SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : No More Shortcuts!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

No More Shortcuts!

No More Shortcuts!
Real preaching is not an art, neither is it a form of entertainment. Real preaching is what happens as a result of men and women who have shut themselves in with God, who have been touched by God, and who have heard His voice. It is that experience with God, that touch by God, and that word from God that the real preacher carries to the pulpit; and when he or she speaks, people take notice that they have been with Jesus.

There are simply not enough amens, hallelujahs, or praise the Lords that we could add to our sermons to make up for our lack of being touched by God. No amount of feet stomping, flailing of the arms, or raising of our voices will do. Only the one who has just come down from the mountain of God and who's face radiates with His glory is adequately prepared to preach. If we think this is too high of a price to pay for real preaching, then let us take up our occupation elsewhere. It was the apostles that said "seek ye out seven men full of the Holy Ghost," we are going to give ourselves to prayer and the study of the word. Too often, we would desire apostolic ministries, but where is the apostolic prayer and devotion to the word that is supposed to accompany it?

The man or woman who can approach the pulpit withought ever having shut themselves in with God should be very afraid. To ever think that we could preach or be effective without living in His presence is both foolish and absurd. What a tragedy it is as well for those whom God has placed under us to shepherd. There are real people who are coming to our churches with real needs, who are dealing with real problems and situations that only God knows about and can fix. It is going to take more than a three point outline to speak to those needs and situations. I wonder how often it has happened that these same people have come and gone from our churches, hurting and unchanged because we did not know the mind and will of God for that particular service.

It s very easy to flip through a sermon book, or surf the internet for all the the greatest sermon sites. It is very common for ministers to swap sermon outlines with one another. It has become very easy to get a sermon for Sunday these days. As ministers, we are being offered shortcuts for everything: shortcuts for conversion- just tell people to believe but don't require repentance or discipleship, shortcuts for church growth- do anything but disciple your people to be a witness, shortcuts to the anointing- no need to stay close to God because your talents and education are enough, or shortcuts to revival. Although ever major revival in history began as a result of intercessory prayer and repentance, many say it is no longer necessary to do these things anymore. All you need is some good singers, talented musicians, and a high powered evangelist to come prophecy over your people and folks will drive for miles to come see. It is time that we stop taking shortcuts.

These are the days of shallow religion. Much of today's preaching is often shallow, our teaching is often shallow, our experience with God is often shallow and our searching for God is often very shallow. If this is true about many who are in ministry, can it be any different for the ones who sit each week under that kind of preaching and teaching? It's no wonder then how we can get by these days with so little in the pulpit; much is not expected anymore. It is also no wonder as well, that we can get by with so much. If our flock always knew their Bibles as much as they should, I think they would call us out on the carpet over many things we allow and preach.

There is simply no shortcut to authentic ministry. There is no shortcut to a life lived in the Spirit. To have God's favor, God's anointing, and God's power at work in one's life still comes with a price. I hope and pray that all of us are willing and ready to pay it. If not, may God make us willing. To all of my preacher friends, and to all of you who are involved in ministry, it is my desire that you would join with me in a re-evaluation of our current ministries. Together, let's make sure that we are doing real ministry. Let's make sure that we are not taking shortcuts. The tragic curse of this last hour is last minute preparation, last minute praying, and last minute study. It is a fruitless attempt! Let's abandon it and repent of it. When doing ministry, let's make sure that God is the One we are trying to please, not men. Remember, ministry success is not defind by men, but by God. At the Judgement Seat, it will be His holy fire that all of our works will have to pass through. Will they stand the test of His scrutiny?

In the midst of all that going on in our world today, as well as in the church, let us not be dismayed. We still have the promise of Joel chapter two. "It shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." God is still willing to pour out His Spirit in the last days. This is the only hope for this last day church; but, it is a hope well placed. Remember, "God is not a man that He should lie." His promises still hold true today. In Jeremiah 29:13, the Lord said "ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart". May God grant us the grace to seek for Him passionately. No more shortcuts.

May God bless you in your ministry endeavors.

2010/3/16 13:17Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: No More Shortcuts

Amen brother! We need to pray for God to prepare men and women who are willing to labor in love in the fields for they are white unto harvest!

The fields that are white unto harvest are NOT IN THE CHURCH BUILDING where the pews are or the house churches where the couches are; the fields are outside.... in the fields! (huge grin)

There's not too many anymore willing to go out and work all day in the hot sun! In my younger days, I baled hay. Anyone who's ever baled hay KNOWS that it's not a fun way to spend an afternoon. You work from sun up to sun down or until all the hay was in (tractors do come with headlights!!).

A few drive the tractor and bale, someone drives the truck and some stack, some throw the bales up on the trailer, some bring food and water but it is God who gives the increase! We all have to work together to bring in the harvest.

Amen!! Joel 2 is alive and well and happening today!!

God bless your ministry endeavors as well!!!

2010/3/16 20:39Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: No More Shortcuts

Thank you this was a great encouragment to my heart, and yet a strong conviction fell over me. Let us spend more time in the prayer closet!! This is something that God has been dealing with my heart to PRAY MORE, I can't expect change if I don't have Camel knees like Brother James! I thank you for the call out for preachers to seek God and spend more time in His presense, May the Lord shine like the Sun in our Lifes to effect the hearts of men. All in Grace and Love!!

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/3/16 20:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy