SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Share your favorite Scripture!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
anonymity

Re:

[b]"But to the tribe of Levi, Moses had given no inheritance; the Lord God of Israel was their inheritance, as he had said to them." Joshua 14:3[/b]

Someone recently shared this and I liked it a lot :).

2010/3/13 14:49Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

"...to behold the beauty of the LORD,"

This has been on my heart today, to return to a vision of the beauty of God and of our faith and religon.

God has made us to be beautiful souls. And beautiful souls should desire that which is truely beautiful. And there can be nothing more beautiful than God.

But with the ubiquity of spiritual things we can cheapen them and they can loose for us their natural beauty. In the midst of volumes of religous words and works we can forget the profoundness of a single word, like love. And surrounded by religous theology and phrases we can be so little ourselves of what is real in what they attempt to express.

Ours is not a kingdom of cliches.

We can read our Bibles and forget that in each story of the Gospel there is a portrait of Christ. A portrait of God.

The word in the Bible which is translated WORD, it is my understanding that this word means: the thing itself. This is God's desire for us, that He should give us, the thing itself. That He should give us, Himself. He is the reality. The Life. And we should desire this reality and that which is beautiful. And to be changed into His beauty.

Our culture is very much against this. I live in an American city and it is to our shame that I can admit that being here you can get accustomed to seeing filth. Everywhere. The city I live in, Philadelphia, walking through the city you would think that it prides itself upon Art. But so much of the art that it displays, some of it is very grotesque. And the vandals have everywhere defaced things with rottenness and filth.

I once saw a sticker that claimed as its boast and slogan 'beautiful decay'.

Pastor Wurbrand writes in the book Marx & Satan that Karl Marx is the only 'renowned author who has ever called his own writtings... 'swinish books'. He says he called them something else but I cannot relate it here. He says he "conciously, deliberately, gives his readers filth".

And our culture is doing the same.

But our souls were made to be beautiful and to love what is beautiful. God.

I desire to love what is beautiful.

The beauty of God.

2010/3/13 15:07Profile
mela07

Re: Share your favorite Scripture!

Isaiah 6:1-4

1In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the LORD sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.

2Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

3And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

4And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

5Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

2010/3/13 16:00Profile

Hi anonymity,

I liked the verse you quoted, and not sure what was shared in the talk you heard, but want to make sure you didn't miss this bit of history: Deu 10:8, Num 3:12

It is interesting that the initial call on the Levites was to protect the Tabernacle from incursions by strangers by encamping around it, taking care of it in every way, and, mainly, to minister to Aaron and thereby to God Himself.

This speaks of the heart being protected by the body, and the body being the temple of the Holy Spirit.

One of the things which strikes me about the Old and New Testaments, is how often there is a shift from Israel my son, the nation, to Christ and our relationship to God through Him.

Therefore, that Levi was chosen instead of [u]all[/u] the firstborn in Israel, and, that there were fewer Levites than all the firstborn in Israel, (thus metaphorically concentrating the importance of the firstborn in Levi), very much speaks of Christ the firstborn, and us 'the firstborn ones' in Heb 12:23.

Within this, there is the whole matter of the double portion which the firstborn inherited, and, in Eph 1:18, 'the riches of the glory of [u]his [God's] inheritance in [us] the saints[/u].

I love all that!

Sort of related, my all time favourite scripture is in Hebrews, key words attributed to Christ, which I believe helps Christians to understand something about how our bodies are to be sacrificed for the world. It is the entire justification for Paul's Rom 12:1, 2, 3.

5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, [b]but a body hast thou prepared me[/b]: 6 In burnt offerings and [i]sacrifices[/i] for sin thou hast had no pleasure. 7 [b]Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.[/b] Hebrews 10

Recently, I began to understand 'led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. (2 Tim 3:6 (end) 2 Tim 3:7) This is a commentary on the philosophy of the world in which we are encouraged to try everything - regardless of our doubts, our better judgement, our training in righteousness and so on - in order to 'learn' what it feels like, tastes like, smells like, hurts like, (and so on), as if having these sensory experiences is the sole purpose of our existence. 'Ever learning' is, in other words, the diabolical opposite of eating of the tree of eternal life, the eating of which allows the spiritual mortality which entered the world through sin, to be side-stepped through the death of Christ.

I do hope that made sense to someone! Thanks for the opportunity to share it, anyway.

2010/3/15 10:53
mela07

Revelation 22:17
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

2010/3/15 11:02Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John 17:26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Colossians 1:27-28 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

2010/3/15 12:20Profile
anonymity

Re:

[b]Rom 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
Rom 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
Rom 8:30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
Rom 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Rom 8:32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?
Rom 8:33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies.
Rom 8:34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died--more than that, who was raised--who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.
Rom 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?
Rom 8:36 As it is written, "For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered."
Rom 8:37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
Rom 8:38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,
Rom 8:39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.[/b]

I must say that this is one of my all time favorite passages in Scripture! I know that many compromised christians speak only of the love and plans of God, but just because they do it in a false way does not mean that we should not speak of it at all. In fact we should all the more for it is us who know the true love of God and who know the true plan of God and because we walk with Christ in His sufferings and true sacrificial love we can glory in it all the more for we need it and experience it all the more. If it were not for the fact that I knew God had a hand on my life and wasted not a second of my life in His perfect providences I would be greatly woed because it is so hard to give and die to self when you think it is without purpose. Before one becomes a christian one can be afraid of life and men, but afterwords one knows that God has all authority over our lives. Even the bad things turn to good! To think of the One who redeems us sovereignly and to think that this one who has all power and control is also the one who loves greater then all! In my personal life I have needed this and it helps us who are regarded as sheep and slaughtered all day long to know that we are blessed beyond comprehension!

2010/3/16 1:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy