me at least five more years as the pastor for preaching and vision at Bethlehem.

But on the other hand, I see several species of pride in my soul that, while they may not rise to the level of disqualifying me for ministry, grieve me, and have taken a toll on my relationship with Noël and others who are dear to me. How do I apologize to you, not for a specific deed, but for ongoing character flaws, and their effects on everybody? I’ll say it now, and no doubt will say it again, I’m sorry. Since I don’t have just one deed to point to, I simply ask for a spirit of forgiveness; and I give you as much assurance as I can that I am not making peace, but war, with my own sins.

Noël and I are rock solid in our commitment to each other, and there is no whiff of unfaithfulness on either side. But, as I told the elders, “rock solid” is not always an emotionally satisfying metaphor, especially to a woman. A rock is not the best image of a woman’s tender companion. In other words, the precious garden of my home needs tending. I want to say to Noël that she is precious to me in a way that, at this point in our 41-year pilgrimage, can be said best by stepping back for a season from virtually all public commitments."

J. Piper

2010/4/14 9:41
elanham

Maryland

Re:

Now that’s what I’m talking about. A man who has a significant ministerial platform recognizes that there is something profoundly wrong with his life situation and instead of continuing on in ministry like no nothing is wrong, he makes a decision to do what some would call embarrassing. He steps away. How many marriages and families would have been preserved if the husband was not so caught up in preserving the image of his ministry?

I am reminded of a famous international preacher whose marriage is in serious trouble who said, "I am not going to stop doing what I am doing. I don’t care what happens. I am going to preach the gospel." This is a sad testimony of a man who thinks it’s his God given job to evangelize the world even if his marriage is destroyed because of it. He can’t afford to have the worldwide machine of his ministry to suffer from a season of personal reflection and inactivity. This is a defiled view of the great commission.

May more of Gods servants take time to, "...come ye into the desert and rest a while" So that the relationships that are vital can be nurtured and sustained by Gods life that comes out of rest.

2010/4/14 11:28Profile
Santana

Re:

But does Piper stop ministering? If he goes to the mall and sits on a bench next to a man, does he not preach the gospel? I understand stepping down from the pulpit but aren't we to minister all the time.

When do you walk away from a ministry?

2010/4/14 13:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy