· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Are We "Just" Praying For Revival?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
osandoval

Are We "Just" Praying For Revival?

The following was taken from Ray Comfort's devotional book, "The Way of the Master Minute."

Wednesday, March 17th, 2010
STAY AND PRAY
"Are you praying for revival? Many are. They aren't seeking the lost. They instead see revival as a sovereign "move of God." In doing so, they are handing the job of evangelism back to Heaven. In essence they are saying, "We know you have commanded us to preach the Gospel to every creature ... but we will stay here and pray. Your Word says, 'How will they hear without a preacher?' ... but we will stay here and pray. You have told us that the Gospel is the power of God to salvation ... but we will stay here and pray because it sure is easier to talk to God about men, rather than to talk to men about God." Don't be like that. If we love Him, we will keep His commandments, and one of His commandments is go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature. There goes another minute. Gone forever. Go share your faith while you still have time."

2010/3/17 17:33Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re: Are We "Just" Praying For Revival?

I don't know if I agree with brother Ray completely. I do see his point, but my disagreement comes in that I think he's trying to pit two things against each other that aren't meant to be.

We should pray, then we should go. We should not go until we pray, and we should pray until God answers, and then we will go with the full assurance that God is with us.

Sometimes it's more important to stop doing things and wait, and sometimes it's more important to go. But we won't know the difference until God has heard our prayers and answered.

2010/3/17 17:51Profile
osandoval

Re:

hulsey said,

Quote:
We should pray, then we should go. We should not go until we pray, and we should pray until God answers, and then we will go with the full assurance that God is with us.

I agree that we should first seek the Lord in prayer before we go out. But I don't believe we need to wait for an internal feeling or sense of God answering us before we can know whether or not He wants us to go. He has made it clear in His Word that He wants us to seek the lost, like He did when He walked this earth. That's all we need as an assurance that He wants us to go. We just need to be obedient, and step out in faith.

2010/3/17 18:00Profile
osandoval

Re:

One other thought that came to mind. I think there should be a proper balance of praying and going. I've been around believers(including myself), who have had a wrong balance; some who emphasize much prayer, but hardly any evangelism; and some who emphasize much evangelism, but hardly any prayer. I can testify from personal experience that when I have had more of a balance the Lord has blessed my labors more.

2010/3/17 18:09Profile

Re:

I think Ray may have it wrong here. I have been a Christian for 20 years, came to Christ as an adult, and the one thing that almost evey church I have been in has in common is that they say how importnat prayer is, but go to the prayer meetings and see how many people show up. One can directly guage the spiritual temprature of a church based on its prayer. Nothing can be achieved outside of prayer. The day that there is too much prayer I will rejoice. And we can go even further than that, what kind of prayer is going on? Are we speaking to Gos , the Almighty King of Kings , when we pray, or are we teaching others, or speaking to others and so on? The effectual fervant prayers of the saints achieves much. Lets be honest, how many of us are involved in this kind of prayer?

One other thing, according to Barna, over 90% of proffessing Christians have never saw anyone come to Christ through their personal sharing. I would say that there are many reason for this, but too much prayer is not one of them. The church as a whole is asleep. We are in a crisis. We are not being a witness in the earth. We are a powerless anemic church today. The little converts we do see are not dynamic transformations. We not only need personal revival and community revival and national revival, we need a total reformation of what passes for the church today. Unless one is walking in the presence of God, unless we are encountering God and being ruined for this life and being changed into His image and having our hearts burn within us with His presence and a passion for the lost, we will contine down this present slide we are in. PLEASE KNOW THAT THERE IS A CRISIS OF ENORMOUS PROPORTIONS GOING ON RIGHT NOW. Nothing short of a radical intervention by the Living God can pull us out of this morass that we find oursleves in.........brother Frank

2010/3/17 18:35
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: ENCOUNTER, EXPERIENCE, EVANGELISM

First it is necessary that we have
a living, personal, true encounter
with Christ as LORD. This experience
will radically change our hearts and
transform our lives. Following this
experience; Christ calls us His own
disciples and servants and sends us
forth with the message of hope, truth,
and salvation!!

2010/3/17 19:16Profile

Re: Are We "Just" Praying For Revival?

Quote:
"Are you praying for revival? Many are. They aren't seeking the lost. They instead see revival as a sovereign "move of God." In doing so, they are handing the job of evangelism back to Heaven. In essence they are saying, "We know you have commanded us to preach the Gospel to every creature ... but we will stay here and pray. Your Word says, 'How will they hear without a preacher?' ... but we will stay here and pray. You have told us that the Gospel is the power of God to salvation ... but we will stay here and pray because it sure is easier to talk to God about men, rather than to talk to men about God." Don't be like that. If we love Him, we will keep His commandments, and one of His commandments is go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature. There goes another minute. Gone forever. Go share your faith while you still have time."

I certainly do disagree with Brother Ray Comforts words here.

You know Jesus said to His disciples, "Wait in Jerusalem until you be endued with power from on high".

That is an important statement that we all should consider. Those old men that sought God were seeking the power to go out and minister to the lost. We could very well go out in our own strength and "try" to win the lost out of duty, or someone is telling us that we "have to". We are spending way too much time on trying to save souls than we are at praying to the One who can give us the power to draw souls into the kingdom.

Ravenhill would tell us that men cried out to God and sought His face, give me souls ere I die. We can't do this on our own folks, it must be holy Ghost driven. Jesus said that He did what the Father showed Him to do. That is the example that He is giving to us to get our daily bread our meat our daily ration of "works" that He has ordained for you and I to accomplish, each and every day. But first we need to get that flow started. And our little praying that we are doing today ain't going to cut it.

Men of old shut themselves into a closet, a barn, a cellar, any where they can literally cry out to God for Him to move by His Spirit in them that they would become a beacon for the lost. "Use me", "cut all wickedness out of me", "Purge me with hyssop", "make me clean", "Have mercy upon me". These are just few of the words from hungry people that would really pray, and they prayed expecting a change. And a change they got. The power of God in demonstration. They got the flow of the Spirit and this is the result of a people set on fire of the holy Spirit, Mark 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

2010/3/17 19:47
osandoval

Re:

Snufalapugus, i understand where you are coming from and agree to a certain extent. Prayer and waiting on the Lord is crucial in our labors for His kingdom. Other wise our effort will be in the flesh and fruitless. But I believe we can emphasize prayer so much that we get comfortable and cozy in the closet, so to speak. We can get very selfish and just want to enjoy the Lord all to ourselves.

I have been with believers who get that way, sadly to say. They seem like they want to seek the Lord diligently in prayer and fasting and the Word, spending hours upon hours at a time. Yet these same believers did not show much concern or compassion for the lost. There was no zeal or fire to get out and obey Christ's command to preach the Gospel to every creature.

Again, both elements are very important in our walk with Jesus. This is clear throughout Scripture. Christ commands us both to pray and be His witness and preach His Gospel.

There is a danger in going to an extreme in either way. I know that Ravenhill and others really emphasize revival prayer, and I agree. But you can misunderstand that to mean that we just need to really pray. Even Ravenhill shares testimonies of Him going out daily in his prime years to preach the Gospel and plant churches, etc. Yet sadly to say, I believe Ravenhill and others emphasize prayer so much, to the exclusion of going out, that many take it to mean something it shouldn't. I would just like to see more of a balance, that's all.

2010/3/17 22:50Profile
Choo

Re:

Amen Brother Frank - You are exactly right!!

2010/3/17 23:08Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re: Balance?

Has anyone analyzed this "balance" in light of God's Word? Is prayer commanded & exemplified more in the New Testament, or is preaching?

How many days did they tarry in prayer before Pentecost? How many people tarried? How many preached? Was Peter unbalanced for spending so many hours & days in prayer, yet only a few short minutes preaching?

OBEDIENCE is the key! If we truly pray until we are endued with power from on high, then God will lead us to speak & eternal results will take place.

If we pray when God says pray & preach when God says preach, God will act & save sinners. If we substitute one for the other based on instructions from mere mortals, we are spinning our wheels in vanity.

2010/3/17 23:59Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy