SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : question of fellowship

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

question of fellowship

Hi

Can you have true Biblical fellowship with other believers via the internet? I am wondering if others believe this to be possible or not? I don't mean having fellowship that is in replacement to having fellowship with those that are around you but rather in addition too. I mentioned that I really enjoy my fellowship with some of the sisters who come to SI and I was challenged on my choice of words. This person said that it is impossible to have real Biblical fellowship with another believer unless you are in the same city and able to meet with each other. It can not be done over the internet or phone.

Just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts on this.

God Bless
maryjane

2010/3/8 11:32Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: question of fellowship

You can most certainly have fellowship with another believer via the internet. 1 John 1 makes it clear we already all have fellowship with one another through the union we have in Christ because of His blood. However, I don't believe this sort of fellowship ought to be a substitute for "assembling" ourselves together with face to face contact, as we share our lives together.

2010/3/8 11:53Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Felowship centers upon shared interests and common
values. Some of what has been shared here on SI
has been edifying, inspiring, and fruitful in my
walk with the LORD!!
The Spirit of true fellowship is found in
Philippians 2:1-5. I would like to see more of
that same Spirit here on the forums!!

2010/3/8 12:05Profile

I have had a great deal of fellowship over the internet, on SI, on msn IM and skype. After a while of text convos, it becomes natural to want to share by voice, but this is a privilege, and certainly not a right, which must be held with a very light touch.

Regarding voice (telephone, skype and msn), it is a very acurate way to determine how real a person is, in the same way as when you meet someone for a coffee.

If the camera is not used, it also cuts out all the distracting visual information on which many people depend, but which adds nothing positive to what you know about the heart. Sadly, many Christians judge on appearance, and I would certainly recommend examining oneself on this point.

I would love to be able to hold a regular Bible study with a few people over skype, like the prayer meeting Frank hosts (but different, of course).

2010/3/8 12:44
MaryJane

Re:

I agree with some of the things said that we should not forsake fellowship with those around us, but this brought up another question for me. What is fellowship, are a certain number of believers needed to be present in order to have fellowship the way it is talked about in the Word? Can you have fellowship if its two or does their have to be a large group of believers?

Just wanted to add that I have also benefited a great deal in my walk with the Lord through fellowship with some of the sisters and brothers here on SI. At times it has been challenging to me but in good ways that have helped me to grow in Him.

Thanks for the responses
God Bless
maryjane

2010/3/8 14:14Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Well, you can't very well fellowship by yourself. You would need at least one other person. And if everything is established with two or three witnesses, then that would seem to be all you needed.

2010/3/8 18:28Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
Well, you can't very well fellowship by yourself. You would need at least one other person.

Thank you KingJimmy that made me smile.I was feeling a bit low and that brightened my day:)

I asked about how many believers need be present because many times when I have had teachings shared with me on fellowship there seems to be an importance placed on how many people are present. Kind of like its a set rule there must be x amount of people for it to be truly Biblical fellowship. I have fellowship with some(not attending a church at the moment) in my home and I fellowship with some very dear brothers and sisters here. I was challanged on this and I began wondering if I really understand what Biblical fellowship is.

Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Be blessed
Mary jane

2010/3/8 19:12Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

What is fellowship? I think Jimmy gave an excellent answer.

I have fellowship with others using the phone, internet, and in person. All are inspiring, uplifting and encouraging. If one is encouraged, challenged this is fellowship regardless of the means in which this occurs.

I love the fellowship one has on the forums; love to hear others' viewpoints, even if it differs from mine. If everyone would be like me, the world would be a boring place! lol

BTW, scripture does not have anything to say about this, does it?

My two cents worth...

ginnyrose

2010/3/8 19:12Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

In this discussion, are we equating Christian fellowship with church meeting?

Regarding fellowship, it seems like that could occur between two Christians walking down the street.

But, a Scriptural church meeting seems to be more formal than that. In other words, it had a set time (the first day of the week). Certain things happened: prayer, teaching, singing, Lord's Supper. There were also presumably elders present.

With care in Christ...

2010/3/8 19:16Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
BTW, scripture does not have anything to say about this, does it?

Yes I think it does have some things to say about this:) I have been spending some time this afternoon looking into this more.

I have grown much from our fellowship together ginnyrose. I am very grateful for all your kind support and help.

God Bless
maryjane

2010/3/8 19:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy