SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ravenhill's ministry

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sdidde

Milpitas, CA, USA

Ravenhill's ministry

I was recently challenged by another brother that there's not much to show for Leonard Ravenhill, in terms of ministry accomplishments.
Such as what David Wilkerson accomplished. In a sense he did not even pastor a Church.
His book on Revival did not matter very much, because he was not instrumental in a revival of any kind in his lifetime. In other words, it's merely theoretical.
Does any one have any written records of Bro. Ravenhill's ministry?
Thanks,
SD

2010/3/18 23:10Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Ravenhill's ministry

Ravenhill was actually instrumental with several other brothers in planting several churches in England when he was in his 20's, churches that still exist today. He traveled around on foot from city to city, sleeping in a sleeping bag or church pews, preaching in the streets, and actually having mini-revivals in these communities. Later in life, for many many years he preached faithfully on Friday nights in Tyler, TX, and his preaching sometimes emptied bars and movie theaters as people would gather to listen to him.

Ravenhill was also the mentor to several very well known ministers, including David Wilkerson, Keith Green, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, and many many many others who came to him looking for advice. He's also help inspire and motivate many ministers across the globe, including many missionaries (such as Paul Washer.) His books, while not best sellers, have had a dramatic impact on countless thousands. He was also very instrumental in actually helping David Wilkerson establish Teen Challenge, which was hardly a small thing. He preached all across the world, and at various times, did actually pastor. If I'm correct, Ravenhill was also an associate pastor at A.W. Tozer's church, and was there when a revival broke out, sometime in the 50's or 60's.

Ravenhill was far from a theoretical speaker on revival. He was a walking practitioner. His life is not very well documented. He seldom talked about himself. I've only managed to put this little bit together about him, because I've listened to hundreds of his sermons, where he sometimes mentions these things in passing. I have learned other things through the testimony of others. For example, I have heard it reported that Ravenhill had a gift of healing. It is reported that when he prayed for people with cancer, they were healed. He never talks about this though. If memory serves correct, his wife, Martha, only talked about it after his death.

And if all else fails... Ravenhill though dead still speaks, and his ministry still continues today. I only learned about him about 10 of 15 years after his death, when a friend of mine gave me a copy of his book, "Why Revival Taries," which absolutely rocked my world. I look to him as a spiritual father in my life, though long dead, has helped make me into the man I am today. I seldom stand in a pulpit or on a street corner today, without somehow thinking about something he said.

2010/3/18 23:32Profile
jimp

hi,it amazes me to read all the critics of people who did great things by people who have done little or nothing for God...they have the gift of critism as spoken in the book of... gee i cant find it now...i was in a snarley mood when i saw this from some pompous "christians" already.len was a personal friend of mine and never blew his own horn.he had great exploits in his ministry...first in england as a great evangelist...brush arbor and tents...with great success.he told me how God delivered him from the dramatic of those days to simply speak the word.when i met him he was the head of mildale convention center in zachary la.where he ministered to pastors and evangelist and pastored two home churches...one in my home. he honored God with his money by giving 50% to missions.he told of living in zion ill in the beginnings when God moved ...he told me of having to jump from the sixth floor of a hotel on fire breaking his back and while recovering in ireland every cancer patient he prayed for washealed immediately thus God provided for his family...i could go on and on but he was a gift from God...can this be said of you or me.jimp wake up to the revival that is already going on in the earth...Jesus is still the head of His great church where millions are being saved on the earth.

2010/3/19 0:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
His book on Revival did not matter very much, because he was not instrumental in a revival of any kind in his lifetime. In other words, it's merely theoretical.
Does any one have any written records of Bro. Ravenhill's ministry?

Ravenhill's life and ministry influenced me to the point to start sermonindex.net

There are 10,000's of other ministers used much much greater then I will ever be who were directed influenced by the life of Ravenhill. he has a hidden life of prayer that dwarfs anyone in our contemporary age. But yes let's believe he did nothing for God. For His reward is in heaven.

"That day will tell all".

[b]Thoughts On That Judgment Day by Leonard Ravenhill[/b]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXMMYrY47Os]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXMMYrY47Os[/url]

2010/3/19 1:13Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Another one to watch:

[b]Leonard Ravenhill 85yrs old Rebukes Pastors!![/b]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwpot7ViyT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwpot7ViyT8[/url]

2010/3/19 1:18Profile
MikeH

sdidde queried

Quote:
that there's not much to show for Leonard Ravenhill, in terms of ministry accomplishments

Ironically, this could be the greatest testimony to Ravenhill's ministry. The glory of all the things he did were left as a testimony to Jesus, not to Ravenhill.

[color=009900]1Co 4:5 Therefore [b]judge nothing before the time[/b], until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.[/color]

Kind regards

Mike

2010/3/19 4:46Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

My lackadaisical walk with God has been completely transformed by "Why Revival Tarries," more than any other book written by a man. Sometimes trees do not come forth into life until after DEATH. When will people understand this? Jesus own words had little impact on anyone until he died and rose again. How many followers were there for him at the cross? Are you going to accuse Christ of being theoretical too?

Please use discernment.

2010/3/19 10:29Profile
JonMarie

Re:

How can we think it is wise to judge the results of Brother Ravenhill's ministry? The results cannot be known this side of heaven. I am looking forward to meeting him.

2010/3/20 0:23Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy