Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

AND THE BOOKS WERE OPENED

[b]SALVATION NEGLECTED[/b]
An Excerpt from Lesson Titled "So Great Salvation"
[size=xx-small]By Robert Wurtz[/size]

How long would it take to catalog the average person’s sins if they were to sit down and name them one by one and then organize them? Would it take days? Would it take weeks or months? I dare say it would take a lifetime to simply prepare the indictment against us.

And that, because there are so many thoughts and motives and intentions behind sin that each sin would explode from a microcosm into a complex ‘organism’ that would have to be diagrammed to be explained.

When God brings to light the hidden works of darkness and exposes the counsels of men’s hearts along with every secret thing we have done whether in public or private; who will not tremble at the first sin exposed for fear of what shall soon be revealed?

Is it not a marvel that the devils fear God more than most Christians to the place where they fear and tremble in His presence and plead and beg not to be tormented or destroyed before the time; yet Saint and sinner alike have made a perpetual habit of neglecting so great a salvation? The word neglected is translated from a word that means to be unconcerned with, uninterested in, and careless of.

Does Christ interest you? Are you concerned about the suffering He endured to pay for YOUR sin? Do you even care enough to seek Christ for every good and perfect gift that He has purchased on the cross that we might be partakers of the Divine Nature and escape the corruption that is in the world through lust?

This generation, if it responds at all to the message of the cross often does so for selfish motives birthed from selfish preaching and teaching. People in error ask: What can I get from this? What will God bless me with? What is in it all for me? They have found a way to ‘get saved’ without turning their life over to Christ in any real and meaningful way. How does this square with "So great Salvation?"

2004/10/12 8:37Profile
Spitfire

Re: AND THE BOOKS WERE OPENED

Quote:
This generation, if it responds at all to the message of the cross often does so for selfish motives birthed from selfish preaching and teaching. People in error ask: What can I get from this? What will God bless me with? What is in it all for me? They have found a way to ‘get saved’ without turning their life over to Christ in any real and meaningful way. How does this square with "So great Salvation?"

This very thing is what is really bugging me. I think the thing that we don't understand is, Saved from what? I was one of those people. I accepted Jesus because I didn't want to go to hell. You know, everyone said you could avoid hell when you die if you believe that Jesus died for your sins. Well, hey, that's easy enough. I'll take it! After all, it's free ain't it? Oh, and by the way, he came to give you a wonderful life, too! I'll take that too! That was easy. What else you got for me, Jesus? Anything else in your big red bag, Santa, er Jesus? Oh, come on, I saw you gave so and so a big nice house. I deserve one, too. I saw you let so and so get well from cancer, I deserve that, too. You're not very fair, are you Jesus? Don't you see me down here suffering, Jesus? Don't you care? I heard so and so testifying in church that they got a big fat check in the mail, where's mine?

It's making me sick. It's called a demanding spirit, and also ingratitude, which results from pride. We're not crucified with Christ. We're not dead to this world. We're friends with this world and we think Jesus is the button you push to get something you want! It happened to me, I think, because I was raised in a so called Christian home that lived by the world's standard. It really is a false gospel. I had never heard the real gospel until maybe 3 years ago. Oh, I had heard bits and pieces of it, but I never applied it to myself. When we choose Christ according to the real gospel, we are agreeing to die. Then, we also agree to let Christ live in us.

This is how God explained it to me:
I'm in a prison cell on death row, but also, I'm dying of some horrible disease. I'm crying uncontrollably because I know, one way or the other, I'm going to die. Someone comes to my cell door and says, "I'll trade places with you. I'll come in and take your death sentence and your disease, and you can come out and go live my life." I say, "Oh, that's wonderful! I agree!" Then, I walk out of that cell and go home. I immediately begin to live my life the way I always did. Then, I begin to feel sick again. I go to the doctor, he says "You're going to die." When I get home, the cops are there with an arrest warrant. I say, "what's going on, that guy traded places with me. He said he would die in my place." The cop says, "Well, you broke the agreement. The agreement was that he would die in your place, and you would live in his place. Instead, you went back and took up your life." You can't be in two places at once. You can either be dead in Christ, or dead in your sins. Either way, you're going to be dead. It's just that when you die in your sins, you burn in hell for all eternity. When you die in Christ, you find real life.

2004/10/13 8:43Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I'm in a prison cell on death row, but also, I'm dying of some horrible disease. I'm crying uncontrollably because I know, one way or the other, I'm going to die. Someone comes to my cell door and says, "I'll trade places with you. I'll come in and take your death sentence and your disease, and you can come out and go live my life." I say, "Oh, that's wonderful! I agree!" Then, I walk out of that cell and go home. I immediately begin to live my life the way I always did. Then, I begin to feel sick again. I go to the doctor, he says "You're going to die." When I get home, the cops are there with an arrest warrant. I say, "what's going on, that guy traded places with me. He said he would die in my place." The cop says, "Well, you broke the agreement. The agreement was that he would die in your place, and you would live in his place. Instead, you went back and took up your life." You can't be in two places at once. You can either be dead in Christ, or dead in your sins. Either way, you're going to be dead. It's just that when you die in your sins, you burn in hell for all eternity. When you die in Christ, you find real life.

I like this. I can't make it square with my "your either in Christ or not" theology; but I know its useful. Some people make a pretense that they were willing to count the cost and follow Christ; but in reality they had no real intention. There is no FINE print in the Bible. Its all bold and in front of our eyes. We know the demands. We know what we are asked to do. It makes me wonder if people fool themselves until they think they are fooling God. Like, thinking they can slip into the wedding without a garment and no one will notice.

God Bless,

-Robert

2004/10/13 11:24Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re: AND THE BOOKS WERE OPENED

Since there is nothing new under the sun, I suspect it is not so much this generation, nor in the past or will be in the future, any more or less responsive to the message of the cross than any other. Our own history here in the USA is witness to that.
When Christ explained that if we know how to treat our own earthly children, how much more will our Father in heaven bless us. So, yeah, as a saved, born-again beleiver, I wanna know what is in store for me, gift-wise. I care enough to seek Christ for every good and perfect gift. I have trouble practicing His new commision, tho'; Love One Another.
Great take on the devils fearing God and judgement before its time! It really spoke to me; no neglect there! Makes me glad I made my choice thru grace...

2004/10/13 11:54Profile
Spitfire

Re:

Quote:
I like this. I can't make it square with my "your either in Christ or not" theology

I believe Ron and Rahman got into a discussion on another thread (Christian Demon Posession) about the difference between "accept" or "receive" concerning salvation. I also believe that you are either in Christ or you are not. The thing that I have finally understood is that being "in Christ" means coming into agreement with the terms of the agreement. The point of my little story was to illustrate that you are not really "saved" if you aren't keeping the terms of the contract. The thing that made it so clear to me was that I can't be in two places at once. I can either be in Christ, which means I'm dead to my old life, or I can be in my old life, which means I'm not in Christ. So many people think they can have both. That's not possible. As it says in James 2:14, "[i]What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? Can faith save him?"[/i]The answer is no. We are not saved by what we do, but what we do proves that we are saved. I can't do the things that Jesus wouldn't do and be saved. If I do the things Jesus wouldn't do, that means I'm doing them and not him, which proves that I'm not dead in Christ, but alive to my own desires. I guess that's why Jesus said many would stand before him on the day of judgement and be surprised to find out that he denies ever knowing them. Maybe none of us will make it. Jesus did say in Matthew 10:39,"If you cling to your life, you will lose it..." I find I'm still clinging to my life in many ways. One thing I know for sure, there will be millions upon millions in hell who prayed the sinners prayer and went to church every Sunday. That scares the h--- out of me! I'm still trying to give it all up. Oh God, please help us!

2004/10/13 13:55Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Maybe none of us will make it

Be of good cheer! Oberlin theology in its extreme will kill you. There has to be some room for God's grace in this. I'm not saying lets sin that grace may abound and I'm not condoning sin at all; but God is able to make us stand. If we have to be at a level you mentioned in order to make it the above quote is certainly right. To be in Christ is not to make me Christ. He was without sin and I occasionally will need an advocate. The blood will need to cleanse me from all sin. My conscience can be purged from dead works to serve the living God. We are not perfect enough to make it. The outward working of us being in Christ does not meet the standard of Jesus Christ apart from the work of the Cross. I believe in perfection- but this is what scares me.

Quote:
That scares the h--- out of me! I'm still trying to give it all up. Oh God, please help us!

This is what caused Rosie the elderly woman who served God in holiness for her whole life to loose her mind I believe. She had NO assurance. You can't live like that for long.

God Bless,

-Robert

2004/10/13 14:50Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I believe Ron and Rahman got into a discussion on another thread (Christian Demon Posession) about the difference between "accept" or "receive" concerning salvation.

It was the kind of 'discussion' that two people in passing trains might have! A certain amount of volume but not a lot of communication! :-D

We are learning... slowly.

2004/10/13 15:31Profile
Spitfire

Re:

Quote:
This is what caused Rosie the elderly woman who served God in holiness for her whole life to loose her mind I believe. She had NO assurance. You can't live like that for long

Well, I can see why. It's making me a nut! I was running an errand just after making that post and burst into tears just thinking about it. I don't want to spend eternity separated from God, but I don't know if I can really lay my life down before I die! I keep trying to hurry up. :-? I think the law was given to show me just what a lawbreaker I am. Oh, who shall save me from this body of death? Hmmmm....I wonder?

2004/10/13 17:15Profile
Spitfire

Re:

Hey, I feel so stupid. Now, I'm replying to myself. Am I the only one on SI who is working out my salvation? You all must be amused as you read my musings. All I know is, I want to hear him say, "Well done." Please bear with me as I grope my way along. :-)

2004/10/13 17:24Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

You're not the only one struggling with this issue. The rest of us are quiet or at least I am. I pondering the same issue as well. :-?

My questions are very similar to yours. If I'm still struggling with sin, I haven't really died yet? (Both a statement and a question)

We have to have victory over the power of sin. That doesn't necessarily mean we will be sin-free but the power of sin has to broken. For what it's worth to you, you're not alone.

2004/10/13 17:38Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy