Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Age of accountability

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dunlow64God

Age of accountability

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the age of accountability. I'm not trying to start a heated debate, I'm just curious as to some views on this particular topic. The Bible doesn't mention these exact words anywhere and I was just wondering if there is such a thing.

2010/3/26 22:01Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Age of accountability

My personal view of the Age of Accountability is the Age the Person can understand right from wrong or understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The problem with my personal view is just that a personal view I have actually done very little research so if someone could enlighten us I am sure it would be much appreciated :)

2010/3/26 22:34Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

To me, the “age of accountability” is irrelevant if they’ve never heard the true gospel. What if they never hear the true gospel of Jesus Christ until they are 40, 50 or 70??

It's worth thinking about!

God bless you,

2010/3/26 23:05Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

If they have never heard the true gospel their conscience and the Law written on their hearts is a witness against them.

2010/3/26 23:18Profile

Hi Dunlow,

There is no "age of accountability,' in the New Testement. According to Jewish law, the age which a young boy became a man was 13 and a young girl 12. This is when they celebrate their Bar Mitzvah. At this age they become responsible for their own actions. In the New Testement, their is not a single example of a child "coming to Christ", only adults. One could mention "household salvation,' which is typically mentioned in this discussion, but that proves nothing and would be an argument from silence. One cannot build a theology or a doctine on no Scriptures. Therefore, children , up to a certain age, must be considered innocent. Evangelicals encourage very young children to get "saved.' Catholics baptize thier babies to save them from Limbo(even the Catholics did not want to argue that children go to hell so they created limbo) Given what Scripture does say and given the attributes and nature of God, the better assuption is that children are innocent and therefore go to heaven if they die, this makes more Biblical sense. Only doctrines of men would contradict this. .......brother Frank

2010/3/26 23:48
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Well said Dunlow.

2010/3/27 0:06Profile

Re: Knowing good and evil, and choosing evil. we all have done it.

by Lysa

To me, the “age of accountability” is irrelevant if they’ve never heard the true gospel. What if they never hear the true gospel of Jesus Christ until they are 40, 50 or 70??

It's worth thinking about!

God bless you,

Lots of wisdom there, Lysa.

A couple of thoughts. Consider the unbelieving evil ones. Romans makes it very clear that God's wrath abides upon them.

Romans 1:18-25

18. The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19. since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.

20. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

21. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

22. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23. and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24. Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.

25. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

These people are in the fires of Hades; forever. at one point they were born as innocent babies, walked as pure children, but became aware of evil, and chose it....in the exact same way as Eve did; as our grandfather Adam did.

So, we see, that accountability is not necessarily an earthly age a person may be,[ but it is never the infant or young child..] but an awareness that they willfully comply to of choosing good or evil. We become accountable then, every day of our life, to desire Him, or our own way; the way of our own prideful , mental, or physical lusts.

Another thought: just because you are deceived, it doesn't mean you are innocent. You are in rebellion just the same. There is a whole lot of grace in our salvation.

2010/3/27 6:11
HomeFree89

Indiana

I found this quote by Jim Elliot interesting:

Quote:
Oh why stand we debating whether or not children under the 'age of accountability' (whatever that may mean) are going to heaven when they are dead, when we are sure that multitudes round about us are pouring hourly into hell?

2010/3/27 8:19Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Paul made an interesting statement in Romans 7. He said that he was alive without the law once, but when the commandment came, sin revived and he died. I am not saying that Paul's topic of teaching was the age of accountability, but the principle that he brings out may very will apply. Before a child is old enough to understand that he or she is violating God's standard, or old enough to understand who God is or that He has a standard, I would say the child is "alive without the law", or is not accountable. But when the law comes, when the child realizes that God exists, has a standard, and that he or she is breaking that law, then the child is accountable. In that respect, there are mentally handicapped adults who have not reached the age of accountability in my opinion. It is the age of realization that God determines right and wrong and that I am wrong.

My opinion anyway.

Travis

2010/3/27 18:39Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy