SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Special needs children only want acceptance?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Special needs children only want acceptance?

Someone I know posted this on Facebook. There is something terribly wrong with this, but I can not quite put my finger on it. Obviously any one that is sick would like to be cured. Why would someone promote this kind of thinking?

"People need to understand that special needs children don't have an illness, they are not looking for a cure only acceptance. 93% of you probably won't copy and paste this~will you be in the 7% that will and leave it on your status for at least an hour. Special Education week March 22nd to the 26th"

2010/3/25 22:10Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Special needs children only want acceptance?

GOD once revealed to me that acceptance is a
universal desire and need; a need to be loved
and understood. This helps one find their
identity; to know your true self and discover
its worth. This gives a sense of purpose
and meaning for life.

All these needs are found and met in GOD
Himself when HE finds and saves us!!

2010/3/25 22:22Profile
DBen

Western NY, USA

Quote:
People need to understand that special needs children don't have an illness, they are not looking for a cure only acceptance.

I am a father of a special needs child (down's syndrome) and I honestly haven't seen a desire for acceptance out of my child, now 9, that is any greater than any of my other children. A great desire to please, as all my children have, and a great capability to love, as my other children have.

Hmmm, thinking about it my child is not really any different than my other children. Ok, maybe a bit more sweet. :)

2010/3/25 22:30Profile

Hi Heartsong, we agree on so much but on this issue I have to disagree. The notion that my son, with Down Syndrome, is sick, is quite a strange one to me. Just two days after Daniel was born(he is now 16) the Lord whispered in my ear "I have given you a perfect gift from the treasures of heaven." Experience has borne that out. He looks at the world through pure eyes. He does not see black or white, old or young. He prays with a purity and simplicity that has made many weep who have listened to him. He loves to worship Jesus. He has brought my wife and I closer together, and challenged us to look deeper. If that is sickness, the whole world needs to be "sick." :) By the way, the notion that this a sickness causes an abortion rate of 92% of all babies discovered to have Down Syndrome.......brother Frank

2010/3/25 23:52
HeartSong

Re:

So just what is "sick" - or "special needs." If one were blind, would they not want to see? I know that before the Lord got a hold on me I was terribly "sick" and blind. I did not know that I was "sick" and blind so I did not feel the need to be cured, but if I had known that I was "sick" and blind, surely I would have wanted to be cured. The cure was being accepted in the Beloved - but it was not that I needed to be accepted by other people. In fact, now that I think about it, other people now think that I am sick. :)

I have a nephew that has autism and had often said that it was I that was sick, and not he, due to the amount of joy that he exhibited over the simplest things - and this turned out to be true. After I was "healed" we sat on the ground together and shared an orange, and made a mess, and had a most delightful time. It is special grace that the Lord has bestowed upon him - and I am certain he can see the angels that surround him. Yet . . . I don't know, there is something that really bothers me about that statement.

2010/3/26 1:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Maybe what bothers you is the statement that if you have any heart for this issue you will forward it to others? These declarations always leave me, well, cold. You have heard of these "if you love Jesus send this on to ten people". I do not think I can find a parallel command in the scriptures. Do you?

Actually, if I get an email that really is inspiring, and do want to forward it, I will delete this threat on the end.

My two cents...

ginnyrose

2010/3/27 13:08Profile

Re:

HI Heartsong, I think you may have missed the point, and it may be highlighted by comparing a blind child to a special needs child. We call them special needs children, they used to be called retarded or mentally retarded. It has nothing to do with blind people or deaf people. Blind people and deaf people are not "metally retarded."

More than 90 percent of cases of Down syndrome are caused by trisomy 21. A child with trisomy 21 has three copies of chromosome 21 — instead of the usual two copies — in all of his or her cells.

You see, my son has an extra copy of trisomy 21. He does not have an illness, he is a class of person. And as I said, the Lord spoke into my heart two days after he was born, when I knew nothing of Downs Syndrome, and told me that He had given me a "perfect gift from the treasure of heaven." You can read about it here http://scottishwarriors.wordpress.com/the-day-i-met-an-angel/

Now the world does consider it an illness and that is why over 90% of Downs kids are aborted in the womb. There is a genoicide going on and in two or three short generations there will be no more Down Syndrome people left and the world will be a darker place..........brother Frank

2010/3/27 14:20
HeartSong

Re:

Hi Frank,

I think I do see your heart in this. You do not have a sick child, you have a precious gift from the Lord and the labeling of Down syndrome as "sick" is giving people cause to kill their babies.

But this statement does not limit itself to Down syndrome.

Without defining "special needs," it says:

- special needs children don't have an illness
- special needs children are not looking for a cure
- special needs children are [u]only[/u] looking for acceptance

After praying about it, and due to the timing of the posting, as well as the call to spread it around, it might as well say:

"Special needs children do not need any health care money."

2010/3/28 11:34Profile

There are thousands of special needs children that don't have a mommy or daddy. To them, they probably would be looking for acceptance. Unfortunately, their acceptance comes way of abuses of all kinds.

2010/3/28 12:25

Re:

Hi Heartsong, at the risk of belaboring this point "special needs," is a commonly accpeted phrase, unless of course you are not in that world.When one uses that phrase, I would guess that almost all would know that itis not talking about sick children. There is a very specific special needs lobby.

"After praying about it, and due to the timing of the posting, as well as the call to spread it around, it might as well say:"Special needs children do not need any health care money"

Actually the opposite is true. So many special needs families have been financially destroyed by the "pre-exsiting condition," clauses and the absoulte heartlesness of the insurance companies when it comes to their children. I would immagine that they are elated at the passage of laws outlawing such a heartless practise from people whose only bottom line is money. Now parents of special needs kids do not have to worry about changing jobs or losing jobs, such a giant stress on families who are already under considerable stress a lot of the times.

May the Lord bless all families with "special needs," children from the discrimination that society in general have against them. If anyone would like to pray about finances, please pray about all the cutbacks that States now have to make becuase of the disaterous financial situation. Already Daniel's next few years (Daniel is 17 and he graduates next year) are in doubt. Typically the State has programs for special needs children until they are 21, these programs are being drastically cutback. Most people do not realize that any cutbacks typically start with special needs programs..........brother Frank

2010/3/28 13:49

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy