SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The disciples lack of understanding concerning the Resurrection

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
live4jc

The disciples lack of understanding concerning the Resurrection

We had an interesting sermon on Sunday. The pastor who spoke was a visiting pastor, and the focus of his sermon was the Resurrection. He first brought up the point that whenever Christ had foretold his own death in the gospels, he also talked about his resurrection, at the same time. Then he explained that while unbelievers had 'no trouble' understanding that Christ had been foretelling his own death and resurrection, Christ's disciples were absolutely 'mystified' by it.

He then dispelled the notion that the disciples lack of understanding about the resurrection was tied to their bias against the possibility that their leader could ever be killed (ie They had looked to him as a conquering victor, who would deliver them from their oppressors, so therefore discounted anything that ran counter-current to this promising outcome ) The pastor argued that the wording of the scriptures pointed in a different direction- that God himself had blinded the eyes of the disciples to the truth of the Resurrection.

For example, in Luke 9:45 it says :

"But they did not understand this statement, and it was concealed from them so that they would not perceive it; and they were afraid to ask Him about this statement."

Next, the pastor asked the very bewildering question, 'Why?' Why had God done this ? His answer was one that I hadn't anticipated- but it made sense. God had prevented the disciples from understanding that Jesus was speaking of his death and resurrection, in order to preserve the integrity of the gospels- especially in connection with the accounts of the Resurrection. If the disciples had anticipated Christ's resurrection, then they might have been hanging around his tomb, which might have given people more reason to question whether the Resurrection had occurred. As it was, the disciples where nowhere to be seen. So while people could 'speculate' as to what might have happened, since no 'body' was ever produced, and no obvious, legitimate link could be forged between the missing body and the activities of the disciples, the possibility that Christ had, in fact, risen from the dead, was given greater credence.

In addition to this thought provoking point, the pastor also brought home a much wider application to his sermon in the way of, 'how this topic relates to us as individual believers'. He explained how just as the disciples and others, were completely dependent upon the illumination of the Holy Spirit, in their comprehension of the Resurrection, so too are we, in our understanding of all the Scriptures. So we should study the Scriptures, yes, but we should also pray to God, for a better understanding of them, since they are 'spiritually discerned'.

In Jesus,
John

2010/3/29 19:15Profile

Re: The disciples lack of understanding concerning the Resurrection

>just as the disciples and others, were completely dependent upon the illumination of the Holy Spirit, in their comprehension of the Resurrection, so too are we, in our understanding of all the Scriptures. So we should study the Scriptures, yes, but we should also pray to God, for a better understanding of them, since they are 'spiritually discerned'.

In Jesus,
John

----------------------------------------------------

Ephesians 1:
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation inc the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places...

Phillipians 3:
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Phil. 3:13
Though unable to speak for anyone except he who types, i do not understand the resurrection as i should. God has been infinitely patient and kind in spite of all the mistakes, failures, and outright rational conscious choices to satisfy this carcass rather than my Father.

PRAISE HIM FOR HIS TENDER MERCIES!

What is known is, as this walk continues in His spirit, in His resurrected life, through communion in the same, revelation comes. It is by the very act of denial of everything which seems so sensible towards understanding and walking into Messiah Jesus' direction, by living in this, abundant life is experienced. This includes revelation into His own knowledge and wisdom.

PRAISE HIM FOR HIS CARE FOR US!

Many are the times a fellow brother or sister comes for answers to things unknown. If our Lord does not direct me to direct them to Him, he asks me if i am ready to go through the life experiences needful for the truth he will give to become a living reality in my here-and-now.
Rom. 8:35
Sometimes with hesitation, but always "YES, LORD!", he teaches how to live it out...not without trials.
Rom. 8:37

PRAISE HIM FOR HIS GUIDANCE!

Many times, the answers are beyond the understanding here, and often, He draws the questioner, myself, and other believers into fellowship to suit His purposes in the revelation. He is just so amazing beyond words.(We all need each other.)

PRAISE HIM FOR HIS UNDERSTANDING!

Everyone reading this is commended to quite anyalizing the scriptures and just walk in them. Until i switched from trying to understand so that i might possibly come to believe, to just trusting obiedience INTO HIS understanding, well over 20 years of wasted efforts -(in the flesh)- could have been avoided.

PRAISE GOD! He not only trains us into understanding through obedience ...but HE RESTORES THE YEARS THE LOCUST HAVE EATEN threefold and more.

In trembling fear before Him we have to do, it's understood that greater condemnation comes to those who have been shown what most are blind and deaf to. When i sin, it is against truth and light, but they sin in ignorance. We shall recieve the greater judgement. A perpetual prayer is that i do not hold the great truth in Him and the dynamically mighty force of His powerful salvation in error.

Jesus Christ died so that each and every one of us can come into a full knowledge of Him. DO NOT take this as just a glib quote! God loves every human being just like he loves himself.

You may wonder, how can he say that?

welll ...

Did he give His life for ours or not?
Rom. 5:8

The scriptures are the will of God. His testimony to us. They are to bring us to Him and not just to talk about Him. Let God be in us always more than pages in a book.

I Corintians 1:
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? ...
...23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

*singing quietly*
trust and obey
for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus
but to trust and obey.

The love of God goes out through this clay pot to all of you! Prayers go before the throne of our God for all believers who make their way here.

May those who call Him Lord, yet, he says He does not know, come into this covenant friendship with He who made us all.
May He recieve you as His own.

Pray for our moderator.

Because of Golgatha,

Gregg
Rom. 8:38

2010/3/30 19:58
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

"Blessed are they who do not see...but believe."

When we trust the resurrection power of Christ in the same way that death had no dominion over him, sin too has no dominion over us. Then we will also be witnesses of his resurrection in a blessed way. We do not need to see the open tomb, nor do we need to place our fingers in His wounds. We only need to confess him Lord, and believe in our hearts that God raised him from the dead.

We preach often the cross as we ought. But the apostles preached often the resurrection. Look at every evangelistic sermon preached in the book of Acts...I was shocked to discover how much the empty tomb was preached.

I too have been often in meditation over the last 12 or so verses in Ephesians 1. Herein lies a passage we ought deeply consider and be praying for.

If we think of the resurrection only as history...and an occurrence, we have completely failed in apprehending the gospel. The resurrection is THE POWER to crush sin's wretched stranglehold on all of us.

Take up the cross, march toward death...death to self, and in so doing the resurrection power of Christ will burst forth as torrents of LIVING water. We fail to comprehend the power of God when we think that we need to become more like Christ, through effort and externalization. What we need is DEATH to us, and the life of Christ flowing out of us because of that death.

O I pray that preachers this weekend would place the right emphasis on the resurrection and stop trying to come up with novel soulish and petty ways of trying to impress people with how unique of an Easter sermon they can preach. May they preach this power...this life...this water...this great and exalted above all hopes we have. DEATH WHERE IS THY STING???

2010/3/30 20:15Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Quote:
O I pray that preachers this weekend would place the right emphasis on the resurrection and stop trying to come up with novel soulish and petty ways of trying to impress people with how unique of an Easter sermon they can preach. May they preach this power...this life...this water...this great and exalted above all hopes we have. DEATH WHERE IS THY STING???

Sorry, this was in no way a response to Live4JC's original thought. This was my own experience, where I have often seen preachers try to come up with a novel idea about the resurrection and not ever even explain what it meant. I realize that it looks like I am referring to the post, but I was not meaning that, I apologize if I came across that way.

For the record, I completely agree with this post. The Holy Spirit is the one who guides us in all truth. We ought to trust Him to open our eyes, I have often thought along this same line. Thank you for this post Live4JC.

-In Christ

Jeremiah.

2010/4/5 0:04Profile
live4jc

Re:

Thanks a bunch for your email, Jeremiah ! I appreciate what you've written in this thread. So true.

God's rich blessings :)

In Jesus,
John

2010/4/5 1:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
Why had God done this ? His answer was one that I hadn't anticipated- but it made sense. God had prevented the disciples from understanding that Jesus was speaking of his death and resurrection, in order to preserve the integrity of the gospels- especially in connection with the accounts of the Resurrection. If the disciples had anticipated Christ's resurrection, then they might have been hanging around his tomb, which might have given people more reason to question whether the Resurrection had occurred. As it was, the disciples where nowhere to be seen. So while people could 'speculate' as to what might have happened, since no 'body' was ever produced, and no obvious, legitimate link could be forged between the missing body and the activities of the disciples, the possibility that Christ had, in fact, risen from the dead, was given greater credence.

hhhmmm, very interesting concept! I love it! Human nature being what it is I would guess your preacher is right on.

Taking this concept further, how often do we see God do his work in ways we would never dream about? Does he perhaps do it so so no human can share in the glory for having accomplished such? Makes me wonder...now I got something to ruminate about all day long, something besides Bro. Jeremiahs writings...ever read Jeremiah? The Holy Spirit has given me the desire to plumb the depth of his writings and am finding them extremely fascinating, inspirational and speaking well to the times we are living in. Got off topic here, but, anyways, thanks for sharing...

ginnyrose

2010/4/5 9:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy