SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God's Truth?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

God's Truth?

So I have a question about a statement that I heard a preacher say that didn't quite click with me and I could be wrong but what do you folks think

His Statement was : "All Truth is God's truth"

This was said in context with different religions and beliefs.

Is this statement Kosher?

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/3/19 23:08Profile
JonMarie

Re: God's Truth?

Hi Matthew,

Do you suppose it depends on how one looks at that statement? and don't most religions have at least one aspect of truth in them?
for example;

All(absolute, genuine) Truth is God's truth.

All (encompassing any truth as set forth by anyone)truth is God's truth.

one statement is true, one statement is false.

This reminds me of how we look at the bible. Our understanding can differ, of how we comprehend the same verse.

2010/3/19 23:35Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Your statement is the Truth, I think I took it as your second example and felt in the context of what he was talking about it seemed to be that way, I think that this is where many people get off track with the Gospel and step into New Ageism, ie if there is a hint of truth and has intentions on doing good then it all the paths lead to the same God which we all know is false. I think that is why I took it in this mannor because I had my guard up.

Well thanks for the Reply it definitely clarified some things for me mentally.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/3/20 0:25Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

'All truth is God's truth' is a very dangerous statement. It's very popular amongst christian philosophers. The problem arises when we see something in the world or in it's various philosophies and religions that is related to the truths revealed in Scripture.

Think about this statement: "The only truth that is God's truth will only lead to the Truth." Only things that reveal the truth of God are God's truth.

However, when a true statement or observation is made subservient to a lie or the Lie then it is not God's truth but the enemy transforming himself into an angel of light. Therefore, while it's possible to see all the things that are true and related to God that Paul says are self-evident in the first chapters of Romans, they don't reveal The Truth, yet they are true and self-evident none-the-less. Yet in his sinfulness man suppresses and corrupts the true things he's seeing and is not led to the truth by them.

2010/3/20 0:45Profile

Re: God's Truth?

Quote:
"All Truth is God's truth"

As you have put a capital 'T' for the first truth, on reading, it seems you are saying the pastor was talking about Christ, who is the whole Truth about everything, and who being the whole Word of God made Flesh, was complete and is absolute.

Behind your pastor's statement is the idea that if one has found a snippet of 'the Truth', it can be combined with any other snippet of pure truth, and together with almost any other propensity one can imagine, is automatically leading the discoverer closer to God, and furthermore, is a legitimate way of eventually reaching God.

The first few verses of Hebrews spring to mind as a counter to this.

In the first half hour of Paul Washer's address to the Deeper conference, he delivers a lecture on key modern philosophies which attack faith: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=17392]here[/url]. You might find it helpful.

2010/3/20 10:40
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

In the Scriptures, there is "general revelation" and "special revelation." All "truth" ultimately comes from these two things. "General revelation," is truth that is available to all of mankind, discernible by "natural" and "self-evident" means. But by itself, it always offers an incomplete picture, and taken merely by itself, one could make erroneous conclusions about "truth." That is why we need to "special revelation," so that we can come to understand and see things as God sees them. Special revelation gives us the mind of Christ, and allows us to think God's thoughts about the world.

2010/3/20 10:55Profile
JonMarie

Re:

Hi Jimmy,

Will you reference your statements when you can find time?

Thank you,
God Bless,
JonMarie

2010/3/21 1:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

An example of general revelation:

Romans 1:19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

An example of special revelation:

Exodus 3:13 Then Moses said to God, "Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you.' Now they may say to me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?" 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

"Generally" it is known as a "self-evident truth" that there is a God who created everything that exists. Every man knows this, even an atheist (which is why he so strongly protests the idea). However, as great as knowing this is, as one theologian once pointed out, we would not know the name of the Creator unless He had chosen to reveal His name, "Jehovah," to us. We are dependent upon special revelation for that.

And without that special revelation, we could infer a lot of wrong ideas about God simply from general revelation. Case in point, deism. Deism teaches that there is a God who created all things, but when He created the universe, He simply wound it up like a toy, and set it in motion, and let it go to do its own thing. Such is a logical inference, as we observe a world of natural laws that apparently cause all things to work the way they do. But, such a thing would contradict special revelation, as by special revelation we learn that God didn't simply set the world in motion and let it go, but rather, God is intimately and actively involved in every aspect of everything that happens in the creation. The world isn't simply spinning because of natural laws, but because God is making it spin.

To sum up: General revelation teaches us a lot of things about truth, but is limited in what it can teach us. Indeed, without special revelation to guide us, we might deduce from it things that are contradictory from the way God actually sees things.

I hope that helps.

2010/3/21 9:13Profile
JonMarie

Re:

Thank you very much Jimmy, for that clear and concise reply.

God Bless,
JonMarie

2010/3/22 0:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy