after healing he commanded them to tell no
one?

God bless
Maryjane

2010/3/26 1:54Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Wondering

Something that my dad told me was that He told people that so that others may form their Faith on Him as the Son of God instead of have Faith in His Works.

According to my study bible "Jesus did not wish to stir up the popular, but mistaken, expectations that a wonder-working Messiah would soon arise as king of the Jews and deliver them from the Roman Yoke. Jesus didn't people to know because of the false Concepts of the Jews, who looked for an exclusively national and policital Messiah, Jesus didn't want to precipitate a revolution against Rome"

2010/3/26 2:16Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

One possible reason is because his time had not yet come, he had to constantly keep it at bay until the Father revealed it was his time...He had to fulfill all that the father had sent him to do. To much publicity could have kept that from happening and sent him to the cross pre-maturely.

2010/3/26 2:34Profile
FaithSteward

Re: Mark 3: 7 - 12

Excellent Question!!!

I'm re-studying Mark last night with the spiritual [expository] guidance of the late great "Ray" of Light C. Stedman! (GO! DTS)! - "a man of integrity" whose gifted biblical insight is like replenishing nectar into the barren, cracks of post-modernist, trans-humanist malnourishment of the millenial mind. I trust this steward's insight.

And, he explains Mark 3: 7 - 12 as such:

...Next Post...

2010/3/27 15:46Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Why did Jesus tell those He healed to not tell anyone?

And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people. And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy; and he healed them. And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan.
(Matthew 4:23-25)

It's not surprising that crowds followed Jesus when He performed such wonders. We know how much men value physical health. But Jesus was far more anxious to save the souls than to heal the bodies of men, and so he always sought for opportunities to preach the gospel. Probably one reason Jesus didn't want them to mention the means of their healing was, that he foresaw that if the miracles were widely broadcast, a still greater crowd of diseased people would come to Him, and therefore his preaching would be interrupted. Physical disease must have appeared to him very small in comparison to the disease of sin which leads to destruction.

We judge diseases by their end, and not by their beginning. If we have seen a man die from any disease, when we see the beginning of that disease in another we are filled with horror. Jesus had seen souls tormented in burning flames, and he knew that sin was the beginning of hell.

In Christ,

Ron

2010/3/27 16:24Profile
FaithSteward

Re:

...Mark 3: 11 (NIV)

"Whenever the evil spirits saw him, they fell down before him and cried out, "You are the Son of God." But he gave them strict orders not to tell who he was."

YET...LATER in Mark 5: 1 - 17

When Christ and his disciples reached the region of Gerasenes and "a man with an evil spirit" (Mark 5: 2) fell on his knees in front of Christ -

Mark 3' - EVIL SPIRITS appeal to Christ's presence and POPULARITY

FLATTERY / FALSE FORCES

Accolade: "You are the Son of God" (Mark 3: 12)
Resulting Witness for Christ: Superficial - His power and identity as Truth would be distorted by a shallow emphasis on the frenzy of his present popularity. Christ did not come to gain Popularity or the surface flattery of fame-stricken maddening crowds -

...if one's encounter with Christ merely results in the Babylonian AWE of man's primal, egomaniacal, drive to associate/equalize the SELF with the "glorified" "Son of God" -

...then this is, indeed a false testimony...which has encountered the Christ, with no resulting spritual transformation...an unclean spirit

In Mark 3:12 Christ is rejecting the testimony of an "unclean spirit" - because their testimony will only decieve others about who Christ really is - and an the untransformed life of a sinfully, rebellious witness - will associate Christ's nature with the behavior of heathens -

...NEXT POST...

2010/3/27 16:29Profile
FaithSteward

Re:

...and so in Mark 3: 12, when Christ recognizes the age - old evil spriit of "Balaam's Error" presenting itself at His feet as a "witness" to His mere popularity and power to transform / heal the flesh -

He rejects the testimony and tells them "do not tell others about Me" because to protect God's people from becoming prey to the "Error of Balaam" once again by evil spirits who use religion and popularity to decieve the masses.

...NEXT POST...

2010/3/27 16:31Profile
FaithSteward

Re:

...In Mark 5' - Demon possessed man - EVIL SPIRIT "Legion" appeals to Christ's power and mercy...

Well...Enough for now (Never Enough...Ever)

2010/3/27 16:48Profile

Hi MJ,

The idea that Jesus was sent to specific people, and, that historically this is how God works, is, I believe, part of your answer, and accommodates our limitations.

Luke 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 18 The Spirit of the Lord [i]is[/i] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20 And he closed the book, and he gave [i]it[/i] again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. 22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son? 23 And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country. 24 And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country. 25 But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land; 26 But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, [i]a city[/i] of Sidon, unto a woman [i]that was[/i] a widow. 27 And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian. 28 And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, 29 And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. 30 But he passing through the midst of them went his way, 31 And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.

Mark 3:1 And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand. 2 And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him. 3 And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth. 4 And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace. 5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched [i]it[/i] out: and his hand was restored whole as the other. 6 And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him. 7 But Jesus withdrew himself with his disciples to the sea: and a great multitude from Galilee followed him, and from Judaea, 8 And from Jerusalem, and from Idumaea, and [i]from[/i] beyond Jordan; and they about Tyre and Sidon, a great multitude, when they had heard what great things he did, came unto him. 9 And he spake to his disciples, that a small ship should wait on him because of the multitude, lest they should throng him. 10 For he had healed many; insomuch that they pressed upon him for to touch him, as many as had plagues. 11 And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God. 12 And he straitly charged them that they should not make him known. 13 And he goeth up into a mountain, and calleth [i]unto him[/i] whom he would: and they came unto him.

Acts 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, [i]being[/i] the ninth [i]hour[/i]. 2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; 3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. 4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us. 5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. 6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. 7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted [i]him[/i] up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God: 10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.

I wonder if Jesus was concerned for the safety of those whom He had healed or delivered?

John 7:13, John 19:38, John 20:19

2010/3/29 11:48
MaryJane

Re:

greetings

thank you everyone for your replies. My son and I were discussing this some more and he was thinking that perhaps Jesus did tell them not to say anything as a way of protecting them from the Jews in power at the time. It may have been that if those who were healed did try to spread around what Jesus had done for them they may have become a target by the pharisees as well? Something to consider as Alive-to-God suggested also.

Jesus only did what the Father instructed Him to do so it could also be that He did not want it widely spread that He was doing these miracle for the simple reason to keep order. As someone mentioned if it had become more widely known Jesus would have had even more crowds to deal with. All those who were sick would have come from even further away.

Still Jesus knew that some would tell others what happened to them and how they were healed and yet he instructs them to say nothing? Would those who do tell have been guilty of sin for telling?

God Bless
mj

2010/3/29 13:49Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy