SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : John Piper to Feature Rick Warren at 2010 Desiring God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lawevangelis

Justin, TX

Re:

savannah,

Do you pray for unsaved friends? If you are right that Warren is a false prophet, that means he is unsaved. Can false prophets be saved? How about people who follow them? Yet 2 Tim. 3:13 makes it clear that "evil men" are deceived by impostors. Many of us here would admit that we were once deceived and did not always know the truth. Some, like me, used to preach a false gospel, but God was gracious and gave life anyway.

I am poking fun at myself as much as anyone else with the Calvinism\prayer issue because I am a Calvinist. Five point. And I can make that claim because I have heard Calvinists talk about prayer and seen how little many of them do pray.

I don't see manipulation in my words. If you do, then you've misjudged my motivation. I'm trying to get people who see themselves as the final arbiters of what is right and wrong in the light of the double standard they place themselves under. Unsaved friends: pray for them. People I have never met and probably never will: flame them on a message board and never say a single prayer for their everlasting soul. I have done it before. I repent.

I see a hopeful situation here. Warren is reading books that are loaded with as much gospel as can be had in the best of churches today. What if people prayed for Warren rather than spent their time venting their opinions?

Scriptural proofs? 2 Cor. 13:9-10. The Apostle Paul prayed for a heretical church even while writing a letter to them to correct their errors. He prayed that they would be made complete. Seems like a good prayer for Rick Warren.

What's happening on the internet is a bunch of Christians writing public diatribes for everyone to see rather than going to the source of the issue with their concerns first (which is the Biblical way). In the meantime, there's plenty of Scriptural evidence for them to be concerned over doctrine, but some of it ignores context.

BTW, Titus 3:10-11 is in the context of a local church. Titus was a church leader getting direction from the Apostle Paul on how to deal with divisive people within the flock. You can be sure that Titus went to those individuals and rebuked them. I doubt that he issued a public encyclical for everyone in Asia Minor to read.

So, savannah, will you pray for Rick Warren?

2010/4/1 8:54Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I think this could be really interesting. To hear seemingly two very different types of preachers talk about their ministries and why they do what they do could be very enlightening.

With care in Christ...

2010/4/1 8:58Profile
wind_blows

Re:

I listened to what John Piper had to say about inviting Rick Warren to speak and I just not sure what to think about it honestly. On the one had he admits he does not like some of Warren teaching but yet he is going to give him a forum to speak to a whole bunch of people?? Not sure but that just bothers me. I will of course pray for Rick Warren and John Piper. I was also thinking that such a big deal was place on the fact that Rick was reading Jonathan Edwards and that was suppose to mean something significant and yet Rick has studied the Bible for all these years and still "teaches" what he does? Shouldn't the Bible have been the bigger impact of the two on Mr. Warren life?? Shouldn't it have impacted his teaching... I mean what is reading Edwards going to change????

Don't know just my thoughts
in Him
ellie

2010/4/1 11:39Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

I agree with you wind_blow.

If Piper really wants to minister to Warren then he should meet with him one on one. Instead Warren has been given a platform to speak and spread his lies. BIG DEAL. Who's gaurding the sheep from false teachings?! Many weak sheep might just think that what Warren believes is not so bad. And who knows, Piper thinks this conference might influence Warren. Did he ever think that Warren just might influence the people.

If Piper really wants to win Warren the safest way would of been to meet one on one not at a conference! What is really the root of all this? why so much attention wanted? Piper has a responsibility to protect the sheep from false hood.

I could not imagine Paul the Apostle doing something like this. Paul curse the person who was influencing the galtians to be back under law and thru the influence of a false teacher the Galatians fallen from grace and forgotten the true teachings of grace. Just imagine what the teachings of pragmatism could do.

You know Warren is ecumenical and their is a heavy ecumentical spirit upon religion, upon the world. Do not be deceived, but gaurd yourself.

2010/4/1 12:03Profile

Re:

Folks,

I'm not sure if you realize this, but Rick Warren is, theologically, just about in line with most of the preachers featured on this website. He might not use the same lingo as some of these guys. It might not be as "firey" (if that's a word). Go ahead and read Purpose Driven life...its all about living the Gospel. How is that any different than what is usually featured on this website?

2010/4/1 12:45
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

There is a video here on why he invited rick warren he just made:
[url=http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/2323_more_details_about_our_national_conference/]http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/2323_more_details_about_our_national_conference/[/url]

and here on youtube:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlxRKLXk1WE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlxRKLXk1WE[/url]

2010/4/1 12:50Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Mahoney, do not be deceived.

His book might sound good, but he does not believe the gospel. His book seem like a deceptive tool to get more people. And once their hooked into him he starts going deeper into his ecumenical/antibiblical teachings with them..

His belief is pretty open and exposed. Do a search on him.

Do not compare him to the preachers on this site. You will not find the preachers on S.I. having antichrist quotes like Warren.

Warren works very close with the U.N. in spreading ecumenical teachings. He believe's that people have some measure of goodness and that Christ fills up the rest! He does not see men as depraved. He doesn't believe that those who haven't heard the gospel will to hell for their sins (he says he's not sure what happens to them despite what the bible teaches). There is so much more, but I'll let you do the search to find out the rest. Do you understand the teachings of pragmetism that he believes that is unbiblical? Please do a search on him. He doesn't hide his belief. He is very open in his unbiblical beliefs. He is so open with his false lies it amazes me that Christians do not see it.

God bless you, brother.

2010/4/1 13:02Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Few things, he says that Warren does not speak about repentance as often as some but he believes it. how can you share Jesus with others with out talking to them about their sin?? Purpose Driven life does not talk on sin and repentance it speaks to the love of God but not the need to repent and turn from sin. I have to say that I agree with one of the posters already said, if John Piper feels he has to defend this decision so much then maybe there is an issues? I am not saying that we should not pray for both these men, I do believe we should but there are some real issues for me in all of this?? I do think it matter who we "hang out with"
I hope Rick Warren sees the error of some of his water downed teaching and the harm it has caused to so many(including my family members) that is my prayer...

again these are just my thoughts
in Him

edit: I had to fix a typing mistake.

2010/4/1 13:11Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Warren will even share that he believes in repentance and other biblical things that many pastors want to hear, but please match him up with other things he has shared too!

I'm not saying to not pray and believe salvation for this man. Yes, do this. But, please be watchful! Use discernment. He is very known for his persusive speech. He is definetly a great speaker and great at winning many by his speech. He knows how to talk to all different types of group and making them think that he's for each one of them (ecumenical spirit).

Please be watchful and prayerful at the same time.

God Bless

2010/4/1 13:24Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

So far, there has been a lot of talk about what Warren supposedly teaches and doesn't teach without any substance to back it up.

I have heard Warren preach about repentance and faith in Christ, so that ruins that argument.

But above all, prove his errors by Scripture alone, that is the measuring stick. I don't care about supposed 'one world' nonsense or who he is or is not affiliated with, show me and show the world that he is wrong from Scripture, not hot air or pundits who seek to tear apart more than mend wounds.

As Mahoney so correctly pointed out, Warren may not preach in the same style as the 'popular' guys on this site, but he says the same things. I know that is a hard pill to swallow for most. But here is an even HARDER pill to swallow; Rick Warren is a brother in Christ.

Flame away, say all the derogatory things you wish, call me deluded and falling for the Babylonian religion, but that doesn't change the fact that through repentance and faith in Christ, Warren is a brother, and as such, I will hope the best and trust that God has a plan in this that our stupid narrow-sighted vision cannot comprehend.

2010/4/1 14:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy