SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does the truth matter anymore?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Does the truth matter anymore?

http://www.gty.org/Resources/Videos/Truth01

This is a great video by John Macarthur I hope you all enjoy it. It speaks on how in the modern church we are falling away from biblical truth, let me know what you think?

2010/3/21 17:48Profile

Re: Does the truth matter anymore?

That exactly what I'm saying bible4life.

NO ONE CARES ANYMORE. I don't mean to be negative but we have to speak the truth. We live in a society where acceptance and being agreeable is held above all other attributes, attributes like integrity, honesty, love.

It's all about looking good on the outside. Hence, we look just like the world. There is no difference.

In most churches, it's still a popularity contest and sadly no one trusts each other. At the bigger churches, it seems like corporate america and it's all about meetings and results but I don't see the HEART. THERE IS NO LOVE. You can fool everyone into thinking you are a good christian by how many times you come to church, how you act with all the masks we put on. But you can't fake it when it comes to love. Christianity is now about how to minimalize the effort to maintain the status I have at church and with God.

It's just like work. We smile and do things and pretend we like it but ONLY because we have to.

I'm not saying you have to be holy and read the bible everyday and pray 2 hours a day. But what I am saying is that people have to try. NO ONE TRIES.

For example, if I'm doing something wrong, you should let me know even if it gets confrontational or uneasy. And vice versa. We shouldn't just have surfacey conversations and avoid the issues at hand because it's uncomfortable. Chrisitianity is uncomfortable. WE NEED TO WORK TOGETHER AND WATCH OUT FOR EACH OTHER and REALLY LOVE. That's the whole point of church.

Christianity is hard. It was meant to be hard. Therefore, we should endure struggles that your everyday joe never experiences. Yet at church, during small group, bible study, and even prayer meetings, no one is willing to open up and be vulnerable. Then it becomes another bible study of Pharisees boasting how holy we are. It's about how holy we are and what missions he is sending me to, or what ministry he wants to start in me or what other performance based thing Jesus is doing through me... as if we deserve any credit. Aren't we just vessels? And you can tell when it's performance based because everything we share sounds so Holy, so good, like we're perfect christians and nothing ever bad happens to us.

And when it becomes performance based, people have to be FAKE because there is no way you can be PERFECT, all the time.

I can't stand it anymore. I feel like I have no one I can trust about this, honestly. And I can't bring this up at church either.

Paris Reidhead is right on the money: We turned christianity into humanism, pragmatism, or whatever. It isn't about God. It's about me.

And since my conversion back 6 months ago, I talked to people I used to go to church with. Went to as many bible studies I could go to at different churches. And the one common denominator remains. No one wants to change. They like this social thing we call church but No one wants to change.

And if this is a social thing. Why go to church to meet your social needs? There are many more fun things to do out in the real world. And you don't have to fake it out there. And trust me, it's much more fun out there.

Neither hot or cold, we became lukewarm.

And I want to quit so bad. If no one around me is doing it, what does it matter if I try. I'm not saying I'm holy or anything. All I'm saying is let's try to love one another as ourselves and to GENUINELY LOVE. Actually for now, it doesn't even have to be that. Let's just do a couple of things to help one another, or to show genuine care.. just baby steps.

What are we going to say on that judgement day when He asks. Why did you not love? How can you say you loved Me when you faked loving your peers at church or people around you. I told you to love. Why did you not TRY? I didn't ask you to be perfect. I asked you to TRY. Why did you not TRY?

2010/3/28 21:36
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

amen your exactly right it has become a social thing, knowing that i myself might not be truly saved i don't want to go to far in what i say but it is because some have not become regenerated by the holy spirit and not have personally contacted Christ in their life, we need to pray for everyone.

2010/3/28 22:36Profile

Re:

2010/4/5 17:57
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
And I want to quit so bad

And don't you dare do that, ya' hear??!!

Listen! brother, know this, that in 100 years from now you will be so glad you didn't!

It is when you look around, look at others and compare yourselves among yourselves that you become discouraged. 2 Corinthians 10:12.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2010/4/5 22:44Profile

Re:

Great post codek. There were many truths in the things which you touched upon. These are the very things which need to be spoken aloud in every assembly.

2010/4/5 23:26

dear Codek

Quote:
Anyone else has any takes?

Oh Codek, I just love ya, i love you with my heart of flesh, i love you with the heart of Jesus, that is the Messiah that lives IN us, you get me? I love you, sight unseen. I read your prior post, and i read you loud and clear, and you know what i think you're feeling, and being consumed by?, i think you got God Hunger, its a hunger that is so intense, its like Jacob at the Jabbok River, where he wrestles with Jesus all night long, gets his hip wrenched out and says to the Lord, I WON'T LET YOU GO TILL YOU BLESS ME!....and God gives him a new name, Israel.

Jacob was so desperate, becaue he was going to have to face a brother who he had schemed and scamed years before, and now he was going to have to face him, and Jacob was scared, terrified, didnt know what to do, in a day, everything that he had worked for, everyone he had loved could be killed, raped murdered and he was at an end of himself, helpless and harrassed, scareed and alone, and only One Place to turn...not the church, not the Bible, not doctrine, nor -ism's, He could only turn to God, and wrestle with Jesus all night long, desperate, NO OTHER OPTIONS, my name is neil btw and Codek, you aint gonna "quit", i'm not gonna quit, you and i both know that. Where and to Whom would we go? Jesus has us. Its like in John, where Jesus puts out some pretty hard teaching, "my flesh is real food, and my blood is real drink" and the folks there heard this,must have thought the Lord was some kind of blood swilling cannibal, becaue they couldnt see thru the mist of their own fears, their own preconceptions, and really pick up on what Jesus was saying, so they left, Jesus turns to Peter and the rest of the disciples and says, "you want to leave too"...and heres the part i love, Peter says (and i'm paraphrasing) "where we going to go? there is no other place to go but with You, You have me, you have captured me, enthralled me, loved me, and You are IN me, this peter, who God revealed that Jesus was Messiah, Son of God come down to earth,and Peter without hesitation, made this confession fore he had APPREHENDED Messiah, Christ in the Greek. Some say, you are "saved", Jesus saved me, and that is fine, one must us the words they are comfortable with, or the words they use wont get them branded as a heretick, but i as God revealed it to, have apprehended Messiah, and as you know , Jesus said to Peter, God revealed this to you, and you are going to be the Rock my Church is built on. Some say Peter himself was this Rock, but what i believe Jesus was saying that THIS FIRST confession is the Rock. The confession of Jesus is Lord, that is the Foundation of the Church, which is the Body of Christ, The Rock is the first confession of this simple fisherman Peter that Jesus is Lord.

its late, and I'm fading fast, but i have so much more to say to you, which i will, but let me close with two thoughts, Jesus will never let you go, you know that in the secret place, and second, you're not going anywhere, you're not quitting, anhd never am i, we have no options

eyes froopin i remain His and so do you, much moe i have to right to you, stay strong and keep the faith, In Jesus's love, neil

2010/4/6 1:46
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: dear Codek

"Justice is turned back, and righteousness stands afar off, for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter."

"So truth fails, and he who departs from evil makes himself a prey."

Isaiah 59v14-15

2010/4/6 5:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Does the truth matter anymore?

Ever read this?

Oh that my head were waters
And my eyes a fountain of tears,
That I might weep day and night
For the slain of the daughter of my people!
Oh that I had in the desert
A wayfarers' lodging place;
That I might leave my people
And go from them!
For all of them are adulterers,
An assembly of treacherous men.
"They bend their tongue like their bow;
Lies and not truth prevail in the land;
For they proceed from evil to evil,
And they do not know Me," declares the LORD.
"Let everyone be on guard against his neighbor,
And do not trust any brother;
Because every brother deals craftily,
And every neighbor goes about as a slanderer.
"Everyone deceives his neighbor
And does not speak the truth,
They have taught their tongue to speak lies;
They weary themselves committing iniquity.
"Your dwelling is in the midst of deceit;
Through deceit they refuse to know Me," declares the LORD."

Know who wrote it? You can find it at Jeremiah 9:1-6. (The text above is from the NASB).

When I read this scripture I thought of this post...and I also was reminded that human nature has not changed, not even after all these years - 2500 years, perhaps? Take heart - God knows all about it...

ginnyrose

2010/4/6 22:25Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

ginnyrose,

That is one scripture I read that affects me profoundly when I do read it.

You do cry at the lost condition of the world. Lost, because of their knowledge, yet rejection, of the almighty Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

You do cry also, at the condition of the churches today, who do use the Bible, and yet, there seems to be something missing.

It is, as has been said, that truth has been rejected. Known and rejected, by both the world and the 'church'.

But as you said, 'God knows all about it...

God bless.

2010/4/7 7:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy